Bare Necessities

Supposed to be double movement on coast rather than ocean.. hmm
Really? All this while I've been playing with this mod, I assumed the ocean movement is to simulate the dominance of navy in global affairs in the later eras. :lol:

Supposed to be double movement on coast rather than ocean.. hmm.
I tried this promo in other circumstance before. In many case, it breaks balance.
If you want to keep it anyway, there is a promo and promo icon available in VP base (unused) :
promoVP_01_256.png

'PROMOTION_STEAM_POWERED'
Set in promoIcons_Update_Main.sql (IconAtlas = 'promoVP_atlas_01' PortraitIndex = '34')

EDIT :
Currently NW_NavalAcademy.sql says:
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--Promotions, Terrain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSERT INTO UnitPromotions_Terrains (PromotionType,    TerrainType,        DoubleMove)
SELECT 'PROMOTION_FA_SEA_ACADEMY',                    'TERRAIN_OCEAN',    1;
With a magnificent white triangle

Last edited:
National Air Force Academy only gives trained air units in that city evasion I.
It doesn't

NW_AirAcademy.sql says:
Code:
--Buildings
INSERT INTO Buildings (Type,            BuildingClass,                        PrereqTech,            Cost,    NumCityCostMod,    TrainedFreePromotion,    NukeImmune,    NeverCapture,    HurryCostModifier,    IconAtlas,        PortraitIndex,    Description,                        Help,                                    Strategy,                                    Civilopedia,                                ArtDefineTag,                    MinAreaSize)
SELECT 'BUILDING_FA_AIR_ACADEMY',        'BUILDINGCLASS_FA_AIR_ACADEMY',        'TECH_FLIGHT',        125,    20,                'PROMOTION_EVASION',    1,            1,                -1,                    'FA_NW_ATLAS',    8,                'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FA_AIR_ACADEMY',    'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FA_AIR_ACADEMY_HELP',    'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FA_AIR_ACADEMY_STRATEGY',    'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_FA_AIR_ACADEMY_PEDIA',    'ART_DEF_BUILDING_IRONWORKS',    -1;

evasion I is 'PROMOTION_EVASION_I'

Would changing the naval promotion to be double movement in friendly territory be better balanced? In that case, it would be more like road/rail for naval units. I think that will need DLL changes, but I can handle that.

I do like the double movement though, as without it, navy is so much slower than land units (in friendly territory), which feels wrong to me.

I think Air Academy should give something more interesting than Evasion I. Something like Quick Learner perhaps? Useful given that air units are this late.

How about the National Military Academy? Perhaps it ought to get something more interesting as well?

I think Air Academy should give something more interesting than Evasion I. Something like Quick Learner perhaps? Useful given that air units are this late.
:thumbsup:
XP booster would be welcome

navy is so much slower than land units
Because it's Navy ! Before steam power, a powerful Ship of Line could be still on sea waiting for wind.
I suggest +25XP instead +15XP. No extra promo

National Military Academy? Perhaps it ought to get something more interesting as well?
I suggest a random promo among few from existing ones

Because it's Navy ! Before steam power, a powerful Ship of Line could be still on sea waiting for wind.
I suggest +25XP instead +15XP. No extra promo
Not to the degree of being slower than land though, probably.

We can also keep double movement on some condition, but push it later as well.

Not to the degree of being slower than land though, probably.
Out of road, Mecanized infantry is 2 mov
Navy is very powerful in front of Land Units on sea
Carrier/Air Units change everything
Nav Units moving like Land Units would break all tactic enjoyments IMO

Last edited:
Simple request: Would it be possible to add an "option" file where each module can be removed individually?
It would make it easier for me when I'm making my modpack with "improved interface" but no other change.

Simple request: Would it be possible to add an "option" file where each module can be removed individually?
It would make it easier for me when I'm making my modpack with "improved interface" but no other change.
simple as

seemsgood is the religion thing.

Last edited:
Hi Enginseer; thanks for your work! This mod conflicts with your Community Balance Compatibility mod. Is there any work around so both can be used?

Hi Enginseer; thanks for your work! This mod conflicts with your Community Balance Compatibility mod. Is there any work around so both can be used?
Because one of them are based on the same source? What is missing in CBC that isn't seen in Bare Necessities?

Because one of them are based on the same source? What is missing in CBC that isn't seen in Bare Necessities?
I don't see the Building - Upgrade System Compatibility, Industrial Buildings Pack Compatibility, Brazilwood Camp Extension Compatibility, Moai Extension Compatibility, Polder Extension Compatibility, Kasbah Extension Compatibility, Terrace Farm Extension Compatibility, Chateau Extension Compatibility, Strategic Building Compatibility, Medieval and Renaissance Compatibility that were in CBC.
I may have missed them, so forgive me if they are included.

Hi, wanted to report an issue I have.
I moved from the 10-23 version of VP to the latest beta 11/25 and I found out that I cannot build any of the added belief buildings anymore.
Here in the pic I selected Kongmiao and Mandirs but both in the religion and city view I can only buy Mandirs with faith, the other one doesn't appear at all even though all of them are correctly loaded to the game as they appear on the pedia and I can manually add them with IGE.
All the other mod features (governor, national wonders) work as intended.
I have the usual mods enabled, the only change was installing the new VP version.
What can be the cause?

I found the culprit.
I looked into database.log and found this
Code:
[347870.906] no such table: Building_ScienceFromYield
so I checked the SeemsGood.sql and found that this
Code:
INSERT INTO Building_ScienceFromYield (BuildingType, YieldType, Yield)
SELECT 'BUILDING_ATASH', 'YIELD_FAITH', 15;
was invalidating the next part of the file and in particular the INSERT INTO Belief_BuildingClassFaithPurchase (BeliefType, BuildingClassType) chunk that links the buildings with the related beliefs.
I commented out the two lines and now it works like before.

The building_science from yield has been replaced with a building_yieldfromyield. G fixed a recursion error that was restricting yield conversions from all types to all types.

The building_science from yield has been replaced with a building_yieldfromyield. G fixed a recursion error that was restricting yield conversions from all types to all types.

So do I just edit it into
INSERT INTO Building_YieldFromYieldPercent (BuildingType, YieldIn, YieldOut, Value)
SELECT 'BUILDING_ATASH', 'YIELD_FAITH', 'YIELD_SCIENCE', 15;

Hello everyone. I have the same issue where the religious buildings can't be purchased even though the belief was chosen. I still don't understand how to fix this. Can you please tell me exactly what lines of what file I should be commenting out? Do I delete the text entirely? Please clarify for me as the instructions are not clear for someone who just wants to enjoy the game without having to do any sort of mod coding or edits.

Top Bottom