1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beastmaster

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by Nomad or What, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

No worries - if your urgency changes, let me know. It should be rather straightforward once I have the scaling glitches figured out.

2. rikomasu

rikomasu Chieftain

Love these :thanx:

3. mrkingkong

mrkingkong Young Padawan

These are great, I am intending on using them as part of my 'dark elves' type of race- the troll-hunting, wild-beast-riding, huge-axe-wielding kind ;)

:goodjob:

(EDIT- sorry for the accidental bump, didn't read the last post date before I posted! having said that, praising fine work is never ultimately too uncool. GJ again)

4. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Pfff, resuscitating one of Nomad's units is never a bad thing, particularly if you consider that we're not likely to see any new ones...

5. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

I wonder what happened to him...

6. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Hard drive crash, is what he told me.

7. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

Ouch. :(

8. Nomad or What

New longsword-wielding unit added to the unmounted version; teamcolor skins added. Unmounted version now uses female sounds. Download changes from the Unmounted Beastmaster link in the OP.

Spoiler :

9. Nomad or What

PawelS, did you still have a need for a tribal version of this? It shouldn't be terribly difficult to do; if you want an Aztec Jaguar Warrior I can do that but essentially any humanoid unit can be rigged as the rider.

10. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Yes, I'm releasing the mood soon and it would be a good unit to add to it. And as far as I know there is no existing unit that looks like a tribal warrior riding a big cat, so perhaps it will be useful for other people too. It can be the Aztec Jaguar Warrior, or something different if you think it looks better - perhaps the Maya Knight from here?

11. Nomad or What

OK, the Beastmaster uses custom animations better suited for a sword or axe-like weapon. So I can rig a humanoid unit such as the swordsman/longswordsman Maya that uses these weapon animations or, alternately, I can rig the cat to use a standard CiV mounted unit such as the Knight and use the Maya Knight for the rider, where it can use a spear/lance. Each has its advantages and disadvantages; custom animations have some limitations as to how they function in the game, but trying to rig a cat to horse animations will make it appear a bit clunky. If you want to use the Knight Maya I can replace the spear with a macuahuitl. Which would you prefer?

12. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

You can use the Knight Maya with a macuahuitl, the Maya Swordsman, the Aztec Longswordsman (Danrell's) or the standard Aztec Jaguar - all these options are fine for me.

Btw, is it possible to place an archer on the cat? If so, then you can also make a version with the Maya Longbowman on it :)

13. Nomad or What

For an archer I would have to rig the cat to Keshik (horse archer) animations per my previous post.

14. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

If you can do it and it will look OK (doesn't have to look great), then I'm all for it :)

15. Nomad or What

Sure; it would behave similar to the other animal rider units I have converted, such as the orc and goblin riders. I would recommend that, if you were planning to run an entire lineup of units, I could create a rig of the cat to CiV mounted unit animations relegated to the generic unit types and use the custom animation version as a hero/general unit. The cat animations are beautiful with the custom anims but the rider actions are limited to a sword/axe, whereas focus on the horse rig CiV unit animations would be on the rider and minimal animation from the cat.

16. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Well, I planned to use only 2 such units, one melee and one ranged. But if you make more units, I think I will find some use for them too :)

17. bane_

bane_ Howardianism High-Priest

18. Nomad or What

Sooooo the cat is a tiger, very highpoly, and difficult to rig to horse anims. Besides, ideally I think a jaguar is more fitting instead. Civ IV has a very lowpoly jaguar that I could use as a mount and rig to horse animations. It certainly won't look the greatest but at small scale it should be OK. I can do both units that way. If I am determined enough (i.e., not lazy) then I will see if I can find cat sounds to replace the horse sounds.

19. Nomad or What

20. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

Looks great, thanks :)