Beginners Guide

Stelmack

Warlord
There are some feature in C2C, such as crime, which I do not fully understand nor know how to deal with. Is there some sort of guide I can find that will explain all of these new features to me, or must I learn from experience?

Thanks,

Stelmack.

Crime and Punishment is a current WIP. Basically any building that has a + adds to the Crime level. At certain levels of added (+) Crime new buildings/consequences of crime in the city will occur.

To counter Crime you will need to build the -Crime Bldgs and Crime deterrent units like the Town Watchman. These Crime reducing units have promotions that help reduce the crime.

Currently if your Crime level is 100 or below you're doing fine. If you get over 200 Crime then the consequence begin to manifest in your city and it's surrounding fat X tiles. The Higher the level the worse it gets.

It's another wrinkle to keeping your city Happy and Healthy. And has the same game mechanics as Health and Happiness.

Similar added features are Flammability, Water Pollution, and Air Pollution. These are being Developed right now too.

All these added features can be Gold robbers as well as Health and Happiness detractors.

JosEPh

It's another wrinkle to keeping your city Happy and Healthy. And has the same game mechanics as Health and Happiness.

This part is slightly misleading because it's absolutely not the same mechanic, because buildings with +N crime don't add N to your crime level, they increase the rate by N per turn, and the level it will stabilize at depends on the crime decay rate (at the current 10% [I thiknk] that meas the equilibrium value will be approx 10 times the total crime on your buildings, but it won't get there right away)

I thought we'd done that already? Perhaps I'll get on that when I get to doing some explaining on some of my own additions in the works.

To make it show up in the pedia, you have to, in addition to adding something to a GameText file, add an entry to the CIV4NewConceptInfos.xml in the BasicInfos folder. Did you do that?

To make it show up in the pedia, you have to, in addition to adding something to a GameText file, add an entry to the CIV4NewConceptInfos.xml in the BasicInfos folder. Did you do that?

Thanks for the tip... I'll try to remember to refer back to this when I get there as I'm still learning in that dept. But it wasn't me that had done this... I thought someone else had, like, if memory serves, MrAzure perhaps?

This part is slightly misleading because it's absolutely not the same mechanic, because buildings with +N crime don't add N to your crime level, they increase the rate by N per turn, and the level it will stabilize at depends on the crime decay rate (at the current 10% [I thiknk] that meas the equilibrium value will be approx 10 times the total crime on your buildings, but it won't get there right away)

This sounds just like my Calculus with Analytical Geometry classes of 27+ years ago!:crazyeye: My old brain doesn't remember even half of that stuff. :blush: So in simple English this means.....what? I can build forty +crime bldgs and only need a town watchman and 3 or 4 -crime bldgs and not wreck my game?

JosEPh :confused:

Thanks for the fast response guys, I'm normally not so used to that coming from the dieing ROM thread.

This did help explain why I was getting fire events so much. I had a real hunch of what was said here though, because I got more and more fire events. Crime not so much but I found a few of the consequences in the wiki. I saw one promotion adds crime, so I guess it is a good idea to keep units with said promotion out of the city.

Also, Where can I build the myth - sea if I can't build it anywhere with a song of the sea, but that appeared in all of my cities at the same time?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the fast response guys, I'm normally not so used to that coming from the dieing ROM thread.

This did help explain why I was getting fire events so much. I had a real hunch of what was said here though, because I got more and more fire events. Crime not so much but I found a few of the consequences in the wiki. I saw one promotion adds crime, so I guess it is a good idea to keep units with said promotion out of the city.

Also, Where can I build the myth - sea if I can't build it anywhere with a song of the sea, but that appeared in all of my cities at the same time?

Thanks again.

I had to introduce "Myth - Sea" for nations that had a land locked capital city. You can only build one and you should build it in the city you intend to make a research center since t allows all the other sea myth buildings. To make it so you can only build one it gives a free "Song of the Sea" to all cities in your nation.

This sounds just like my Calculus with Analytical Geometry classes of 27+ years ago!:crazyeye: My old brain doesn't remember even half of that stuff. :blush: So in simple English this means.....what? I can build forty +crime bldgs and only need a town watchman and 3 or 4 -crime bldgs and not wreck my game?

JosEPh :confused:

Crime will stabilize at approx 10 times the net total of crime per turn in a city. Assuming the only factors are your buildings, population, and units (so neglecting crime per turn from trading with crime-ridden cities, and assymetric warfare your enemies are indulging in, with deliberately planted nearby positive crime units) you need to have anti-crime totalling somthing close to (but not neccessarily equal to (since you can tolerate SOME crime) the positive crime you get from population and buildings. By the later game (when cities become large) you'll find that population driven crime dominates over building-driven crime, and compensating with crime fighting units is (net) cheaper than refraining from building things anyway. Thus my advice is to go ahead and build stuff that has good effects even it it adds crime, because (a) it ultimately will be a small factor; and (b) it's fairly easy to compensate for. The only word of caution is that in the earlier game, before you have access to any crime fighting units, you might want to be a bit more selective.

Thank you.

JosEPh

Ok dumb question time - what tech is it I need to be able to set a state religion? I can never rememebr and try as I might I can't find it in the pedia. I founded Tengriism a while back and now want to switch to it but it tells me I can't (and doesn't say why). Pretty sure its because some tech I lack is needed for ANY state religion...?

You don't need a tech per se, you need a Civic. Divine Cult or Prophets are the two first ones that allow State Religion.
Irreligion and Folklore do not.

Cheers

Monotheism (tech not civic) allows to change religion civics to state religion.
(by hovering over state religion in the civic advisor you'd also get this info)

What actually means "resource must be in city vicinity"? I thought it is the fat cross, i.e. when city can work that resource, it is in city vicinity. But now Bisons appeared 2 tiles away from my city (still in normal fat cross), I work that resource and found Scavenging Camp there - it'll be a Camp in 40 turns. I wanted Bison Hunter's Camp, so I researched Hunting and Shelter Building. Seems now I got everything, but I still cant build Bison Hunter's Camp :confused:

Do you have a path (any road type) connecting it to the city? I believe that's necessary to establish the condition of 'resource in city vicinity'...

Top Bottom