Beginning of the World As We Know It: A Test

Kill off about 100 of your population and you could live forever in your little cave :mischief:

So EQ, that radiation in the supply depot, how fast would it kill someone/render them incapable of work?

If the update says it's impassable without protection (power armor). It's impassable. Any scavenging or scouting results in rapid death.

Minutes.

Just for fun, a quick and inaccurate Paint.net map of Revere School District and local region!

EDIT: Tan is Wastelands or 100% useless. Light grey is built up areas, dark grey are built up possible obstacles: bridges, highways, notable ruins ect. Grey is generic.

Goddamnit, turn 1 and still no scraps.

Just how brutally will power armour and high-tech laser weapons smash low tech raiders and things like that?

I'll leave you to determine the answer to that.

@EQ; I'm a little lost on how farming equipment works.

Right now, I'm in a bunker thats unsuitable for farming. Can I, say, build farming equipment between Salisbury and Mt Davis, and that food production would be added to the Nor-Ad settlement?

Or would I have to build a whole new settlement in the farmlands to be able to take advantage of it?

As I believe I mentioned in the update, the area actually around your bunker is perfectly good for farming. Farming Equipment built at the bunker would be used in the area immediately surrounding the bunker. If you wish to build it between the two areas, yes, you'll need a new settlement.

Just a quick question. Can certain types of structures be built again (Ex: Farming Equipment) to improve their production? The upgraded stuctures can be shown as "Farming Equipment II" or "Farming Equipment +2." Only reason I'm asking is it could be difficult to provide food for everyone for an extended period of time if only one Farming equipment or other structure can be built at a single settlement.

Yes, though eventually farming equipment will offer reduced returns. Also multiple water pumps will increase the speed that local water sources are drained and therefore useless.

Water Purifier: This structure helps purify water found in the wasteland, not from a lake or river. This means irradiated bottled water mostly, but could also be sewage or otherwise. Also includes acting as a purification cistern for rainwater.
I have a lot of questions on this that have been floating about my mind about the Water Purifier building.

1) So there are irradiated bottled water to be scavenged? Or is this more for stored water that gets irradiated?

2) If I connect a Water Purifier permanently to treat sewage... how much people can it handle? What is the general water/people recovery ratio? Is this one of the things there will be a max capacity for?

3) I know rainwater depends on weather patterns, but would this be "store water, goes through purifier" or more "goes through purifier, water into storage"?.

2) If I connect a Water Purifier permanently to treat sewage... how much people can it handle? What is the general water/people recovery ratio?

:wow: Talk about dont drink the water... :vomit:Also, wouldn't there still be pathogens and chemicals in the sewage water that the purifier couldn't treat?

Myths and Legends of Nor-Ad

How the Founding Fathers Became the Rulers of Creation

In the Beginning, the earth was without form, and void. All that existed was a single egg, that floated from the chaos. And then from the egg were born three great spirits.

The first spirit was named Anglan. He was great and mighty, and he helped the second spirit to be born. Her name was Farans, and she was wise and full of learning. The two helped the third hatch. The third was named Chin, and he was cunning and pragmatic Together Anglan, Farans, and Chin reigned over the void.

However, Anglan and Farans grew tired of reigning over an empty kingdom. And so they decided to forge a new land to reign over, with beings to serve as their subjects. Farans and Chin cut off part of Anglan's skin, and from his flesh sprang the Land of Congress, a magical country where food grew from the ground without planting and the rivers ran with wine. And then Farans and Chin pierced Anglan with their nails, and from his blood sprang the Founding Fathers.

The First Founding Father was named Washington, and he was the Greatest of the Fathers, being the strongest Father in Congress like Anglan. His brother was named Franklin, who was wise and clever like Farans. Then there was Hamilton, who was crafty and cunning, and Jefferson who was a greater speaker and could whip up the Fathers into a frenzy. And many more gods and goddesses were born.

And Anglan spoke to the Fathers, and said unto them,
"I grant unto you the lands of Congress, so that you may till them and work them grow your tea as you see fit. But remember your loyalty unto me, and serve me for the rest of your days. And from all the tea that you harvest, I shall take my portion." And the Fathers were grateful, and did as they were bid, and they laboured for Anglan for 100 years.

But one day Washington grew tired of labouring for Anglan. And he came to Anglan and said unto him, "Great Anglan, I greatly desire to work for you and grant you the fruits of my labour, but I must feed myself also. If you would but reduce the portion of tea that you taketh from me and my people, we would be eternally grateful."

But Anglan grew lazy and proud and greedy, and could not bear to give up any of the harvest that he received. And so he flew into a rage, and cast Washington from Congress to wander the Earth. And Washington's brothers Franklin, Hamilton and Jefferson joined him in his exile, for they were loyal to him and followed him everywhere.

But Washington still desired to return to Congress, and so Hamilton made a cunning plan to return. They fashioned for themselves ragged cloaks from the void outside Congress, and came to its doors. And Washington spoke,
"Great Anglan! We come from the great lands far away, from another realm of creation!"

And Anglan was incensed that their existed another god capable of creating, and let Washington and the Founding Fathers in. But when he saw that they were those he exiled, Anglan flew into a great rage.
"Why have you returned to Congress?" he cried in rage, and demanded that they leave.

But Washington was incensed and wished to return to Congress, and he also flew into a great rage. And he turned to the tea that Anglan had collected from all the Fathers, and he raised it up above his head with his great strength, and threw it into the ocean.

"Founding Fathers!" he cried, as he stood aboard the seashore. "Will you let Anglan take from you his portion while you are enslaved? Will you suffer to be stolen from without being represented? No taxation without representation!" he cried.

And Jefferson stood, and gave a great speech, and exhorted the Founding Fathers to make war against Anglan. And they were so moved by Jefferson's speech that they rose against Anglan as a great mass, and made war against his rule.

The war raged for 100 years, for Anglan was a great and mighty ruler and could make servants and great warriors to do his bidding. But Washington was mighty too, and they were evenly matched as Congress was riven by war.

But Chin was envious of Anglan and his power, and desired further dominion over Congress. And so he crept into Anglan's fortress, and stole from him the Constitution that was the source of all his powers. And Chin granted the paper to Washington, and said, "this Constitution is the source of all of Anglan's power. Take it, and smite the blow that will free your people."

And Washington knew not of Chin's duplicity, and fought hard against Anglan, smiting his minions with the Constitution. And so he he came against Anglan himself at his fortress, and smote him with the Constitution in a single blow, and Anglan turned to dust.

And then Washington cried out, and said, "Now I am the holder of this constitution. The source of all Anglan's powers is mine. And by this Constitution, I am now the Ruler of Congress.

And that was how Washington and the Founding Fathers became the rulers of Creation.

"And... there. That should about do it." Jim had just finished wiring up the old radio equipment to the large antenna on the roof of their compound, DOW Chemical.

A chorus of claps and cheers came from the crowd of people clustered around Jim and the antenna.

"About time!"
"Finally!"
"Goodjob!"

"Thanks for the honors, fellow Wolverines," said Jim as he looked over the group of people. "But lets not celebrate yet, as we have yet to broadcast our first transmission!"

With that, Jim swung around and flicked a switch. A loud whine of feedback immediately shot through the ears of everyone on the rooftop as he picked up an old microphone.

"Sorry!" Jim said sheepishly, careful not to yell into the mic.

Holding the microphone at arms length, he began to speak.

Good Afternoon, people of the Wasteland!
This is your new radio host, Jim of the Wolverines.
We're so glad that you can join us today for our first ever broadcast.
You are listening to the first broadcast of WNES Radio.
Wolverine News, Entertainment, and Science.

I'd like to join this nes in lower Manhattan, if I may apply.

Faction Name: Wall Street Republic
Leader Name: Adam Cordell
Leader Trait: Charismatic
Starting Location: Wall Street, New York City, New York
Origins: Survivors
Traits: Expansionist
Capital Type: Urban Ruin

Background to be filled in. Edit: see below.

Foundation of the Wall Street Republic

The East Coast, by its breadth of urbanization, was guaranteed to preserve the lives of a few lucky survivors, sprinkled across its vast ruins. New York invariably had its own of this creed, who struggled to survive in the immediate years after the apocalypse. The diversity of survivors - from stock brokers to construction workers to government scientists to police officers - created an urgent need for cooperation, bringing them together to form the first families of the new age. They constructed canoes to expediently support scavenging operations between the different districts of the former city, while others’ military and scientific knowledge was used to create the new New York central settlement, Wall Street, as a secure fort against the more aggressive survivors and migrants of further quarters of the ruins.

The families of this group of survivors first settled Central Park, where they could scrape together dead wood into canoes for their explorations. However, Central Park, being flat compared to the surrounding concrete decay, also made it the easiest to sneak up to and raid, forcing the families south, to the financial district. The location served even better, being directly beside the coast, allowing for less dangerous exploratory travel.

The Wall Street survivors obtained the title of Republic through the first sessions of discourse which founded their method of governing. By now well into the first post-war generation, the children of politically active survivors, whether sons and daughters of former venture capitalists or public speakers, had divided the settlement on the issue of leadership. Informal public meetings which had been so vital to the organizing of tasks in the community in the beginning, had increasingly become bitter contests for popularity, eventually resulting in the last informal public meeting with the dual of Adam Cordell and William Everest, the leaders of the two camps. The brawl eliminated many of Everest’s rivals, and secured Adam Cordell as the victor. He declared, with his allies, a code of rules formalizing the system of public meetings in the Republic, creating the Senate and the office of President, both voted on by everyone in the community. Adam Cordell was elected to be the first President of Wall Street, quickly pardoning those who fought beside Everest to guarantee his leadership.

Top Bottom