1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

being denounced

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by rrr11r, Dec 17, 2010.

1. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Sounds like attacking CS's now has a greater penalty. If you had a 1000 coin laying around, would allying with them have better served your purpose? Taking out a CS lowers the vote count for a diplo victory. If you are short on CS's to begin with, this would really upset an AI who was going for a diplo victory. It would be interesting to see if any one tried to liberate the CS.

2. NackteElfe

NackteElfe Chieftain

Well, I was in the middle of an continent and had a small strip of land under my control, so it would be easy for the AI to go for the CS but they just sent one unit.

I didn't have the gold and I didn't want to ally them, because they were irrational and I can't stand that. Attacking other CS's just gets you in more trouble... Actually the very trouble I am in right now ;)

I don't know I do not feel like finishing this game. I guess I start a new one.

3. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru King

I've seen it listed as one of the reasons someone didn't like me in a tooltip. A civ I was at peace with after a previous war asked me why my troops were on their border, and I lied, then attacked a couple of turns later. It showed up in the reasons for other civs that were in contact ("You broke your promise" or something like that).

Means that if the AI asks if you are planning something, you should use the option to declare right then to avoid a diplomatic hit. If he calls you out on your troop movements you should either declare or call off the war then if you care about good relations.

4. NackteElfe

NackteElfe Chieftain

Interesting...
    In my save I tried telling the complaining other nations that I will stop attacking the cs... But the game crashed every time a few rounds after, so I reloaded and told them that I don't care what they think, to the results I posted before.

5. GKrumble

GKrumble Chieftain

The game shouldn't have the other AIs worrying about you winning. The entire point of the game isn't to win, its to build a civilization! If denouncing depends on how close you are to winning or if you have a slightly better score, it shouldn't matter. AI should play like civilizations, not players trying to win a game, they should do whats best for their country, (like not declaring war on me when I am clearly bigger, badder and more advanced just because the world denounced me)

6. NackteElfe

NackteElfe Chieftain

@KGKrumble
    Where is a "Like" Button when you need it? ;)

7. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

I hope diplomacy gets fixed. You can work with it as it is, but sometimes it just seems to make no sense at all.

I seen the AI pop up and denounce me and the mouse-over only shows the red bullet point "They have denounced us". So... They denounced us, because they denounced us?? Huh? Makes no sense.

I also hate it when I see the red bullet point for "They asked us to move our troops, you said you would, then broke your word" (or words to that effect).

I make a point of never lying to the AI ever. If they say "Are you going to declare war" and I am, I say "yes". If I'm just passing though, I say "Just passing through", yet I've seen it lots of times that I "broke my word" when I never did any such thing.

The AI just made it up. Very frustrating when you deliberately play to avoid these negative modifiers and get them anyway.

I also hate the AI telling me not to settle near them when I haven't settled a city for 1000 years or so. I regularly settle 3-5 cities and then just puppet. If an AI asks me not to settle near them, I say I wont, and then I don't. Then 1000 years later they're annoyed with me because I said I wouldn't settle near them, but according to them, I did, even though I did no such thing!

So many bugs. The QA manager needs to be fired, or at least demoted to tea boy. But I wouldn't drink his tea. He'd probably say I asked for sugar when I didn't and bring me English Breakfast instead of Earl Gray and then denounce me for sitting too close to his tea trolley, when I'm on the other side of the room from it.

8. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

I am ancient in the Civ series, new to Civ V so imagine my surprise in an early game when Ghandi, who was expanding like mad, completely surrounded my two-city empire. Those two cities were both on the coast and I had nowhere to go. Okay, it's early days and I'm expecting to lose a lot while I learn my way around. Ghandi then asks why I'm putting units along his border. Um, because there's nowhere else to put them. We've been getting along famously until now. Ghandi denounces me because although I'd replied that I didn't intend war the units were still there. A few turns later, he DOWs and I get crushed. Lesson learned.

Vengeful type that I am, I reloaded the initial AutoSave, expanded a bit more quickly, beelined a couple of military techs, and smashed him.

9. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

I disagree. The point of building a civilization is to be the best of the bests!!! To be the most scientific country, most wealth, or has the most cultural influences, or strongest military in the world. "Winning" the game IS the goal of building a civilization. If you are right, then why did we have the space race between US and USSR?

10. notcryptic

notcryptic Chieftain

I always seem to have problems with denouncing, normally by friendly civ's , but I have also noticed that if a guarded civ turns friendly they usually are about to declare war on you.

11. merubhanot

merubhanot Chieftain

Basically, this entire thread can be summed up by us all agreeing that diplomacy is not well done in Civ 5/often makes no sense. I think we all knew that though.

Denouncing has actually struck me as one of the few parts of diplomacy that is helpful. Once you're denounced, you at least know about that AI's hostile intentions towards you (even if it makes no sense for them to denounce you). I've had an AI agree to declare war on someone in 10 turns with me, then immediately denounce me the next turn. Made no sense, but good to know that they're probably not helping me out.

12. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

I always figured that this was due to you just throwing him into a grinding war with absolutely little or zero gain, and absolutely no chance of peace for 15 turns, and he only realized this after you paid him off.

13. theemaster

theemaster Chieftain

Sometimes, I've wondered if the "denouncing" is for city-states..?? after all if you denounce someone you get 30-40 influence points with the city.. sometimes I think the AI's have to do the same thing..

14. Xile

Xile Chieftain

Strange, whenever an AI takes a city state in my games whole world denounces them on the next turn and DoWs them couple of turns later, so I hadn't even considered attacking a city state.

Then there are AIs I've never had decent relations with, well, actually just one - Alex, even the other AIs don't get along with him usually.

Though the last game something peculiar happened, Hiawatha DoW'd me, walked like 5 units into my borders where they died to machine guns and asked for peace, giving me 1k gold, which I took, since I was 2 turns away from completing my last SS part. Then on the next turn he remembered that we had a copper for salt deal before the "war" and came to me with an even trade as if the war had only happened in my head.

15. methinkso

methinkso Prince

Haha, oh man... I only wish the AI could be that intricate.

16. Jakexbox10

Jakexbox10 Chieftain

Awsome thx for ur time:king:

17. Artingel78

Artingel78 Elephant Commander

Ignore that, just make them pay for that NOT in time, right now.Own there stupid faces, and beat them to death.

18. PostConsumerWat

PostConsumerWat Chieftain

sounds like the AI diplomacy is doing some pwn'ing... it's messing with you guys hardcore..

;]

19. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

So tired of denounce in civ 5.. its a joke and doesn't make any sense.

I've managed to keep my nose clean the whole game apart from 1 war I helped america out after being asked early in game.

playing huge earth map 12 civ's, 300bc.

China spy killed by mine in london while trying to steal a tech, I demand they stop spying on me and I forgave them. Few turns later China stole a tech from london, I demand they stop and denounce them, after all they said they would stop and it was the 2nd time. I hit end turn they then denounce me.. for what reason? what did I do? Its a joke.

20. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

They denounced you in response to your denouncing them? Shocking....