Beneath the Jade Moon (pre-NES)

...and Asaal. :p Sorry erez.

Thlayli: I was thinking of having a "pool" of mercenaries that represents their collective manpower. I don't know if it's a good idea to allow others to pay more for the troops within that pool via bribery. It's an interesting concept, but I feel it might lead to a lot of unforeseen consequences, game-world logistics problems, and back-and-forth bidding.

...and Asaal. :p Sorry erez.

Thlayli: I was thinking of having a "pool" of mercenaries that represents their collective manpower. I don't know if it's a good idea to allow others to pay more for the troops within that pool via bribery. It's an interesting concept, but I feel it might lead to a lot of unforeseen consequences, game-world logistics problems, and back-and-forth bidding.
I can understand the lack of memory ;) I have the least connected to the main story clan :p

Concerning Mercenaries, bribing money shouldn't be upkeep but rather a "fund" a player chooses to use or not, and which might be activated or not. Sort of an "active treasury" if you will. So you can put 100 extra gold to keep their loyalty, while reserving another 100 if defection seems likely. Meanwhile, another player may attempt to bribe with 150 gold but because his efforts were detected in time, the emergency fund kicks in and it fails without considering any other circumstances.

Concerning Mercenaries, bribing money shouldn't be upkeep but rather a "fund" a player chooses to use or not, and which might be activated or not. Sort of an "active treasury" if you will. So you can put 100 extra gold to keep their loyalty, while reserving another 100 if defection seems likely. Meanwhile, another player may attempt to bribe with 150 gold but because his efforts were detected in time, the emergency fund kicks in and it fails without considering any other circumstances.

See, to me, this seems like an unnecessary addition of micromanagement to a NES that should not be focused on mercenary company bidding wars.

Then make it automated and add the "bribery price" into their price/upkeep then. Or outlaw bribery whatsoever. Or have the treasury automatically go in as counter-bribes. There must be a disadvantage to using mercenaries more than just "flee at bad battles". Hire enough, and there WON'T be bad battles to flee unless the player did something HORRIBLY wrong.

BTW, Mercenary bidding wars are fun. See: Axum Mercenaries in the War of the Maelstrom (quadruple turn coats!)

Mercenaries that are easily bought off won't be bought... Mercenaries are honorable highly trained and equipped warriors who will turn against their payers only in extreme situations...

...a lot of unforeseen consequences, game-world logistics problems, and back-and-forth bidding.

Sounds suspiciously like warfare in the real world. I'm not saying "honorable" mercenaries don't exist, but assuming that mercenaries, being mercenaries, will be as loyal as hired troops seems fallacious at best. I'm just trying to go for realism here; personally I'd prefer an CKII-esque mechanism whereby mercenary contracts are bought for specific companies and specific numbers of troops, allowing the price to fluctuate with market conditions per update. Slightly more complex, yes, but also extremely interesting.

Sounds suspiciously like warfare in the real world. I'm not saying "honorable" mercenaries don't exist, but assuming that mercenaries, being mercenaries, will be as loyal as hired troops seems fallacious at best. I'm just trying to go for realism here; personally I'd prefer an CKII-esque mechanism whereby mercenary contracts are bought for specific companies and specific numbers of troops, allowing the price to fluctuate with market conditions per update. Slightly more complex, yes, but also extremely interesting.

I'm not going for utmost simplicity, and I'm not shying away from representing warfare in the real world. Having specific companies and specific numbers of troops is in line with what I had in mind with the aforementioned "mercenary pool". Players would be able to select named companies from within that pool. Those companies come with a leader and a cost. I also wanted to have a pool of unaffiliated mercenaries, though... basically individuals who can be bought on their own (which would be the "base price" listed in the stats; special companies will most certainly be more expensive). It might also be nice for each mercenary company to have a reliability/loyalty stat that fluctuates based on a family's experience with their services (could actually be more similar to how I want to describe retainer houses, which is having a short blurb on their "current status" and how they feel towards you).

Having the price fluctuate with market conditions / conflict is different from "bidding wars", though. What I had in mind there was not a bidding war that is representational of any historical conflict, but rather an unrealistic back-and-forth between players that somehow endures many turns (and thus many gametime years). And my comment about it being logistically difficult was not game-world logistics, but more the difficulty in representing that system in a NES in which each update is 2 or more years in length. CKII is a real-time strategy game, where those immediate fluctuations make realistic sense. I think we should emulate the idea, but not mimic it. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I mentioned above, and whether or not that accurately represents the reality we all want to see implemented. I believe it is definitely crucial to have a more detailed system for mercenaries, as they are likely to be a rather important element to the NES overall (also, I'm embarrassingly fond of The White Company).

Well, we can have "bidding rules" and "reserve funds" in our orders like I suggested, although you DID say it is a bit complex.

Other than that, you can have them be "tossed up" between updates, and maybe they can switch sides once per update if it is profitable enough and/or they dislike their current odds/hirers, with negotations going between updates as well. (so more contingency than policy)

Your idea was decent, and I didn't think it was complex. It just seemed more suited to a computer game. Having a reserve fund is a good idea, but I think it should be done on a case-by-case basis, and not necessarily dictated by rules. For example, perhaps the contingency doesn't even involve money, but involves some other effort entirely enacted by the player.

Then you can put a blurb under the Mercenary clarification/minirules.

"It is well advised that your opponents may try to bribe your mercenaries. This includes both individuals as well as, more decisively, some of your larger companies. A warring player can do no wrong in setting asside a contingency fund or commands just in case the enemy solicitates one's men." ect.

Greylag Free Company

The Greylag Free Company was a company of mercenaries which fought in the War of the Pale Brothers from 1342 to the end of the war. Currently, it is owned by Sir Terrance Tonul and operates under the leadership of Banes. It is under contract to Terrance's half-brother, the Baron of Tonul to guard the Straits of Achn. Most of the company currently is garrisoned at Achn.

Origins

In 1342, three members of the Jade Guard: Sir Dubhe, Sir Avgart, and Sir Thomas the Pale, financed the raising of "a glorious free company which shall owe its service and loyalty neither to land, nor lord, nor kin, but to the Emperor alone." Initial plans were for each man to raise a "banner" made up of 50 "contingents" of ten men each: five contingents of mounted men-at-arms, fifteen contingents of crossbowmen, and thirty contingents of infantry. This would bring the total strength of the free company to: 150 mounted men-at-arms, 450 crossbowmen, and 900 infantry, for a total of 1,500 souls. As members of the Jade Guard, Dubhe, Avgart, and Thomas, could not directly lead the company, so each appointed a deputy to oversee their investment; Dubhe appointed Yarwen the Younger; Avgart appointed Chavor of Brist; and Thomas appointed Kalhan the Rich. Each month the three would rotate command over the entire company.

During the Blessed River campaign, the Greylag Company earned a reputation for ransom-hunting. As the court jester jested, "The Greylags won't get out of bed unless they can capture a Baron, they won't leave the breakfast table unless they are facing a Count, but for a Duke they will cross the continent in a week." Indeed, their conduct earned them an Imperial censure when during the Battle of Saw Mill they completely flanked the opposing forces only to loot the enemy's camp instead of attacking the exposed flank. Regardless of Imperial displeasure, the unit succeeded in turning a large profit from ransoms and loot. All three of the chief financiers of the company were able to use their return investment to buy higher ranks in the Jade Guard. Additionally, during this time the company grew from 150 contingents to 225 contingents, for a total of 2,250 souls.

The siege of Benefry would turn into a turning point for the Company. During the siege, an arrow hit Chavor of Brist in the eye, killing him instantly. After the fall of the city, the enraged Company engaged in a scale of looting, raping, and murder that was notable even for these notorious looters. Meanwhile, Sir Thomas the Pale was also counted among the dead. Sir Dubhe offered to buy Sir Thomas' stake from his widow, who agreed. Sir Avgart, who had advanced to a high station due to the profits generated from the Company's behavior, now found himself in a position where its excesses proved an embarrassment. Sir Dubhe's own cash flow being used up in the purchase of Sir Thomas' share, Sir Avgart instead sold to Kalhan the Rich. What had been a Company led by three "equal" leaders: Yarwen, Chavor, and Kalhan, was now down to two unequal leaders, with Yarwen commanding the purse, and thus the loyalty of 150 contingents and Kalhan 75. Naturally enough, Kalhan had no interest in being the junior partner to his former equal, and so left the Greylag Company with his men, forming a new free company known as the Golden Company.

The new Greylag company acted much as the old. For this reason, during the fall of Pale City, which the Emperor did not want to see sacked and razed to the ground, the company was elsewhere, having been sent on a raid south. The Greylags would continue fighting in Luseysi's Fist for the remainder of the war. By the end, as prospects for ransom and loot dwindled, the Company shrank, the most notorious looters among the first to leave. Thus, by the end of the war, the Greylags were down to 100 contingents.

Achn

With the war over, the Greylag lost its reason for existence. As the company's Imperial Charter stated, they had neither "land, nor lord, nor kin, but...the Emperor alone." Yet now the Emperor had neither need nor want of them. Their old financier, Dubhe, however, still had use for them. In the waning years of the war, Sir Dubhe had been invested with the Barony of Tonul, a materially prosperous though vassal poor region. Not a few of the Greylag found themselves owning a small farm in the depopulated Barony. Those who did not want to give up on the soldier's life were retained in the Greylag Company which was now employed to garrison the strategically significant castles of Bellkale, Achn, and Tonulkale. The Greylag's commander, Yarwin the Younger eventually "retired" into the job of Castellian of Achn, handing over command of the Company to Cehon, who himself eventually handed it over to Banes in 1369. In 1370, with the death of Baron Dubhe, his financial control over the company passed to his illegitimate son, Sir Terrance Tonul, a knight in the Emperor's Household.

Top Bottom