Beneath the Jade Moon (pre-NES)

OK, here's the basic plan for that region then. House ach Sessa (or ach Sessan, not sure which sounds better) is in charge of the region under the Baron in Sessan's Crag. I'll deal with back story later.

I'm keeping my eye on you Optical! :p

Also, like the switch to Carthuan.

Glad to hear it, Azale. :)

Assorted heraldry (WIPs):

Dyre
Spoiler :

Anlan
Spoiler :

Luseysi (emperor white)
Spoiler :

Luseysi (on black; insignia of the Order of the Moon)
Spoiler :

And here is the updated borders map. Next, I am going to add religious organizations. I still have to add nuke and nutranurse's houses -- but they have disappeared. :p I also added lord_joakim's proposed house (have yet to edit Jaysiri lands to reflect retainers) -- an NPC that I'll do some background info on. lj, if you ever want to rejoin, feel free.

direct link
Spoiler :

p.s. Thlayli: I'll add Veisau in the next version.

Oh, I should note that geographic land area does not equal power or prestige. Lording over crags, fallow land, or struggling farm estates does not make you influential. :p

@Starlife

You still haven't added my House either, just FYI.

To the map? I have. You are House Derfennisy, correct? Your house and its retainers have been on the borders map since its first iteration. All of your holdings are also labeled on the holdings map.

If you are referring to the wiki, many houses have not been added yet. Otherwise we would have started the NES. :p

By the way, Dright, I might make Highholm, Conn, and Tenday their own entity apart from House Derfennisy. I imagined your house as lording over the farm estates of that rather timeless bread basket, rather than occupy as far north as those mountains bordering the Godhart domain. I know they are retainers, and not your actual domain, but it still seems odd that you've exerted so much influence with such a variety of houses; made more sense that you have become the "go-to" lord of the crossroads between various agricultural establishments.

And by the way, I noticed that I confused your retainer house names with the holding names (maybe from your initial post versus your follow-up?). I'll correct that in the next version. :)

I imagined that Conn and Highholm share common ancestry with House Derfennisy. The history has the union of Estorhead and Tenday as one house a long while after the initial settling. The central basket area is a plateau of moderate humidity, the most pleasant areas were the initial river valleys. I don't need quite so many subdivisions of Derfennisy land; if it's illogical for Conn or Highholm to be separate, then they should be joined.

Highholm's a recent development anyway, carved out of the Barborous frontier, think it of it as the Rockies to Fenn's Denver, a highland bridging numerous watersheds.

The Barony of Tonul

The Barony of Tonul was created in 1351 and consists of the castles Achn, Bellkale, and Tonulkale. The ducal seat is Tonulkale with a secondary residence in the Rose Manor located in the Pale City in the area between the Sacred Quarter and the Estates, where important priests used to have their houses during the Solemn Age. By special dispensation from the Emperor granted in 1353, the courtesy title of the heir of the Barony of Tonul is the Baronnet of Bell.

Pre-Barony History

In the earliest years of the Empire, what is now the Barony of Tonul existed as a series of minor fishing villages and substance farmers. Despite its proximity to the capital, the focus of the Empire was on the more fertile lands to the north and west. During the frequent raids by the Esurkish, which led to the heavy fortifications that is a hallmark of Luseysi's fist, a watchtower was constructed on what is now known as Achn Island in order to protect the Pale City from the east. As the threats from raiders waned, this watchtower fell into disrepair, and the island became deserted.

It wasn't until the Pale City began depending upon southern trade that the lands around Tonul again became significant. Dozens of ships were destroyed in the rocky waters a year and many sailors lost their lives. Bereft of proper funeral rites, the ghosts of the sailors haunted the area. So many sailors lost their lives that it is said that the Emperor could not sleep at night from the sounds of the ghost's wailing. Consulting oracles, the Emperor was told that the only way to placate Achn, the Blue Lord, as well as the ghosts of the sailors was to build a shrine on what became known as Achn Island.

Due to the gifts of thanksgivings sailors would make to the shrine for their safe passage to and from the Pale City, the shrine quickly grew in wealth. During the Solemn Age, the shrine continued to expand until it covered the entire island. On the south shore, a manor complex named Tonul was built where the chief priests lived in the style and luxury befitting a noble.

The War of the Pale Brothers

In the early years of the war, things had not changed much, the fighting ranged far to the north and west and so did not interrupt the shipments to the capital. However, as the war dragged on, the shipments that kept the Pale City alive were threatened, first by pirates and privateers, and later by the ships of Auren's allies. At the same time, priests of the Emperor's Shrine in the Pale City had harbored a long grudge born of jealousy towards the Achn Shrine. These priests allied themselves with the military in order to convince the Forgotten One to order the eviction of the priests of Achn from the island, demolish the shrine, and build a castle to protect the Pale City. Achn was built on the island, a new castle, Bellkale, was built on the northern bank, and the priest's manor on the south was fortified, creating a strong string of castles which guarded the Pale City's eastern flank. Due to the command of the straits, the grain shipments continued the entire war, though reduced to smugglers by the end.

After the fall of the Pale City, the three castles remained loyal to the Forgotten One. Several notable loyalists had fled the collapse of the Pale City and took refuge in Achn, including Pale City's Castellan, who took command of the defenses.

Taken together the three castles, even swelled as they were by refugees, only could muster one thousand soldiers, an insignificant number compared to Auren's armies now holding the Pale City. The defenders did, however, have several important advantages. Because they lay along Pale City's supply line, they themselves had built up a year's supply of food. Meanwhile, as long as they could hold out, they forced the Imperial army to resupply itself through the devastated farmlands along the Blessed River, the long overland journey from Serray or Tanticre, or the trickle that could arrive on small, shallow boats docking at Wasp's Nest. Regardless, as long as the straits were closed, the Imperial supply lines remained perilous. In addition to the supply problems faced by the attackers, the natural geography of the land, supplemented by the castle defenses, aided the defenders. Achn itself was virtually impossible to attack save for low tide when troops could attack from Bellkale. That, of course, assumed that the attacker could gain control over Bellkale, which had been built using all the knowledge gleaned from fifty years of sieges and defending from sieges.

For six months after the death of the Forgotten One, and one month after the fall of Bellkale, Achn finally surrendered. Its fall represented one of the last battles of the long war. The Emperor had promised Achn to the first man to plant the Imperial standard on its walls, and after the fall, he kept his promise, making Sir Dubhe the first Baron of Tonul.

Sir Dubhe, First Baron of Tonul

Dubhe was born during the War of the Pale Brothers in 1317. Dubhe's lineage is something of a mystery. In his official investure to the Barony of Tonul, he is listed as being the son of Sir Ennon, a knight in a free company raised by the Emperor. Since said knight died in a skirmish a month before Dubhe's birth, it is a convenient truth that gives him the legitimacy of being from a well-born line without needing any well-born man to actually claim him. For in truth, he was the son of a camp prostitute (though again at the investure she is named as the common law wife of Sir Ennon), though by the mother's own recollection of her clientele during the period of conception, Dubhe could be the grandson of a Duke, the son of a Count, the eldest son of a Jade Guard, or the son of a cook or archer.

As can be imagined growing up in a military camp, Dubhe quickly took to the martial arts. By the age of ten (1327), the army payroll has him listed as a skirmisher armed with five javelins and a knife. The highpoint of his young life was capturing a minor noble in the Forgotten One's employ, the ransom thus gained allowed him at the tender age of fourteen to buy a knighthood and a place in the Jade Guard (1331).

Loot, ransoms, and Imperial gifts enriched Dubhe enough that by 1342 he was able to be one of the chief financers of the raising of the Greylag Free Company commanded by Yarwen the Younger, who would later become the Castellan of Achn under Dubhe. In 1346, Dubhe's mistress bore a son named Terrance. By this time, Dubhe had bought a commission in the Jade Guards and personally commanded fifty men. During the siege of the Pale City, Dubhe's unit was one of the first to enter the Sacred Quarter as they were deployed to protect the Emperor's Palace from the looting that was sure to accompany the city's fall. For his part in the campaign, Dubhe was awarded Rose Manor, a former priest's residence bordering the Estates.

It is the siege of Achn, however, that would cement Dubhe's martial reputation. As the siege dragged on, the Emperor promised a barony to the first man to plant the Imperial standard on Achn's walls. Dubhe would claim this honor, leading the final assault despite being wounded by an arrow in the leg. The Emperor would keep his promise, making Dubhe baron of the newly formed Barony of Tonul. As his common law wife was, well common, unfit for the legitimate wife of a Baron, Dubhe was also given the daughter of a prominent priest in the New Order, Lady Ida.

The Lady Ida was a practical woman, and moved quickly to secure her place in her new husband's heart. Using her father's connections, the mistress was shipped to Selbrook Monastery to live out her days. Due to the father's genuine affection, her son, Terrance, was recognized as legitimate, though in return the five year old child was forced to renounce any inheritance claims. A friend in the Pale City agreed to take him on as a squire, where he eventually rose in stature to become one of the eight Knights of the Household.

In 1353, the barony's succession was guaranteed with the birth of Maisan Tonul, Baronnet of Bell. It was Dubhe's last child. Increasingly, the old leg wound suffered during the siege of Achn grew worse, making him near immobile. During the last five years of his life, the Baron barely left Rose Manor. Finally, in 1370, just one week after the funeral of the Emperor, Dubhe died.

Maisan Tonul, 2nd Baron of Tonul

Dubhe was succeeded as the Baron of Tonul by his legitimate son, Maisan. Like his half-brother Terrance, Maisan was received martial training from a young age. Following in his father's footsteps, a position in the Jade Guards was purchased for him. He served as the squire for the Commander of the Guards until his sixteenth birthday, where he was officially knighted and took official possession of the commission which had previously been bought for him. Upon his father's death the following year, he sold the commission for a profit. Like his father, Maisan lives at the Rose Manor, which in the short time since his father's death has acquired a reputation for its lavish parties.

Current Barony

The affairs of the barony are currently being handled by the Lady Ida. Assisting her is the aging, though still vibrant Yarwen the (no longer) Younger, Castellan of Achn. The old Greylag Free Company still exists, providing the garrison for the three main castles. Dubhe's financial stake in the Company had been inherited by Sir Terrance, the only thing of any significance Dubhe could give him due to Terrance's abdication of inheritance rights as a baby.

The main holdings of the barony are the triplet castles Achn, Bellkale, and Tonulkale and the Rose Manor in Pale City. In addition, the Barony runs a poor house in the Mire using grain tolled from the Imperial grain ships. The rest of the barony consists of poor, substance-level farmers, which are usually ignored. They can be ignored because of the income gained through tolling the straits. Depending on the merchant and his cargo, the tolls can be paid in coin or in kind. As the straits are both the cheapest and fastest way to get from Pale City to Surotsi, the tolls represent a significant income. As a courtesy, ships carrying Surotsi nobles to and from the city are exempt from the toll, as are those ships carrying the Imperial seal. Grain ships for the city, are, however, expected to pay a toll in grain.

Dubhe had a younger half-sister who married a soldier after the war and operates an high-brow tavern called "North Star" near market square. In last couple of years it has become a popular with for the younger members of the Jade Guard thanks to Maisan's influence.

Thank you for the good read, Strat. Hope you don't mind if I add this info to the wiki.

Some other heraldry:

Qahiriyun (need color info from Kraz)
Spoiler :

Aakzid
Spoiler :

Sotulyn
Spoiler :

I have a set of blank heraldry shields, and I am using the same one for most of them. For the symbols, I just search for various vector art samples and simplify them. I'm doing "Refine Edge" in PS so that the shapes are not too "crisp".

There are countless websites that have collections of heraldry images, as well. If you can piece anything together in GIMP or Photoshop, you can make heraldry, and it will likely be better quality than "heraldry generators" (and it will also give you more flexibility).

If anyone has any specific images they want to see turned into their heraldry, feel free to send me a PM with the link(s).

I think, at this point, Starlife, it might help to provide us with a master list of things that remain to be done before the NES proper can start, so the playerbase feels like we have momentum.

It might also be wise to begin visitor messaging/PM'ing people who have yet to complete their obligations.

I think, at this point, Starlife, it might help to provide us with a master list of things that remain to be done before the NES proper can start, so the playerbase feels like we have momentum.

It might also be wise to begin visitor messaging/PM'ing people who have yet to complete their obligations.

Sure thing. Most of what needs to be done is my responsibility.

-> Optical was going to flesh out the region near the Duchy of Godhart.

-> I need to finish player house descriptions on the wiki. At this point, I have Ildra, Turosai, and Derfennisy left. All others are finished.

-> I need to finish stats. Stats means all starting armies/navies, economies, and short blurbs on what your retainers feel about you. Within these profiles will be links to house descriptions on the wiki.

-> I need to write descriptions for major sub god-spirits below Luseysi, as well as brief stories for them (I have a lot of these handwritten; it shouldn't take long).

-> On that note, I need to label locations of major Shulryi (head shrines) on the map.

-----

That's all I can really think of, for now. Keep in mind that I'm a full-time graduate student with a teaching position and a part-time job. I know it seems like this is going at a glacial pace, but a lot has been accomplished in the last few weeks. I have nudged many players who I haven't heard from in a while -- if anyone can help me with anything, it is getting their attention and making sure they know that this NES is still going and convince them to be committed. I don't want to sound whiny, but I've put a lot of work into the wiki (lore, background, history) lately, and I feel it has gone largely unnoticed by a good portion of our (former) playerbase.

The good news is that mechanics have been largely decided upon (not entirely, but mostly). Some feedback on this kind of thing would be valuable to me. Prices for your military:

Levies: 10 for 1
[Professional] Infantry (Homegrown): 5 for 1
[Professional] Infantry (Hired): 5 for 2
Cavalry (Homegrown): 1 for 1
Cavalry (Hired): 1 for 2
Ships: 1 for 50
Siege Train: "1" for 500

At this point, I'm leaning against quality indicators, though I do realize their usefulness -- particularly the fact that veteran soldiers would be more experienced than freshly raised ones. However, I think we should go about this on a case-by-case basis; it makes sense that there might be some heroes and seasoned soldiers from Godhart, or seasoned sailors from House Reinar, whereas troops hailing from Asaal would be "green". If I include descriptors of this kind of stuff, it's one more thing I'll have to occasionally update or change, and if we get through 30 years game-time, the dynamics could be completely flipped. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Manpower will also be included in stats.

Economics will be represented by "income" (cliche, I know...) ... gold, whatever... representational [remember that jadeite is more of a religious or ceremonial material, and would therefore not be used in currency]. The usefulness of one's domain in the realm's overall economic engine, in addition to the domain's relative self-sufficiency, will be represented by this collective number.

You can just do it the way NK does.

Moderator Fiat. YEEEEAAAHHHHHHH!

Anyway, you could just have a starting blurb, and then leave it to the players while stepping in if you feel they went over their bounds. Also, I am used to saying "Send my most veteran forces... Send a mixed force of... stiffen levies with a moderately experienced..." with my orders without quality qualifications when I deem it necessary to note.

EDIT: Quality indicators are nothing but busy work. A unit that is awe-inspiring now with great experience and fortitude in their 30s would be a guard unit of old men in 30 years. The standard upkeep would be enough to maintain "standard quality" while unquantifiable things like quality leadership, morale, and recent experience can easily upset the balance too often to keep track of.

Awesome groups of soldiers are still powerful, but as time goes on they will eventually "rust" and fade in usefullness. Only semi-constant training or conflict and maintain high levels of quality and dedication, and that is if these same things don't corrode and destroy unit cohesion. Until then, fresh recruits will constantly displace veterans over time. (this is for 5+ year/turns. If we are doing 1/2/3 or something this is MUCH less relevant. 25/50 years means MUCH more than 10 concerning 5 updates.)

One thing I think important to consider is that while those might be the "base" prices for mercenaries, the real prices should probably fluctuate due to a combination of factors, the biggest one being the availability of mercenaries.

If there are three major wars raging simultaneously, the price of mercenaries will understandably be higher. Also, since it was mentioned mercenary troops can be bribed away, that higher upkeep cost needs to be incorporated into the bribing player's stats if he succeeds.

Top Bottom