Berserks01 - Space Monkies

Good turns, Negy.

Although, I've got to say, that's one crappy capital. Only thing it's good for is great people farm, and even then it's only mediocre.

Lucky's up. Let's hope you live up to your namesake.

A GP Farm in the capital is a colossal waste ... we could either develop it as a commerce city, or if GP farm it is, then shift palace elsewhere later.

Now, there might be a slight chance that we would have 2 source of oil, 3 sources of coal, 4 sources of aluminum, and the rest of the BFC filled with Uranium in Banana One .... so cheered up, my fellow monkies.

Ok, I have a plan for my turnset. I'm gonna build us a worker. Hummm... better yet, I am gonna whip a worker and put the overflow into another worker. Hummmm...... Maybe I am gonna whipp TWO workers and put the overflow into another TWO workers.... Yeah, thats it.

I played 10 turns, not much to do. Barbs slowed things down a little. Should I play more turns? I did not see any mention to that, but I am under the impression everybody played 20 up to now.

If I play more turns or not, we need to decide the exact location for the iron city. I thought of settling it to get iron, 2 bananas and the northern rice (that is 2N1W of the iron). But I see a possibly better site nearby that does not get the iron, so I wanted to discuss how important it is to get it now. The site is 2W of the proposed above, gets cows, horses, rice and banana. Better food and production early on.

If nobody says anything I will report my ten turns tonight and not settle the city.

Play 20. I think getting iron isn't highly important, but if we don't get it Mao will most likely grab it very soon.

Ok, I will finish my turnset tonight, then, as soon as I have a civ capable computer. I don't care so much if Mao gets the iron, we won't need it for a while (Knights maybe) and we can get it by force latter. But I will settle the iron-rice-2bananas if no one says otherwise.

The main event of the turnset was Genghis Khan declaring war on Mansa Musa (turn 8). I don’t remember seeing such an early spontaneous AI war. Neither of the two asked us for help (yet). It seems Mansa is West of GK, not south from us, as we could imagine from the first contact, because they have borders tension. I am sending the scout to check that. If this is so, we could safely have a phony war against Mansa to get the diplo bonus with GK (I don’t know if we want that, though. Mansa is a great trading partner, but also a potential launcher. I already had open borders with him – his request – for some diplo bonus. GK is a good friend to have to slow down the launchers)

Judaism was founded on turn 1, and Mansa switched to Organized Religion on the same turn, so he is the founder. We met Peter mustache from Russia on turn 8.

A few turns later he converted to Buddhism. I also turned down his open borders request.

I opened borders with Julius to scout the east, we saw some of his lands, including his capital.

During my last turn I open borders with GK for the scout mission and for some foreign trade routes (maybe should have done this earlier, he is the only one connected with us).

We learned Alphabet on turn 14, and I spent a lot of time looking for trades, but I saw nothing worth it. We have an alphabet monopoly and I assumed we would want to keep it (we could get Maths for it , but I don’t see us in a hurry to get that). I couldn’t get much for Writing (JC and GK needed it, but I guessed they were finishing researching it - considered gifting it but decided against it) so I did not make any trades.

Researched Masonry and began Literature (due in 8 turns), I guess Champagne (or even Banana Two) could build the Great Library.

Here is the current tech table:

We founded Banana Three, a city with 2 bananas! Guess it makes 4 bananas, allowing us 4 non banana cities, right? I wanted to build a monument there but it wasn’t possible :confused:, so I started an Ikhanda to help with maintenance.

We killed some barbs (3 warriors and an axeman IIRC), I had to whip an emergence axeman in Banana Two. There are an axeman, an archer and a warrior around.

I built us 2 workers and whipped a Library in the capital for 3 pop, because it grows too fast. In fact, I just hired two scientists there but the GPP pool is still not polluted, if you want to change that. But I would recommend keeping them as it seems the best way to use the population in the city, and we will still get a prophet with high probability (and sooner).

I built a cottage over a spices tile, don’t know what you think of this, but with 3 spices I guess we can even keep this as a future town with 1 extra coin. But even if we build the plantation later I think the coins will be useful.

Oh, and The Great Wall of CHINA has been built as well, as you can see in the picture of Banana Three.

We built some military as well. Our current units:

... I know I should make it funnier...
Some are natural at it. But for me it's purely accidental, I assure you.

How many cities are we actually planning to have in total? I usually stop at 2-3 and just kill everyone. But since this is focused on space, we might not want that.

I've got it for tomrrow, btw.

How many cities are we actually planning to have in total?

I think, for space, we need six to eight good cities, but that's running a specialized model, which we're not doing here yet. We need to say: city X is production, city Y is science, etc. Then, we need to actually build according to the specialization. If we had two production cities and two good science cities, we could then have some "fillers" that service multiple goals.

I want to start a long term plan on that front. Decide early which national wonders go in which cities--then actually stick to that decision. Very few SGs, except those on high difficulties, do that. The national wonders are powerful when placed correctly.

#

Regarding Lucky's comment, I love having Khan as my trained dog. Almost as much fun as Montey for same role. How is his attitude with Caesar? Having the two of them kill opponents for techs would be great. I especially like having two dogs, as it keeps one from getting too powerful. (Though Montezuma will keep expanding until he succumbs to his own weight, so you don't have to worry about him.)

Having those guys as our warbeast could really let us build just enough troops to have a respectable defense while literally shooting the moon on building.

When I was thinking about gifting both of them Writing (almost regret i didn't) I checked and IIRC they had ok relations with each other (cautios, I think). I can't check the save now.

My feeling is we are researching at a good pace, but we still need some good trading partner. Problem with Mansa on that role is he could be a runaway, so we better keep him busy with some wars (the trick is doing it and still trade - although he trades even when annoyed, it gets expensive).

When I was thinking about gifting both of them Writing (almost regret i didn't)

less than half the civs know mysticism at this point. you might earn a + with somebody for gifting it, even tho it's dirt cheap that gives it some value. i doubt that two would give you +s tho. back to lurking.

less than half the civs know mysticism at this point. you might earn a + with somebody for gifting it
Now this is very useful information. I allways thoght the +s had to do with the value of the tech (and the guy receiving the gift).

your thinking is true, but the "value" of the tech isn't just the cost in beakers. they also factor in how many people know the tech. the whole "fair = a deal that rips the human off and benefits me" thing. which makes sense, since "they're not ready to start sharing" the ones they don't consider well-known enough. you can get a +1 "you have shared your technological discoveries with us" by trading a monopoly tech with some of them, not even gifting! but i will try to be less helpful and more silly/funny in the future ;).

Half-way through the turnset I finally realized that it's suppose to be Fox's turn, not mine :scared: .

I'm sorry, Mr. Fox. :bowdown: :egypt:, it won't happen again. Please don't spam me, instead let us pray and be at peace. We can consider it a swap instead.

Anyway, on with the show.

First thing I noticed is this

They're easily dispatched but with Mao building the Wall, he's basically redirecting all the barbs our way.

Genghis came demanding this

I allowed it since we need him to fight wars for us, not against us.

Banana One gave us a Prophet. I don't remember any discussions around what to do with him so I burned him for a shrine :dunno:. After all, more money means more shopping for me :cool:

Peter thinks he can bully us just because we gave GK a free tech, silly Peter tricks are for idiots.

Now, us monkeys can actually write each other notes instead of just pictures.

My last turn saw GK converting to Monkey Speak (or Hinduism as some would call it). And yet he's still cautious with us.

I'd never understand the "-1 Our closed borders sparked tension" when we have open border with the bum.

Attachments

• SpaceMonkies BC-0125.CivWarlordsSave
    144.3 KB · Views: 88
Berserks, it's okay:
#1: I am just a backup-player, remember?
#2: I did say that I am on auto-skip currently ... well according to my sig anyway.

As long as we share border and one of its city cultural border is competing with our cultural border, the "close border tension" penalty is incurred. Close as in proximity, not synonymous to open.

Yeah, I do realize berserks probably meant it as a joke. Shoot me.

--

Top Bottom