Best GOP Candidate

Which candidate would you support most over Obama?

• Ron Paul

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Tom Miller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Sarah Palin

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Rand Paul

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Newt Gingrich

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Herman Cain

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • General Petraeus

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 32 24.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitt Romney 2012: I'm not crazy or incompetent

Mitt Romney 2012: I'm not crazy or incompetent

This. He's the only one who (to my knowledge) has not suggested Obama was born in Kenya. Also, given his positions in Massachusetts, he might be the most centrist, though it's tough to say.

Mitt Romney, of course. He was the best choice in 2008, and he's the best choice so far in 2012.

Mitt 2012 - Ready when you all come crawling back!

Interesting that you support someone who liked universal healthcare and abortion, before flip-flopping on such issues. Do you also like gun-control? Mitt the twit certainly does.

This. He's the only one who (to my knowledge) has not suggested Obama was born in Kenya. Also, given his positions in Massachusetts, he might be the most centrist, though it's tough to say.

Nah, he's still a (religious, warmongering) nutter. And a flip-flopper. Who knew?

I didn't say I'd support him. I said he was the best of the GOP candidates. And that's not saying much.

There are no centrist candidates running. There are a few conservative politicians who have embraced one or two centrist policy ideas, but none of them are running as more centrist. Mitt (and to a lesser extent, T-Paw) have spent the last several years completely distancing themselves from anything they did while they were in charge of a state.

The problem with candidates like Pawlenty that I can see is that they have made themselves to rely too heavily on the Christian support which has diminished in strength. If they're seen as being too pro-Israel it will hurt their chances to build any grassroots support. Pawlenty is being made out as being too pro-Israel and that from the get go dooms his chances of winning a general election with the current anti-Israeli sentiment in the population and the mass rejection of Christian values going on.

Huckabee hurt his chances because he decided to have his own TV show and most people in the general public see Huckabee as too much of a holy roller and the Democrats defense against him will simply be preaching out against the GOP trying to install a theocracy.

Mitt Romney is a business class mormon who support abortion so that immediately causes him to lose half of the Christian support even if it did exist and people would see no difference between him and the status-quo.

The problem with candidates like Pawlenty that I can see is that they have made themselves to rely too heavily on the Christian support which has diminished in strength. If they're seen as being too pro-Israel it will hurt their chances to build any grassroots support. Pawlenty is being made out as being too pro-Israel and that from the get go dooms his chances of winning a general election with the current anti-Israeli sentiment in the population and the mass rejection of Christian values going on.

:crazyeye: Do you live in a different country? The majority of Americans are very pro-Israel. And there is no mass rejection of Christian values.

The single most powerful lobby in Washington is the Israeli lobby. Pro Israel sentiment vastly, completely, overwhelmingly overpowers pro-Palestine sentiment among US voters...everywhere except maybe the internet. If you're a Republican, there isn't very much risk at all and jumping out as far as you want on the pro-Israel side...if will secure you Christian Right support (which even if it is waning a little bit in the general, is VERY important to win a primary), and lots and lots of money.

McCain, Romney and Huckabee had strong Israel and Religious Right support (what Romeny lost in Evangelical Christians, he makes up for in fanatic support from wealthy Mormons). People like Paul didn't...Paul didn't get many votes.

The thing people want most is fundamental structural change. Hovering at 20% real unemployment according to shadowstats.com being hated around the world. Bringing in huge massive debt. The dollar going into inflation. Marijuana laws winning all over the country and overpopulated prison system.

Ron Paul is the guy holding all the cards. I don't see how any other candidate but Paul can be taken seriously at this point. The "good old boy club" has their work cut out for them that is for sure.

The single most powerful lobby in Washington is the Israeli lobby. Pro Israel sentiment vastly, completely, overwhelmingly overpowers pro-Palestine sentiment among US voters...everywhere except maybe the internet. If you're a Republican, there isn't very much risk at all and jumping out as far as you want on the pro-Israel side...if will secure you Christian Right support (which even if it is waning a little bit in the general, is VERY important to win a primary), and lots and lots of money.

McCain, Romney and Huckabee had strong Israel and Religious Right support (what Romeny lost in Evangelical Christians, he makes up for in fanatic support from wealthy Mormons). People like Paul didn't...Paul didn't get many votes.

This is where I fail to understand you people.

"the internet" is the country.
"the tv" is not the country.

"the internet" is a much better barometer of public sentiment than "the tv" is now.

This is where I fail to understand you people.

"the internet" is the country.
"the tv" is not the country.

"the internet" is a much better barometer of public sentiment than "the tv" is now.

Most of us at CFC can't vote. Either foreigners or under 18. Plus, the internet skews liberal and libertarian.

And Ron Paul, because of his differing views, also doesn't get Republican establishment support, which is very important in a primary where the turnout is like 20%.

Interesting that you support someone who liked universal healthcare and abortion, before flip-flopping on such issues. Do you also like gun-control? Mitt the twit certainly does.

Nah, he's still a (religious, warmongering) nutter. And a flip-flopper. Who knew?
Isn't federalism cool?

But surely Pawlenty and Huckabee are more viable candidates than Petraeus (who has not even stated any intention of running)

You omitted the two strongest candidates to make the Republican field appear less strong, and replaced them with a military general and this Miller guy no one has heard of.

Most of us at CFC can't vote. Either foreigners or under 18. Plus, the internet skews liberal and libertarian.

And Ron Paul, because of his differing views, also doesn't get Republican establishment support, which is very important in a primary where the turnout is like 20%.

2010 US Population

Daily US Internet Users

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

This data plus your comment indicates the majority of Americans are libertarian and are being misrepresented by "the tv"

Orrery, I get the feeling that because you consider something important in determining your choices in an election, you wrongly assume that the majority of probable Republican primary and Presidential election voters will also consider it important.

If I were to guess, I'd say you've spent too much of your time exposing yourself to those who firmly hold a libertarian philosophy to the exclusion of other political and economic view points.

What percentage of those daily US internet users are using it for developing political thought that goes beyond what is on the news networks?

The thing people want most is fundamental structural change. Hovering at 20% real unemployment according to shadowstats.com
Having a large-ish real unemployment number isn't necesarily bad. If my memory serves from Econ class, real unemployment is people who lack a job and aren't actively seeking work. Stay-at-home parents would add to the 'real unemployment' number even though the number of stay-at-home parents isn't indicative of economic conditions.
being hated around the world.
:confused: If anything our popularity has been going up.
The dollar going into inflation.
We have had inflation for quite some time and the fed is taking steps to curtail inflation. They are taking money out of the system by buying up bonds at the same time producers are cutting prices in an attempt to get people to buy there products. We don't have a situation of too much money chasing too few goods.
Marijuana laws winning all over the country
Since when did Jimmy the Stoner eating doritos become a threat to America?

Ron Paul is the guy holding all the cards.
Why is the internet fascinated with Ron Paul? Pauls policies, specificaly ditching the Federal Reserve would cause inflation to take of like an Apollo rocket.
the internet" is a much better barometer of public sentiment than "the tv" is now
Not really. The Internet has a definate bias away from mainstream political culture. Just look at the makeup of the American posters on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom