Best starter Civ for rookie

OGGleep

Chieftain
I haven't played a Civilization game since the first one. Whats the best Civ to play for the first time, and what "options" should I look to go for?

Well, after getting into my first game (I'm a casual civ player who never really mastered Civ III - Civ 2 on the other hand...) I'd say Spiritual rocks for beginers because of the lack of penalty for switching civics..

don't like the cost or result of your new civic - well, no anarchy! and anarchy just bites...

I'm playing Aztec for my first go around on Noble ... and I am holding my own but looks like I am headed for a long-term loss to the Egyptians. Without the free switching of civics I'd probably be in a lot more trouble. I'm not sure how usefull aggresive really has been as I'm not that offensive of a player.

Have fun!

Anarchy lasts only one turn now though, so it's not that much of an advantage.

I like Industrious for the advantage building wonders. They can make up for shortages in a lot of other areas. And organized (for the lower costs) or philosophical (for the better chance and Great People... wonder if they read Human Accomplishment by Charles Murray when they came up with them?).

So that leaves my pick the Americans under FDR. No matter how much longer he made the Depression.

That said, my first game(s) were the English under Liz the First.

Play greeks because Alexender's the best.

He's pondering when you greet him people. He's pondering.

Definitely Arabia.

Religious - Even though anarchy is only one turn, you now have several of them with all the different civics and religion to switch.

Philosophical - you get Great Leaders faster, so this is good at testing them out.

Thanks, this is def helpful. I'll give it a your suggestions a play through and see what works for me.

I really like Ghandi India. Sprituality and the free techs give you the heads up on founding a religion (or two).

Although, I was cut off from Ivory too soon when I played my first game. :mad:

BTW, did I say that Fast Worker is nice too.

am playing Mali which is spiritual and financial which has it's good points...as a noobie tho you should play the tutorial and then the first game or 2 on settler difficulty which is the easiest.

I started with Napoleon: aggressive + industrious = kick some butt!:cool:

Spiritual and Expansive are pretty good traits. Isabella rocks.

Bismarck is good too.

Fast Worker isn't that great.

Yep, Spain. Spiritual, so you can get that religion fast, and expansive, so your empire can grow.

Trying out my theory now - playing as FDR. Ahead of everyone, built every wonder but Stonehenge so far (working on Hagia Sofia at the moment), seems to be working out all right. Except those ChiCom $#@%&!s just stabbed me in the back. So I stick by my support of the Americans as the top civ.

King Jason said:
Play greeks because Alexender's the best.

He's pondering when you greet him people. He's pondering.

Hmm, theres not enough room in these forums for TWO King Jasons. We're just going to have to duel it out. :)

Top Bottom