1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta 10 Talk

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by 3Miro, May 8, 2011.

1. Barak

Barak Emperor

In Beta 10, playing as Burgundy i was unsuccessful achieving the 3rd UHV condition. I had collapsed France, Vassalized England and was listed on the big board as having 300 more points than Germany. Yet I failed the condition. Was this due to my vassalization of England?

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

You actually need to have a lower score than France, England and Germany because score goes 0 to the highest, one to the next, 2 to the third and the check is for a greater than sign not less than

3. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

This is a bug, it will be fixed for the next version.

4. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Byzantines, research is extremly slow in the beginning. At least 30 turns for all the basic techs. And since one turn is 4 years things seldom happen!

5. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

They Byz start with lots and lots of tech, if they could research as fast as the others then they will get way ahead way too fast.

With the Byz, you usually want to go for 90-100% gold for the first 100 turns or so, to keep the economy going.

6. civ_king

Yeah, Byzantines are way far ahead of everyone so go pure gold and build markets and stuff

7. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

What use is money except fund research? But just a few techs cheaper maybe? Its boring to have one or two techs for a few hundred years. But ok...

Another problem I have with human Byzantines is that its too easy to wipe out civs as they spawn. Right now I have cleansed the map of the Bulgarians, Hungarians, Venetians and Genoans. Arabia crippled by start. Just prepare welcome parties and attack before they settle the city and you wont even get a stability penalty.

8. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Gold is used to support large army, lots of buildings, lots of cities and hire mercenaries.

What difficulty lever are you playing?

9. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Well, I never have problems with maintenance. Could be that I never use mercs, dont think they fit civ.

Monarch? Default difficulty (medium).

10. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

I have just quelled the seljuk uprise killing a total of 25 seljuks... That was 60-70 before! Same difficulty.

11. rock_star

rock_star Warlord

Confirmed on both fronts. I recreated the entire Ottoman Empire, and anything African beyond Egypt is indeed unstable. However, it works, because going for the whole empire will stretch your stability thin, mirroring the stagnation and decline of the Ottomans after achieving that sprawling empire.

Just did a game as Muscovy. First UHV earned, no problems. Settled some generals in Kiev with the National epic to pump out some level 3 Teutonic Knights with Strength-2 and Amphibious for a sea attack on Konstainopel, and . . . nothing. No credit. I now have 21% land area, and no credit. I'm marching on Amsterdam, but I doubt owning their AA will trigger the Warm Seas UHV goal.

Regardless, Moscow is a fun civ to play as. Lot of land to yourself - while they're a slow and backwards civ, starting with crappy land, things look bleak, but with new cities founded near timber forests, kremlins built to boost espionage points for stealing techs and innumerable cities pumping out an endless supply of troops, they surge to the top of the score list in no time. Awesome.

12. Veshta

Veshta Warlord

Could the Arab "Spread Islam" be changed, either to a higher volume or lower % to non-arab areas (ie. beyond Constantinople)

As it is you get the 25% just by expanding slowly along the N.African coast to meet the 2nd criteria which makes it a no challenge at all ..

13. Sian

Sian Emperor

general question since i have a problem in my current game

When does Altantic Access spawn? in their respective places`?

14. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

When you discover Astronomy, you should be able to see AA near Gibraltar. If you play with a traditional colonial power, then you should see more AA near your borders.

The code may be buggy, things have been fixed for the next version.

15. Sian

Sian Emperor

well ... currently Venize and dicovered Astornomy and it didn't show up ... *sigh*

16. civ_king

Venice isn't a colonial power, conquer the Pillars of Hercules

17. Sian

Sian Emperor

helps zip when it didn't show up there :)

18. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

The code might be bugged. Open the World Builder and add some AA.

It will work for the next version.

19. Sian

Sian Emperor

would it be an idea to rework AA's so they first show up when you research Astronomy, but Vikings have a special resource on iceland to use for Vinland?

20. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

AA was reworked, all AA exists on the map since turn 1. It becomes visible with Astronomy. Vinland requires North America access, which can be found near Iceland.