Beyond the Sword – Game Crash – Blue Screen

MosheLevi

Prince
I have consistent crashes with Beyond the Sword with blue screen error when I press the Windows Start button (next right to the ALT button on the right).

I pressed this button by mistake a few times (when I wanted to press the ALT button) and every single time the game crashes with a blue screen indicating address error.

I have the latest 3.17 patch.

Any idea what causes this and how I can fix it?

My system specs are:
AMD FX-57 CPU
3 Gig ram
2 Nvidia 8800 GT in SLI mode (with latest drivers)
Windows XP Professional Service pack 3

Welcome to CFC :band:

could you post the blue screen error message please? it should be logged in the windows event manager :)

Hullo, I'm having the same problem. I cannot however find this event manager. COuld you direct me to it please? I've spent quarter of an hour websearching for the info without luck!

Cheers.

Hullo Ori, or anyone else. Got the usual blue screen again this evening, the error messages were:

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

kmixer.sys address B4E712A2 BASE AT B4E62000

Datestamp 480254b3

Is this at all useful?

ALso, I'm on Windoze XP and it was Civ IV 1.74.

What service pack are you using, and how much memory do you have? Is Windows patched up to date otherwise? And are you using one of those nifty keyboards that requires special drivers?

It sounds like you might not have enough memory to be able to use the Windows key, and you're basically getting a MAF when you do it. My keyboard driver has the ability to turn the key off so that you can't hit it accidentally when playing a game. (Because it's darn annoying!) You should see if you can disable the key while you play.

I'm on SP3, 2.4GB memory, got a shiny new graphics card too. I'd be surprised if memory was an issue, although now I've got the new card, all my graphics settings are high, so maybe I should drop some of them.

I don't have a special keyboard or anything though. I'll see if running at a lower level helps then. Thanks :)

Just blue screened again, this time it was this following:

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

And the file mentioned was usbport.sys

Graphics have been reduced, I wonder what else it could be!

It sounds like you have some driver issues there...

Apologies for the delay, spent some time dealing with other comp issues.

After updating my driver and doing every possible diagnostic I could think of, I removed the graphics card, and this appeared to solve the problem. However, after a while the crash recurred (they'd happened before the new card anyway), so I'm utterly stuck at this stage.

I do get the impression that the crashes are causing problems to occur with my graphics hardware rather than the other way round, as now my onboard graphics card appears glitchy for some resolution changing applications, and it never did that before.

Much as I'll miss it, unless I get a solution I'm not playing Civ IV on this machine again.

Top Bottom