[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

Maybe I'm stupid, but in ver. 3.19 ranged bombardment from ships is unavailable in most cases. Sometimes the button is on the place, sometmes it absent. Some ships at the same time can do ranged bombardment, other can, but only in player's cultural borders. Weird...:confused:

That's a new one... I'll look at it.

And the second thing. I can't build the missile silo in ver. 3.19. The build button is grey and nothing written why. All techs and resources present. The situation is like when some people can't build nuclear missiles in late 2.xx versions. It's not very important, because nukes are OK, but strange.:sad:

I'll look into this, too.

EDIT:
Well, that was an easy fix! :lol:

To make Silos buildable, go into CIV4BuildingInfos.xml, find the Missile Silo code, and change:
Code:
<SpecialBuildingType>SPECIALBUILDING_BOMB_SHELTER</SpecialBuildingType>

to:
Code:
<SpecialBuildingType>NONE</SpecialBuildingType>

This was old code left over from when the Manhattan Project was a Project instead of a National Wonder. I just forgot to change the affected XML. By doing this fix, you will be able to build Missile Silos. This fix will be included in patch v3.19b when I get around to it. Thanks for finding this error, Dimoncheg!

2nd and Last post re :SCI trait

Played as Neb of Babylon (Agg and Sci). Not only do you get 3 promotion Axes and Swords from their UB Barracks, you get a free scientist in each city and a free tech per era.

Here's how it panned out (huge map/13 civs/emporish-few small tweaks from me nothing major) blasted 4 settlers out of Babylon, went to war with my neighbour, eliminated him. Able to do this just because the Academy in Babylon, and Scientists in each city keep the early research super high, when it matters the most.
Iron working gave me Currency (free era tech), started researching COL, timed the Oracle to coincide exactly with founding COL. Got COL, finished Oracle, which gave me Civil Service, which gave me free tech, took Philosophy .....3 techs, and 3 religions founded in one turn in 1170BC!!!

Swapped to Bureau,built Senate, made Babylon super city, still had research on 75% and a cash plus with 12 cities soon after !! Far too much. When I went to find some other folks with Optics, in around 200AD, I was rapidly approaching Muskets, they were having an all out rumble with axes and swords.

Mountains from molehills..game over by 1170BC basically.

I'll shut up now ;)

Nah, I think I'm going to leave the Scientific trait as is. I think you're just too good at playing Civ. :lol:

Nah, I think I'm going to leave the Scientific trait as is. I think you're just too good at playing Civ. :lol:
I'm decent not that good....actually though, the ai hasn't a clue about taking advantage of it, so I'm leaving it too for now..

I'm decent not that good....actually though, the ai hasn't a clue about taking advantage of it, so I'm leaving it too for now..

Yeah, the AI isn't too bad with it. Usually the Scientific leaders are ahead of the power curve when it comes to techs, but all you have to do is

A) Be buddy-buddy with them and they'll trade you techs.

B) Rape, pillage and punder their cities and reap in the benefits via Enchanced Tech Conquest! :lol:

(BTW, I prefer Option B)

Now i know this might seem a bit of a stupid question to the more experienced players, but i have always wondered how you know how many units your civ can support?... i know i could ask this question somewhere else but i only play HITM (it's just too damn good) and so i don't know if its been changed from vanilla... no i'm not a complete moron, i know its got something to do with how many city's one has but size of city's too:crazyeye: just what is the calculation:confused:

p.s. i just found a bug... on the military advisor screen you will see the special forces unit during the ancient age:D under their strategic advantages... a small bug i know, but a bug none the less... and i'm playing the latest update. My congrats on an amazing mod:goodjob:

Now i know this might seem a bit of a stupid question to the more experienced players, but i have always wondered how you know how many units your civ can support?... i know i could ask this question somewhere else but i only play HITM (it's just too damn good) and so i don't know if its been changed from vanilla... no i'm not a complete moron, i know its got something to do with how many city's one has but size of city's too:crazyeye: just what is the calculation:confused:

p.s. i just found a bug... on the military advisor screen you will see the special forces unit during the ancient age:D under their strategic advantages... a small bug i know, but a bug none the less... and i'm playing the latest update. My congrats on an amazing mod:goodjob:

Funny :D
Special Forces have no PrereqTech so the advisor think they are available from the start! Adding the appropriate tech will fix this ;)

Funny :D
Special Forces have no PrereqTech so the advisor think they are available from the start! Adding the appropriate tech will fix this ;)

Interesting... thanks for point this out, fellas!

This shouldn't affect gameplay, though. You can only obtain Special Forces units by upgrading a Marine unit, and you can't purchase/build them outright.

It's dependant on a lot of factors, Your difficulty level, your civics etc. Plus there is the "away units" (ones outside your own borders), which you get charged extra for. Doesn't the financial advisor tell you how much you are paying for units? I must admit I rarely use that screen, will have to have a check when I fire up my current game later on.

If you want a more mathematical answer, post the question here and I'm sure Roland will be happy to give one, it's what he does ;)

Originally Posted by Grave

This shouldn't affect gameplay, though. You can only obtain Special Forces units by upgrading a Marine unit, and you can't purchase/build them outright.

Yeah it doesn't affect gameplay, but when i first saw it i almost s@#t my pants:lol:

Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe
It's dependant on a lot of factors, Your difficulty level, your civics etc. Plus there is the "away units" (ones outside your own borders), which you get charged extra for. Doesn't the financial advisor tell you how much you are paying for units? I must admit I rarely use that screen, will have to have a check when I fire up my current game later on.

If you want a more mathematical answer, post the question here and I'm sure Roland will be happy to give one, it's what he does

Thanks man, useful link:goodjob:. I do use the financial advisor... actually i never used it until about a week ago:)

One more thing... in my current game i'm doing some things that in my previous ones i would never even think about doing, for one reason or another, so i was hoping that someone who plays on say prince or higher could let me know what they think about this game so far:).

Firstly i always tried to get as high a treaury as possible, not to buy techs though, i never do... but i think it was coz i always worried that i would need it at some point in the game. So now i've started to try keeping my tech slider as high as i can, even if that means running a deficit till all my money runs out, though in this game i conquered Israel coz they still only had warriors when everyone else had chariots or archers:lol:, so my treasury has suffered a wee bit:(. Secondly i've tried expanding quicker than i ever did before, i was always a few city behind the ai:(. Thirdly i'm simply curious what you think about my general game style i.e. city placing.

the game is on noble and my 2 neighbours have twice declared war on each other so i think i'm fairly safe from being declared on for now. Thanks:goodjob:

Originally Posted by Grave

Yeah it doesn't affect gameplay, but when i first saw it i almost s@#t my pants:lol:

Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe

If you want a more mathematical answer, post the question here and I'm sure Roland will be happy to give one, it's what he does

Thanks man, useful link:goodjob:. I do use the financial advisor... actually i never used it until about a week ago:)

One more thing... in my current game i'm doing some things that in my previous ones i would never even think about doing, for one reason or another, so i was hoping that someone who plays on say prince or higher could let me know what they think about this game so far:).

Firstly i always tried to get as high a treaury as possible, not to buy techs though, i never do... but i think it was coz i always worried that i would need it at some point in the game. So now i've started to try keeping my tech slider as high as i can, even if that means running a deficit till all my money runs out, though in this game i conquered Israel coz they still only had warriors when everyone else had chariots or archers:lol:, so my treasury has suffered a wee bit:(. Secondly i've tried expanding quicker than i ever did before, i was always a few city behind the ai:(. Thirdly i'm simply curious what you think about my general game style i.e. city placing.

the game is on noble and my 2 neighbours have twice declared war on each other so i think i'm fairly safe from being declared on for now. Thanks:goodjob:

You don't need to be rich and constantly making gold all the time. In fact, it's best to have a high science rate, while at the same time have enough profit each turn to allow for a large and sudden military build up should you happen to go to war.

War can seriously drain your gold reserves, as the more units you build, and the further they are from your country, the more you will end up paying to keep them maintained.

A nice tactic if you begin to run low on cash is to lower your science rate down to zero, along with culture and espionage....just for a few turns. This way, you'll bring in a large amount of cash in a very short time, and then you can restore the levels of research,culture and espionage you had originally. This way, you only set back your research by two or three turns, but you make enough cash that would normally take you as many as x10 number of turns to make.

I have found this incredibly useful when i'm at war with more than one Civ...especially at the beginning of the game.

Also, when it comes to city placement, I always make sure that no city overlaps the work radius (cross) of another city, unless that particular area is pretty devoid of many resources anyway, in which case it won't matter.

I've found that towards the end of a game at Prince level, I have maybe 12 cities that are size 16+ with no overlapping work radius, and i'm easily able to build a greater army than the civilization I am at war with, who has over 30 cities.

The reason for this is that my cities are so much more developed and strong that I can churn out military units pretty much every other turn anyway.

Just had to share this:- Obama is in my current game (random personalities), I'm in the modern age, and suddenly his diplo screen pops up with the message:-

"Drew, Slavery can be extremely useful" (adopt Slavery) :lol::mischief:

Now THAT is funny:lol:

Damn man, you should of got a pic of that one!

Yeah wish I had..I was playing quite quickly, and just clicked the "go away annoying ai leader" button, and then regretted not taking a screenshot....oh well...

Just had to share this:- Obama is in my current game (random personalities), I'm in the modern age, and suddenly his diplo screen pops up with the message:-

You never know what a politician comes up with, do you :D? Today it's A, tomorrow it's B with the possibility of C in the evening.

Im on vista, for the past hour or so iv been messing with trying to get the mod to work but apparently im doing something wrong, I downloaded the base game, put in mods folder, didnt work(which i didnt expect) I know i had to d load patch, so I did..now with the patch to make it work on vista how do you go about installing it? Iv tried all the ways i can think of, copying and pasting all contents, merging folder, copy and paste and replace stuff inside, copy and paste and dont replace stuff inside..Idk what else to do, Im doing something wrong I guess. Help is appreciated:)

Basically, no matter which way I seem to try the things when I try to load mod I get a error saying BTS has stopped working and stuff.

iv installed in the correct folder as Iv tried both different ways(deleting one when trying the other) both diff directories I mean for the mods folder.

:lol::crazyeye::lol::crazyeye::lol:

I wonder if somebody was messing with his teleprompter... :mischief:

Im on vista, for the past hour or so iv been messing with trying to get the mod to work but apparently im doing something wrong, I downloaded the base game, put in mods folder, didnt work(which i didnt expect) I know i had to d load patch, so I did..now with the patch to make it work on vista how do you go about installing it? Iv tried all the ways i can think of, copying and pasting all contents, merging folder, copy and paste and replace stuff inside, copy and paste and dont replace stuff inside..Idk what else to do, Im doing something wrong I guess. Help is appreciated:)

Basically, no matter which way I seem to try the things when I try to load mod I get a error saying BTS has stopped working and stuff.

iv installed in the correct folder as Iv tried both different ways(deleting one when trying the other) both diff directories I mean for the mods folder.

Basically, the simple way:

1) Extract HiTM v3.19 to your Desktop, then Cut/Paste into your Beyond the Sword/Mods folder
2) Extract HiTM v3.19a to your Beyond the Swords/Mods folder (when asked to overwrite, select "yes to all")

or

2) Extract HiTM v3.19a to your Desktop, then Cut/Paste into your Beyond the Sword/Mods folder (when asked to overwrite, select "yes to all")

:lol::crazyeye::lol::crazyeye::lol:

I wonder if somebody was messing with his teleprompter... :mischief:

Basically, the simple way:

1) Extract HiTM v3.19 to your Desktop, then Cut/Paste into your Beyond the Sword/Mods folder
2) Extract HiTM v3.19a to your Beyond the Swords/Mods folder (when asked to overwrite, select "yes to all")

or

2) Extract HiTM v3.19a to your Desktop, then Cut/Paste into your Beyond the Sword/Mods folder (when asked to overwrite, select "yes to all")

Thanks, apparently I forgot to install latest Civ BTS patch though:), it works now

Erm, I shouldn't be able to do this should I?

Using Pacal (Sci/Cre) Tech through BW (including Pottery) to Math, take Metal Casting as free era tech, build Oracle to coincide with researching COL, take Civil Service as Oracle free tech, which then gives Machinery as free era tech.

Not only do you get instant Macemen, you also get Crossbows when you pick up IW (soon after and connect Iron), you also get to chain farms, build windmills (if you want to), and most of all you get to use bureau in your Cap, thus guaranteing every single wonder you want (then Pacals 50% Cre wonder bonus also kicks in)...

And poor old Zooma (or anyone else I might meet) stands approx 0% chance against a Macemen at that time (in fact I waited a while, and took his over expanded empire (10 cities)with just a stack of 9 Maces, no casualties, 1 1/2 Great Generals) :lol:

Sorry to bring it up again Grave, but I'm going to have to do something about the Sci trait in my games, it just too easy...maybe taking away the free era tech would work better, maybe taking away the free scientist...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0173.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0173.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 266
The Perfect World things and the Planet Generator don't seem to work for me, I can do without em but just saying..maybe its me or something?

the other things, Pangaea at least, seem to work.

Also, im wondering, if I do something like Pangaea, will the resources the mod adds in be present there?

Top Bottom