Biggest Blunders?

I'll add another recent game (Like yesterday). Playing as Willem on a Pangea map. Excellent start, techs like crazy, with copper and horses in my capital BFC after the second population border pop. Had 4 nice cities with marble, with the Great Libaray built in like 300 BC!!! Every city had 3 axes as defense!!!

Unfortunately I delayed archery and did not build spears. Got chariot rushed by Hannibal (who was on the other side of the world) and lost 2 cities before I knew it.

Dumb!

One more thing.... I had a tonne of prats I was planning to upgrade to macemen. Did I have iron? Yes... Were my units in my own territory? Yes...

Ooops, can't upgraded. Found out the hard way that having units inside your own territory is not enough, you need to have them in proper upgrade locations!

One more thing.... I had a tonne of prats I was planning to upgrade to macemen. Did I have iron? Yes... Were my units in my own territory? Yes...

Ooops, can't upgraded. Found out the hard way that having units inside your own territory is not enough, you need to have them in proper upgrade locations!

I didn't know that! What are proper upgrade locations?

Re: forgetting to do certain things... I made a minor discovery that should come in VERY handy; I you're using the HOF mod, you can go into the option screen and turn on a "reminder option." Very helpful indeed.

Proper upgrade locations seem to be on a tile which is connected to a trade network that has the required resources to perform an upgrade. Generally, on a road or in a city connected to the trade network. It is a bit weird though, I got burned by this trying to upgrade a great general war elephant to a cavalry once.

Let me know when civfanatics gets a bigger server so I can post all my blunders without using all the bandwidth available for a small city.
Most biggest blunder of all came back in Civ1...I built my first wonder...then i built another...and another....oh help me Jesus i can't stop....and another ...and another

Most of my common big blunders have already been mentioned, but here's another kinda-minor one that I do all the freakin' time:

I forget to alter the tiles worked in my cities when they switch to making workers or settlers. E.g., I pull citizens off of my big food tiles to avoid exceeding the happy cap, and forget to put them back when a worker or settler is under construction.

I've attached GG's and *not* gotten +20xp for doing it. This really bothers me, and I'd say it qualifies as a blunder. Why does the unit not get the xp?

Note: I assumed that it had something to do with being in enemy territory or a city in anarchy, but I recently attached a GG in one of my own cities, that HAD culture borders. No MASH unit for me, just free upgrades. WTF?

I've attached GG's and *not* gotten +20xp for doing it. This really bothers me, and I'd say it qualifies as a blunder. Why does the unit not get the xp?

Note: I assumed that it had something to do with being in enemy territory or a city in anarchy, but I recently attached a GG in one of my own cities, that HAD culture borders. No MASH unit for me, just free upgrades. WTF?

How many units were in the stack when you attached? It spreads the exp points around

A GG will spread it's xp to the units evenly even if it is only "attached" to one of the units.. So if you are going to to use a GG for a super medic, separate it from the rest of the units first..

A GG will spread it's xp to the units evenly even if it is only "attached" to one of the units.. So if you are going to to use a GG for a super medic, separate it from the rest of the units first..

:eek:. Didn't know that! Thanks!

I probably spread about 2 xp to each unit then:lol:. I'd say that would qualify as a blunder...since ZERO units god promos:lol:.

Another blunder... sometimes small, sometimes big, is I keep hogging all the religions by accident. I keep forgetting to check the tech on the last turn and just can never learn my lesson.

Another blunder... sometimes small, sometimes big, is I keep hogging all the religions by accident. I keep forgetting to check the tech on the last turn and just can never learn my lesson.

You just click on the religions button and check to see the date founded right? I often intentionally avoid founding them myself (epsecially on continents or other maps where some AI's are elsewhere), although forgetting to do so is a problem for me also.

Biggest blunder and also my favourite Civ moment.

Someone posted a Deity OCC challenge to win by space and not build any military although you could upgrade the original warrior.

Everything going great into the 1800s had a defensive pact with Gilgamesh (to my West) who was Tech leader and world super power. Not sure I would have been much use to him in a war with my one warrior though :).

So then I have the bright idea of the getting a dp with the worlds second super power Hannibal (SW of me). I thought very wrongly I would be very safe with those 2 to protect me.

A few turns later the war horns go and I find I have declared war on Ragnar and Saladin (adjacent to my borders Rag NW Sal NE) with my army consisting of one warrior. After a bit of an :eek::eek::eek: moment and a:rotfl: moment. They had declared war on Hannibal.

Luckily I had gone for robotics early to get the space elevator so my warrior managed to find a nice new shiny Mech Inf Carrier to get into and with me cheering Hannibals tanks on managed to survive. I also got Gil in on the action but it cost me Superconductors as a bribe and I eventually lost the space race to Gil by a couple of turns. I possibly would have won without the dp pact with Han so just failed in my first deity win.

So the moral of this story is don't be too greedy on defensive pacts because sometimes you might be obliged to fight a war you really really don't want to.:)

Top Bottom