Biting off more than you can chew...

Language, as such, is nothing but a collection of cliches.

Mellut notis spandicotis sunterie plax.

my grandma used to say "If it was a bear it would've bit ya," when looking for something that's right under your nose.

I loathe the phrase "I could care less," because it's supposed to be "I couldn't care less," but people say it wrong. I could care less means you care a little bit. I couldn't care less means you must not care at all cus you can't care less than zero. But most people probably couldn't care less about using the phrase right.

Yes, when something crazy happens, related to the military or soldiers.
Relevant:

IMG_3226.JPG

Using the phrase "running over the beck to fetch water" to mean "doing things the hard way" is doing things the hard way.
"hoppe over bekken etter vann" sounds to me slightly less cumbersome than "gjøre ting på den vanskelige måten"

"hoppe over bekken etter vann" sounds to me slightly less cumbersome than "gjøre ting på den vanskelige måten"

I say tomato, you say tomaat.

Does tit have the same double meaning in Russian?
I didn't know the English word for this bird and just looked it up in the dictionary.
No, in Russian it's just a small bird, but the proverb sounds incredibly funny in translation :)

Language, as such, is nothing but a collection of cliches.

Mellut notis spandicotis sunterie plax.

well, almost. language is mostly semiotics, which in itself is mostly memetic, so you could say language is mostly mimesis. but that goes for all of culture: language, habitus, preferences, beliefs, and so on.

- Making elephant out of the fly
- When crayfish whistles on the mountain
- Similar like two drops of water

Yeah it looks like the gun is disassembled and not capable of firing anyway.
Although, when I was in the military a dude did that with a functioning gun in the shooting range. Needless to say that guy left pretty quickly. I guess you could say that he wasn't the sharpest pencil in the drawer.

Top Bottom