Biting off more than you can chew...

I really hate the phrase 'moneyshot' when used in professional settings. I'm not a prude at all and I cuss like a sailor in personal conversations but that word has sexual connotations and I hate it when people use it in presentations and such. It's become normalized to an extent where I think the sexual connotation is going away but it still surprises and annoys me when it is used during meetings.

It's somewhat forgivable in instances where we are discussing literal pictures being taken that verify mission success and therefore trigger contract payments, but still, gross.

I really hate the phrase 'moneyshot' when used in professional settings. I'm not a prude at all and I cuss like a sailor in personal conversations but that word has sexual connotations and I hate it when people use it in presentations and such. It's become normalized to an extent where I think the sexual connotation is going away but it still surprises and annoys me when it is used during meetings.

This is a real moneyshot of a post, Hobbs.

My personal favorite is when talking about someone dense:

"I've seen smarter firewood."

"They should take a walk in the snow."

Means: The person referred to should retire.

This is based on Pierre Trudeau's explanation of his retirement from politics; he said he made the decision while taking a walk in the snow. The phrase has become part of the Canadian lexicon.

Serious as a heart attack
Dumb as a post

This is based on Pierre Trudeau's explanation of his retirement from politics; he said he made the decision while taking a walk in the snow. The phrase has become part of the Canadian lexicon.

First thing I thought of, was that it came from this idea that Inuits sent old people outside to die.

Is the concept of a ''tall poppy" used in the US?

Not that I've ever heard. Poppies are treated with great respect in my particular part of the USA though, so it may be said that way in other parts. Here in my part it is just "tall grass." If you are the guy giving voice to the complaint that all your co-workers share it is you will be getting fired, because the tall grass gets mowed. I don't really know what befalls a tall poppy that the rather more ordinary poppies wouldn't also suffer...

It sounds like the two phrases are a bit different. You seem to be describing someone who speaks up for the little guy, i.e. someone who sticks their head above the parapet (I don't know if that's a phrase in the US either?). A tall poppy is an overachiever, who everyone likes to cut down. So "tall poppy syndrome" is the tendency to overly criticise celebrities or prominent persons, probably in large part due to envy.

It sounds like the two phrases are a bit different. You seem to be describing someone who speaks up for the little guy, i.e. someone who sticks their head above the parapet (I don't know if that's a phrase in the US either?). A tall poppy is an overachiever, who everyone likes to cut down. So "tall poppy syndrome" is the tendency to overly criticise celebrities or prominent persons, probably in large part due to envy.
Sounds quite similar to the "crabs in a bucket" thing.

What tim's talking about sounds more along the lines of "squeaky wheel gets the grease" but with a negative connotation instead of positive.

Sounds quite similar to the "crabs in a bucket" thing.

What tim's talking about sounds more along the lines of "squeaky wheel gets the grease" but with a negative connotation instead of positive.

Spot on. You hit the nail on the head. Got the full spectrum. Couldn't have said it better myself.

"XXX wants to/should spend more time with their family" is the UK equivalent.

Because that was usually the reason given (in the early 90s, John Major's 'Back to basics' PM-ship), when a likely-soon-to-be-disgraced MP stepped down 'voluntarily' (i.e. "jumped before he got pushed")

"was born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple" is my absolute favorite phrase, and surprisingly few have heard it before when I use it in conversation.

I'm also fond of all the various iterations of "the cobbler's son often goes barefoot," or "the blacksmith's tools at home are made of wood," etc. Apparently there's a Chinese equivalent which goes, "the lady who sells fans fans herself with her hand." Just great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom