Have You Ever Rung 911/111/999 etc.

They probably hear that a lot. Of course it would help if people would stop carrying their phones in a back pocket.

Whut? :huh:
Ambo = Ambulance. No imagination?

Call the Ambos a few times in the last couple of years to come and get me.

Ambo = Ambulance. No imagination?

Call the Ambos a few times in the last couple of years to come and get me.

Does your rudeness have an actual point? :huh:

I've noticed this trend to just use the first or maybe the first two syllables of a word and tack an "o" onto the end.

It's lazy.

Ive never called 911 myself, but i did very recently (8 days ago) have to have someone else call it for me :) :) :) :)
it was my third time having a gallbladder attack and it was worse that the previous two times by far. each time i reached a 10/10 on the pain scale, each time it managed to somehow reach a worse 10. no one at home was able to drive me to the emergency room, I about felt like i was going to have my abdomen explode, i had no idea if my bank account+health insurance would cover an ambulance and i no longer cared, i just knew i needed max strength pain meds asap
very very very glad i called 911. as is recovery from that episode was terrible, whereas recovery from the first two episodes was almost immediate. had a fourth episode 5 days ago, very sudden onset, very suddenly went away (by standards of previous episodes. 4th episode lasted 40 mins, other episodes lasted 3 hrs give or take), didnt need an ambulance this time as someone was there to drive me to the ER as soon as symptoms began. thankfully the surgery department decided to hospitalize me and bring me in for emergency cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal). im now 2 days out from that and already feeling fine and tolerating solid foods!!! ^_^ maybe in a few weeks if everything goes apace I'll finally be able to have more than 30g total fat per day!!! finally i'll be able to eat french fries again!!! (IN MODERATION)
so anyways yeah very funny first notif to see in my notifs logging into cfc after getting discharged from the hospital. so figured i'd share ^_^

A few times over the last couple decades. Most serious case was a girlfriend at the time having a seizure. Operator asked if I tried turning her on her side, which I then did and that snapped her out of it. While she is coming out of her daze on the couch I explained to her what happened and when she found out I had called 911, she freaked, because she had a warrant out for her arrest (from previous unrelated things). Runs out the door....right into the arms of a cop. On the one hand she hated me for ending up back in jail, on the other hand the jail guards were telling her I saved her life.

Other times I called 911 were nothing like the above.
1. Driving-never someone else's accident, only my own (wintery conditions, just me going off the road or hitting a deer), non-emergency number just gets defaulted to 911, don't know if that's all the time or just during evening/night, so I immediately start off with "this isn't really an emergency, but....".

2. Saw smoke coming from the woods. Was worried it was the start of a forest fire, but it was just a controlled burn. There was a sign posted about the burn, but considering I was several hundred meters away I couldn't see it of course.

3. Busted window of my house. Window on basement door, 1000 cracks on it, but still, somehow intact (wasn't broke to gain access to inside the house- so no burglary. No glass on ground, but window obviously needed to be replaced). Cop said it looked pretty intentional (vandalism). Since it was the basement door, don't see it all the time so don't know how long it had been like that (if it happened while we were away for a couple hours in the last 24 hours, or if our kids did it by accident and didn't want to admit it...). Thinking about it later, I think I know when it happened, but can't be 100% sure.
Thinking about it later....I remembered something I did (but I didn't break the window unless there was some serious breaking of the laws of physics!). There was a small rock in my driveway, so I picked it up and throw it towards the ditch that already has tons of rocks because it's an area that gets all the runoff water from whenever it rains. A few seconds later (can't recall exactly how many seconds later it was-whether it was 3 or 5 or 10+) I thought I heard something like glass breaking but it didn't seem too close to me/from my house but that could be because my hearing isn't great. It could not have been my rock unless the rock took a boomerang-like flight pattern.... it's just not possible. Ricochet of the rock coming back after hitting a rock in the ditch? Nah, not unless my rock bounced back like 50 feet, which wouldn't happen even if I had hit a trampoline positioned exactly right trying to do that. Kids were playing in backyard at the time (I could see enough of back yard to know my rock wasn't going to hit them). I think it was one of them. They said they knew nothing of what happened to the window, didn't hear or see anything.

It happens so often, there are actually ad campaigns telling people to don't just hang up when you realize you accidently called them. Need to let them know it was a mistake so they don't send people to that area looking to see if anyone is in trouble.

Just a simple button that is easily pressed when the screen lock is on? I get they want to make it easy to call for emergency if you have someone's phone but don't know the password, but should require a little more button pressing/swiping than just one press. Stepdaughter when she first got her phone she pocket dialed twice, once at home, the other when she was at school (cops came to her house that time, because they knew the number....good luck finding which kid in school it was if they didn't know the number). Good thing for her it never happened a third time, otherwise that would have been Strike 3 for her and we take her phone away (easier solution is just not use the stupid lock screen).

Ya, there was a 1 button press to call 911 on the lock screen.

I had to turn off all my security and just go without a lock screen.

I'd rather be robbed of everything if someone stole that phone than call 911 by accident a 3rd time.

I've noticed this trend to just use the first or maybe the first two syllables of a word and tack an "o" onto the end.

It's lazy.

It's the Aussies. They have abbreviated their country to Oz and national chant is Aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi.

They're barbarians even by our low cultural standards.

It's lazy.
Yes it is lazy. Also ie gets added on.

Bunch of Bogans that pronounce Australia as Shtray(a).

Bogan was my nickname circa 1992 lol. Black jeans, jersey, boots etc.
Haha. Ok, but you sound too thoughtful to be a real one. I've worn Ugh boots, long hair and a Flannie for years whch looks very Bogan too.

Haha. Ok, but you sound too thoughtful to be a real one. I've worn Ugh boots, long hair and a Flannie for years whch looks very Bogan too.

Small town NZ just meant being wearing black.

Ive never called 911 myself, but i did very recently (8 days ago) have to have someone else call it for me :) :) :) :)
it was my third time having a gallbladder attack and it was worse that the previous two times by far. each time i reached a 10/10 on the pain scale, each time it managed to somehow reach a worse 10. no one at home was able to drive me to the emergency room, I about felt like i was going to have my abdomen explode, i had no idea if my bank account+health insurance would cover an ambulance and i no longer cared, i just knew i needed max strength pain meds asap
very very very glad i called 911. as is recovery from that episode was terrible, whereas recovery from the first two episodes was almost immediate. had a fourth episode 5 days ago, very sudden onset, very suddenly went away (by standards of previous episodes. 4th episode lasted 40 mins, other episodes lasted 3 hrs give or take), didnt need an ambulance this time as someone was there to drive me to the ER as soon as symptoms began. thankfully the surgery department decided to hospitalize me and bring me in for emergency cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal). im now 2 days out from that and already feeling fine and tolerating solid foods!!! ^_^ maybe in a few weeks if everything goes apace I'll finally be able to have more than 30g total fat per day!!! finally i'll be able to eat french fries again!!! (IN MODERATION)
so anyways yeah very funny first notif to see in my notifs logging into cfc after getting discharged from the hospital. so figured i'd share ^_^
Gallbladder attacks are awful. I made a few videos about my experience w gallbladder issues & surgery.

one guy wanted to cross a 8 lane street in the city. It had fences every 2 lanes, he still climbed over them. He was drunk. A taxi driver hit him at about 40 km/h and threw him like a rag doll some 5-10 m away and he didn't move. Immediately dialed 112. After 1 min of ringing, nobody answered. Nobody called me back.

Bumping this thread for an update, because 2 months ago, my wife called 112 -- for me.

I'd twisted my left ankle the previous evening, while leaving a friend's house. It was 11:30 pm, and the first time I'd ever visited that house -- and I'd forgotten about the 3 steps halfway along the completely unlit garden path, between the front porch and the gate: put my foot down, and the floor just wasn't there. Could still just about walk, but couldn't face cycling the 4 km home, so they gave me a lift. Managed to hobble to my front door and then upstairs, strapped up the ankle, and put myself to bed.

Got myself downstairs again the next morning, but the pain was so nauseating that I had to sit down on the bench in the hall for a minute -- then passed out, toppled off it, and bounced my skull on the tiles. I was only unconscious for a couple of seconds, but apparently my eyes stayed open, which freaked her out (just a bit!), so she called an ambulance.
Spoiler Compelling medical drama... :
Spent all morning in the hospital getting poked and ultrasounded and assessed. The ER doctor also insisted on an EKG, because apparently fainting while already seated is rather unusual, and she was concerned that there might be an underlying problem (there wasn't).

Took 2 weeks off work and had several more Dr. appointments, including an MRI to look deeper than the ultrasound could. Turned out I'd partially torn one of the major stabilising ligaments running down the outside of the ankle, so shouldn't have been walking on it a-tall.

No surgery needed (thank goodness), but with the ankle immobilised in a rigid brace that I had to wear 24/7 (except when showering), I still couldn't drive, so did home-office for another 4 weeks, until it was declared healed. That was 2 weeks ago, but I'm still wearing a soft-support during the day, while I rebuild the lost strength and mobility.

Last edited:
I did twice, within the same week. Turns out I'm not living in the best neighbourhood.

The first was due to a more regular occurence (every 3rd day or so apparently): Drug gangs threaten small bussiness owners by exploding small bombs in the early morning hours (like 4-5 AM) in front of their shops, a protection racket. Happened on the other side of the street. So I was sitting upright in my bed at 5:15 AM, due to a very, very, very loud bang. I was staring out of the window, couldn't figure out what was happening, but there were some loud alarms, multiple windows lit up, and at some point people stumbled out of the blown up door. At some point there I called 112, but until I could figure out what was actually happening the police had already arrived.
I later googled the event, and found out that just a day before they had exploded something just 50m further.

The second time was a bit later that week. I have no real clue what happened. There was some screaming going on, then I saw someone bash in the door which just had been exploded due to the above event. Some people got out, I saw some fist fighting, then a tree obscured the scene, but there was more shouting and more bystanders appearing. When I called the police they already knew what was going on. Apparently the guy got beaten up at the end.

Someone before the above events, my upstairs neighbour called the police on the house one further. Apparently next to him is a prostitute and... she had an altercation with a group of people... which was ongoing... and apparently she very obviously needed an ambulance.
Unrelated to this, the police arrested 2-3 months later someone 2 houses further. The people below him think he's a drug dealer, as there were way too expensive cars there, and way too many young random men dropping in. This I didn't notice myself really, but I had a look out of the window when I heard noises from the appartment next to me (apparently nothing). Then I saw 4 police cars standing on the side walk, with in total 8 police men (including helmet camera and one with a riot shield) and one big angry German shepherd dog. There was some screaming going on up to the first floor, things were thrown, and at some point this drew a crowd of like 20-30 people. The police at some point went in, and then shoved a guy into the police van.
Apparently both next houses belong to the same drug lord, which got imprisoned last year.

Man, you'd think I live in Colombia after reading this.

Ain't nobody got time for this!
I don't feel too confortable being too close to someone wearing a uniform :sad:

Some years ago, as i was walking on the sidewalk, a drunk guy wanted to cross a main road in our city. The main road was 5+5 lanes with about 4 barriers in between these. He jumped the barriers as well and got hit by a taxi with about 40 km/h. He flew like a rag doll some 15 meters and stayed on the pavement. I called the emergency number, rang for 1 minute and nobody answered. In the meantime there were 4-5 people there around him. Some were prob already calling the emergency hotline themselves. I hung up and nobody called back to ask what the call was about.

Another time in a village the father of a kid i knew just dropped to the ground and started convulsing. All screamed but i put him in the safety position and told the person next to me to call. After 2-3 minutes the spasms stopped. Ambulance arrived ~30 min later, which is good considering the nearest hospital was quite some distance away. Apparently it was induced by constant, frequent, massive alcohol consumption. He was aware this couldhappen anytiem if he continued to drink.

Oh yeah.
Roommate tried breaking in my door, rambling about killing me or some such wild thing (I forget), turns out he was completely drunk. Arrested for stalking.
...Later found out he was firing a gun in the basement some time before; never knew what became of it; landlord probably just trashed it. (This never made it into evidence, of course). Swept up the bullet fragments myself sometime later.
Yeah it was scary.
But he's had a lot of mental problems in his life. A lot.

folks wonder why I don't drink...*shrug* I tell them 'eh personal reasons'

The only 911 I know of is this one:

Afaik in Europe, the emergency number is the 112.

Btw, some pretty creepy stories, guys, so
tell me where you live to not to go.

Last edited:
At least once a month. I work in a public place that attracts several hundred people a day, so there are sometimes medical emergencies (like someone clutching their head and falling over), or disruptive schizophrenic people threatening others. I've also done it on my own time to report fires or impaired drivers.

Top Bottom