black tiles in C2C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone upload a tutorial video on all the solutions to this?

Does C2C have a youtube channel?

Interestingly, I made a whole landscape of the "deep space" terrain in WB and it looked like these black tiles.

For Vista and Windows 7 users: Try disabling Aero for playing windowed. It may help with black tiles and it has decreased AI turn times for me doing so.

Easiest way to do this is to edit the shortcut for playing C2C, go to the "Compability" tab and activate "disable desktop composition". Save and Aero should be deactivated when starting C2C.

For Vista and Windows 7 users: Try disabling Aero for playing windowed. It may help with black tiles and it has decreased AI turn times for me doing so.

The second part may be true, but I'd bet the first part is coincidence. I have never used Aero in the 5 years I have used Vista, and I always play full screen and still get the black tiles about 50% of the time (though not at all lately with 3767, knock on wood).

The second part may be true, but I'd bet the first part is coincidence. I have never used Aero in the 5 years I have used Vista, and I always play full screen and still get the black tiles about 50% of the time (though not at all lately with 3767, knock on wood).

I had it happen to me for the first time in ages, and its definitely a HARDWARE state (or MAYBE firmware) that it gets into - only resolution was a cold reboot (which solved it with NO other changes).

My belief is that something about the Civ IV graphics is very intensive (aka inefficient since its not that visually complex) and it's driving temperatures up, or stressing the hardware/firmware in some way. I wonder if the occurrence is correlated at all to ambient temperatures at the time...?

I had it happen to me for the first time in ages, and its definitely a HARDWARE state (or MAYBE firmware) that it gets into - only resolution was a cold reboot (which solved it with NO other changes).

My belief is that something about the Civ IV graphics is very intensive (aka inefficient since its not that visually complex) and it's driving temperatures up, or stressing the hardware/firmware in some way. I wonder if the occurrence is correlated at all to ambient temperatures at the time...?

No offense to you, BUT finally, you will understand now, what "WE" have been going through for the last 6 months or so. . . . :rolleyes::mischief:

A friend's computer graphics used to overheat a lot when playing another Civ4 mod in MP, causing a crash more than once during the evening which it did not for other games.

There are also some graphic options in the CivilizationIV.ini which may cause or 'contribute' to the BT issue.

Spoiler :
; Enable Trilinear Filtering for the Minimap
MinimapTrilinearFilter = 1

; Enable Tree Region Cutting
CutTrees = 0

; Allows some memory savings *** ALT-TAB WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION ***
MemSaver = 0

; Use managed interface textures (may be safer but shouldn't be needed, uses more memory)
GUIManagedTextures = 0

; Disable PAK memory mapping (May affect performance)
DisablePAKMemoryMapping = 0

; Set to 1 to page units out when non-visible
DynamicUnitPaging = 1

; Set to 1 to page unit anims out when the unit is non visible
DynamicAnimPaging = 1

Is there a chance that PAKMemoryMapping can cause overheating? The total size of FPK-s is 922 MB. Can it fill a 1GB craphic card's almost total memory?
(Without FPK-s I never encountered BT. I had BT when structures and terrains were one FPK, but not one since they are separate.)

There are also some graphic options in the CivilizationIV.ini which may cause or 'contribute' to the BT issue.

Spoiler :
; Enable Trilinear Filtering for the Minimap
MinimapTrilinearFilter = 1

; Enable Tree Region Cutting
CutTrees = 0

; Allows some memory savings *** ALT-TAB WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION ***
MemSaver = 0

; Use managed interface textures (may be safer but shouldn't be needed, uses more memory)
GUIManagedTextures = 0

; Disable PAK memory mapping (May affect performance)
DisablePAKMemoryMapping = 0

; Set to 1 to page units out when non-visible
DynamicUnitPaging = 1

; Set to 1 to page unit anims out when the unit is non visible
DynamicAnimPaging = 1

Is there a chance that PAKMemoryMapping can cause overheating? The total size of FPK-s is 922 MB. Can it fill a 1GB craphic card's almost total memory?
(Without FPK-s I never encountered BT. I had BT when structures and terrains were one FPK, but not one since they are separate.)

If this theory were correct then playing with the options lower resolution textures, an possibly lowering the graphics render level might also make a difference.

I have an HP Pavilion g7 windows 7 laptop with dual AMD E-450 APU processors. An AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics card and a Realtek PCIE CardReader. When I went to play C2C today just about three minutes ago, but could still see trees and rivers. I started a custom game on the 3rd version of the perfect world generator I dont know the actual name of it, but it was a huge map and I started in the ancient era and I also had eleven civilizations on it. When I zoomed out to see the entire world, the place around where my city was, had a desert texture. The rest of the world was black. I checked all the drivers and they were all up to date. I haven't tried any of the fixes but I'm willing to try anything as of right now.

If this theory were correct then playing with the options lower resolution textures, an possibly lowering the graphics render level might also make a difference.

I dont believe its because of the PAKBuild, because i know the Destiny mod has a PAKBuild of just one that is over 1.2GB

But i dont play any other mod or game anyways.

I just got the dreaded black tiles and have tired all the fixes on here worked a few times then not at all :sad:
My Graphics card is my weakest point in my current pc but do we have comfromation its graphics related and if so what card should I get?

Running AMD processor 1080T 12G of ram and 6540 MSi gpu 1g

By the way this game is my mod is awesome :hatsoff:

I just got the dreaded black tiles and have tired all the fixes on here worked a few times then not at all :sad:
My Graphics card is my weakest point in my current pc but do we have comfromation its graphics related and if so what card should I get?

Running AMD processor 1080T 12G of ram and 6540 MSi gpu 1g

By the way this game is my mod is awesome :hatsoff:

Dont go out and buy a new card, there is something else going on here, I/we can't find the main solution yet.

Again the best thing so far is the Microsoft Net 4 stuff, try it till it works, even if it take 4 times, but making sure you shut off your PC each time you do it.

It might be worth it to try clocking down the graphics card chip and memory.

I still believe it is something in the mod itself, and possibly the fpk. I tried SVN3564 (v26 with patch) yesterday, and it worked fine each time with no "prep" work at all. SVN3844 would only work about 50% of the time, and only by jumping through hoops (that were different each time, so I think the 'hoops" were just coincidences so it was really completely random).

I have over 60 mods for BTS (including many that drastically change the tile graphics), and none of them have this problem (Realism Invictus and Overlord have other graphic problems, but they affect the resolution only and are easily fixed). The closest thing I have ever seen to this was Colonization4 and some graphical quirks in that game.

I have over 60 mods for BTS (including many that drastically change the tile graphics), and none of them have this problem (Realism Invictus and Overlord have other graphic problems, but they affect the resolution only and are easily fixed). The closest thing I have ever seen to this was Colonization4 and some graphical quirks in that game.

You cannot compare a mod like this one to those "little" mods. (No offense) to those. Its just that ours is 2 -3 times larger, so there is no comparing. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom