Blood donation: what do you think about it?

Would you donate your blood?

• Yes, I'd happily donate my blood.

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • No, I wouldn't(for various reasons).

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I don't know, I'm not sure what I'd do.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Let me think of it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

King Alexander

Universe explorer
The title says it all. Should we donate our blood? There are many people out there who are in deep need of blood tranfusion(for various reasons). There are also medical tests to check the blood for any possible diseases.

I'll begin with posting a quote from the Bible, posted by FearlessLeader2 in another topic(and according to his wish to discuss it further with other OT'ers).

Quote(by FearlessLeader2):
In one early reference, the Creator declared: "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. . . . But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it." He added: "For your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting," and he then condemned murder. (Genesis 9:3-6, New International Version) He said that to Noah, a common ancestor highly esteemed by Jews, Muslims, and Christians. All humanity was thus notified that in the Creator's view, blood stands for life. This was more than a dietary regulation. Clearly a moral principle was involved. Human blood has great significance and should not be misused. The Creator later added details from which we can easily see the moral issues that he links to lifeblood.

He again referred to blood when he gave the Law code to ancient Israel. While many people respect the wisdom and ethics in that code, few are aware of its serious laws on blood. For instance: "If anyone of the house of Israel or of the strangers who reside among them partakes of any blood, I will set My face against the person who partakes of the blood, and I will cut him off from among his kin. For the life of the flesh is in the blood." (Leviticus 17:10, 11, Tanakh) God then explained what a hunter was to do with a dead animal: "He shall pour out its blood and cover it with earth. . . . You shall not partake of the blood of any flesh, for the life of all flesh is its blood. Anyone who partakes of it shall be cut off."—Leviticus 17:13, 14, Ta.

Scientists now know that the Jewish Law code promoted good health. It required, for example, that excrement be deposited outside the camp and covered and that people not eat meat that carried a high risk of disease. (Leviticus 11:4-8, 13; 17:15; Deuteronomy 23:12, 13) While the law about blood had health aspects, much more was involved. Blood had a symbolic meaning. It stood for life provided by the Creator. By treating blood as special, the people showed dependence on him for life. Yes, the chief reason why they were not to take in blood was, not that it was unhealthy, but that it had special meaning to God.

The Law repeatedly stated the Creator's ban on taking in blood to sustain life. "You must not eat the blood; pour it out on the ground like water. Do not eat it, so that it may go well with you and your children after you, because you will be doing what is right."—Deuteronomy 12:23-25, NIV; 15:23; Leviticus 7:26, 27; Ezekiel 33:25.#

Contrary to how some today reason, God's law on blood was not to be ignored just because an emergency arose. During a wartime crisis, some Israelite soldiers killed animals and "fell to eating along with the blood." In view of the emergency, was it permissible for them to sustain their lives with blood? No. Their commander pointed out that their course was still a grave wrong. (1 Samuel 14:31-35) Hence, precious as life is, our Life-Giver never said that his standards could be ignored in an emergency.

Note what happened when, years after Jesus' death, a question arose about whether someone becoming a Christian had to keep all of Israel's laws. This was discussed at a council of the Christian governing body, which included the apostles. Jesus' half brother James referred to writings containing the commands about blood stated to Noah and to the nation of Israel. Would such be binding on Christians?—Acts 15:1-21.

That council sent their decision to all congregations: Christians need not keep the code given to Moses, but it is "necessary" for them to "keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled [unbled meat] and from fornication." (Acts 15:22-29) The apostles were not presenting a mere ritual or dietary ordinance. The decree set out fundamental ethical norms, which early Christians complied with. About a decade later they acknowledged that they should still "keep themselves from what is sacrificed to idols as well as from blood . . . and from fornication."—Acts 21:25.

Excerpted from http://www.watchtower.org/library/h...=article_07.htm "

"Even in the antiquated days of legend, IE 1984, it was known by doctors that patients could survive blood loss merely by expanding what was left to fill the veins. By avoiding blood transfusions, your hypothetical car crash survivor stands a far better chance of living because he won't have to worry about whatever diseases my blood might hold.

Doctors have been treating Witnesses for decades without blood, and statistics show that they have equal or better recovery rates, and no risk of secondary infections."

Well, what do you think? Give Scietific, Bible, Medical explanations, if you want.

:vomit: im so quesy.

I guess you could call blood donation "wrong"

Why are there so many threads nowaydays, and none of them are that interesting? all are spam...

ummm.... there is a blood thread...

Oh, my!!! I posted this, at the same time as another topic with the same theme was oppening.

Mods: Please close it. Sorry! I didn't do it on purpose.

EDIT: I'll say my opinion, since the thread is still open.
1) I'd not only donate blood if someone in my family needed it, but I do it voluntarily every now and then.
2) I already told my parents to donate the organs from my body, if something happens to me.

If someone doesn't want to donate blood, he can't be forced to.

The bilbe texts can be interpreted in (easy guys) two ways: taking blood refers only to eating/consuming blood, or it refers to taking blood in general.

Whatever the writer meant with it: It seems utterly ridiculous to use a 3000 year old religious text for this matter.
But people have a right to do ridiculous things.
The question really becomes dificult, when parents of a dying child don't allow doctors to give the kid new blood.

These kids, IMHO, should be taken away from their parents and can be 'donated' to a warm and caring gay couple ;) .

Stapel said:
These kids, IMHO, should be taken away from their parents and can be 'donated' to a warm and caring gay couple ;) .
:lol: Excellent one! Bravo, Stapel, Bravo. :goodjob:

There should be an option in the poll about donating the blood of other people.
I think that many posters reluctant to give their own blood would gladly donate the blood of other posters(if they could somehow acquire it, that is).
The suggestion may seem preposterous but IMHO it would go a long way to prove that we all have good intentions, that are usually hampered by technicalities and stuff...

I can't see why any God would object to blood donation, I mean the donated blood is replaced after a few hours, isn't it? And if it's not right to spill blood to save Life, Beautiful Creation of God, than that should include simple bruises as well, shouldn't it (I don't know much about religious things)?

Anyway, within a few decades blood can probably be manufactured and the idea of draining peoples veins will seem rather grotesque.

IIRC, Anna Lind, the swedish foreign minister that was stabbed last year, didn't die because of the injuries but because she received huge amounts of blood which put some kind of strain on her body.

I despise needles so I won't give blood. If there was away of donating that didn't involve a needle then I would surely.

I find it strange that there are rules against eating blood in the bible. This country which is (or at least was) extremely religious, consume a lot of black pudding. But I pay no attention to what is written in the bible and will continue to enjoy Black pudding for breakfast.

no option for those that already give? i give blood regularly every 4-6 months, as for that religious stuff, no comment

Looks to me like Jewish Law forbids eating/drinking blood, not transfusing it.
So if you have religious objections to life-saving blood transfusions, you are, in my opinion, an over-interpreting religious idiot.
And if you are such a person, ponder this - there is still blood in meat - not every drop or corpuscle can be drained during slaughter. So unless you're a vegetarian, I'm afraid you're going to hell. Idiot.

@zurichuk: Sorry mate, I forgot to add that option. Anyway, I'm with you on this one.

I have to have a blood test because I'm joining the military, what should I expect? I have had needles before and they don't hurt or frighten me

I used to donate blood. But then I had a I went on holiday to South Africa, and had a short liaison there with a local girl, and when I came back they wouldn't let me donate blood again for 5 years, which I thought was ridiculous and extreme, so I gave up doing it.

the bible only is against drinking blood, which is a pagan ritual

My opinion: I have no problem with donating blood. But I do have a problem with the rules around it.

In my family there is a non-lethal, non contagious heridatory disease which stops or slows the breakdown of Iron in the blood. That disease is not in the blood, it only affects the breakdown, so the results are seen in the blood. So the people who have it have a large %-age of iron in the blood. The only "treatmant" is to drain blood. Blood with a high %-age of Iron is in high demand by the blood-banks.
But because of 1 rule that blood from people with heridatory diseases isn't allowed our excellent blood is refused.
Do not misuderstand me; I approve of the tests and I agree with blood from people who have a disease must be treated very carefully. I just do not agree with refusing it altogether. Especially if it benefits both the donor as well as the receiver.

And religion is no issue for me.

Top Bottom