Blue Marble Terrain

ColdFever could you release a BTS compatible version of your CivScale utilitie please. I tried to edit the unit size manually but couldn't find the right define.

As kevin, I got your BlueMarble to work by manually copy the files. Like others I can't play with normal textures anymore :).

Please understand that I need a retail copy of BtS first to test V3.0 before I can release anything. Unfortunately here in Germany I have to wait for the BtS release until the 27th. Fortunately a good guy from Take2 Germany just told me he could send me a copy earlier, so I might be able to receive it on Monday. This makes Tuesday the earliest day when it might be possible to release things. Today I can only give you a preview:

Sieht echt klasse aus! :clap:

Awesome work! I especially like the new backgrounds on the tech/pedia screens.

I'm not so sure my eyes can take going back to the default Civ terrain graphics, so here's to hoping you get your copy of BtS before me. :lol:

I really hope:
The civscale interface changes are KEPT in civscale (so that they don't come with the terrain).
There is an option for the civilopedia background.
The space mod thingy graphics are also optional.

The only thing I want changed is the actual EARTH terrain, not the civilopedia or interface or space. If there is NOT an option can you please tell me what files to get rid of to fix them?

@ggganz: Everything you mentioned will be optional, except that the FinalFrontier space terrain (based on Hubble telescope images) will be bound to the earth terrain (based on NASA images). So there will be a terrain option, a leaderhead option, a background option etc. I would recommend to install everything first to see the full modern "aerial" design effect I tried to achieve. The installer then will allow to easily uninstall the options you do not like.

To achieve an overall coherent design V3.0 will include an optional set of leaderheads that have been color-corrected to match the natural Blue Marble colors (less red). Some leaderhead textures also have been increased in resolution and then somewhat "aged" to appear a bit older. On special request Darius received a full beard to match the historical Darius. Previews:

Darius:

Suryavarman:

@ggaganz: I recommend seeing the Hubble telescope material in real life before deeming it useless... But anyway, as in V2.0 the upcoming V3.0 will list all affected files with the command "List Affected Files". The modified "Final Frontier" assets will be easily recognizable here because of the Final Frontier pathname. Because CustomAssets cannot be used for mods like Final Frontier, I have to modify the original files. And so, for being able to restore the original files, these files are renamed, receving a .bak extension to the original filename. So you just could rename these backup files (removing the .bak extension) and you would be done.

Okay, thanks. But one thing, is it images based on pictures taken by the Hubble Telescope, or is it the actual pictures taken by the Hubble Telescope? Because it looks like a photograph.

Also, I see you finally changed the Civilopedia graphics. In the civilopedia comparison picture it shows the water under the battleship much darker. I assume you also did this for the grasslands for land units?

First, let me just say I love Blue Marble.. everybody should be using it and you should get paid for your work. Thankyou

However with the BTS version had you tried it with a multiplayer game at all? Or has anybody?

A friend and I loaded it up tonight and tried to play. It crashed each time upon creating the game until we, sadly, were forced to remove Blue Marble. At which point we could play again and all was well in the civ world again.

Want to point out that the .exe does not install to BTS properly for me.

I got my copy of BTS through Steam, so my default install is not in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

instead it is in C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword

I have confirmed it works fine with my boxed copy installs (though I got a CTD when I loaded warlords and opened the world builder, but I can't verify that it was caused by Blue Marble or not)

Want to point out that the .exe does not install to BTS properly for me.

I got my copy of BTS through Steam, so my default install is not in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

instead it is in C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword

I have confirmed it works fine with my boxed copy installs (though I got a CTD when I loaded warlords and opened the world builder, but I can't verify that it was caused by Blue Marble or not)

I was in the exact same situation.

The following seems to have worked for me.

Copy JUST the "Beyond the Sword" directory (the one inside the steam version "Sid Meier's Civilization 4" directory into your normal Civ 4 install dir.

run the Blue Marble program

For safety; rename the original steam Beyond the Sword dir (still untouched in the steam install) to something like "ORIGINAL_WORKING_Beyond the Sword"

Move the BTS dir from your civ 4 install dir ( that now has some modified files from the Bluemarble install) back into the "Sid Meier's Civilization 4" dir within steam.

Run the steam ver of BTS

TaDa !!

When you are sure all is ok you can kill the backup "ORIGINAL . . ." Directory you made earlier

Elrikk

PS. I only modified the terrains and not the other stuff, but this process should still work for them also.

hmm. I found an easier workaround. I just copied the civilization4.exe from my original install folder (IE boxed copy) to my \steam\steamapps\common\Civ 4 Beyond the Sword folder.

hmm. I found an easier workaround. I just copied the civilization4.exe from my original install folder (IE boxed copy) to my \steam\steamapps\common\Civ 4 Beyond the Sword folder.

Oh ya sure . . . if you want to take simplicity into account. ;)

Elrikk

Mr. Popov, hope you notice this.

I am using your simpler method to trick the Blue Marble installer into patching the BTD install and when I list the affected files it correctly lists only BTS files.

But in the Steam dir "Sid Mier's . . ." there is also a Warlords dir (along with the Beyonf the Sword dir.

Two questions occur.

1) why doesn't the BM installer try to modify any of the files in the Warlords dir ? ( ie the files in the assets dir )

2) What is the purpose of this Warlords dir ?

Elrikk

PS Just curious. ;)

I personally am looking forward to your new gfx additions, especially the Final Frontier gfx. :goodjob:

Can't wait for version 3.0 :D

:nuke: Cheers, Þórgrímr :nuke:

Top Bottom