1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BNW patch en route

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by callan, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Tagma

Tagma Chieftain

Military: Refine larger unit formations, and adjust the AI to use these against City-States if appropriate.

Any ideas what this means exactly?
    In any case, a very nice-looking patch. I can't wait to get my beloved world builder back!!

2. FedorWin

FedorWin Chieftain

"Fixed an issue that caused workers building improvements to constantly "wake up" when hostile units were not close by."
    "Fix some issues that would cause the terrain yield icons to be incorrect, or sometimes missing."

Yes, yes, yes! Two most annoying bugs I've encountered finally get fixed!

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

Although I'm happy for the patch of course :) I can't help but feel a bit cheated that some BNW-features will be available to everyone (MP-improvements, graphics, etc.)
    On the other hand, I also feel cheated that G&K-features will be available for everyone that gets BNW :p
    I feel cheated all around :lol: No, I'm happy for the non-BNW folk too :) but they shouldn't have promoted the MP-stuff as 'BNW improvements'.
    What's that?
    ====
    And they should stop using the word 'polish' in release notes, I keep reading Polish :p

4. ense7en

ense7en n7

Awesome, so much awesome.

Especially the MP stuff. THANK FREAKIN' GAWD,YAY. :goodjob:

5. theadder

theadder Prince

Realistically I think they have probably stated it that way because the fixes have been financed as part of the BNW development. Even though it comes to the older versions of the game, I expect that they think of the changes very much as BNW items.

6. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Yes, I think I do. There is a part of the AI code which works with military formations regarding certain targets - for instance, if it's going to attack a "small city", it needs to bring X melee units and place them in first row, and Y siege engines and place them in second row, etc. If it's attacking a "large city" it will need to bring a larger amount of units.

I was actually uncertain whether that piece of code was active or a relic from an early attempt at making a combat AI more capable than what we see now, but it seems it is.

7. anandus

anandus Errorist

About the custom maps in multiplayer:
    Does this only mean custom maps (eg Earth maps) or also custom maps scripts like Perfectworld or Tectonics?

8. doag

doag Chieftain

Map scripts were already able to be used in multiplayer, I assume this means custom maps.

9. Tagma

Tagma Chieftain

Ah! Interesting stuff. it will be interesting to see how large of an effect this has on the AI's performance in the game.

10. anandus

anandus Errorist

What? Seriously? I did not know that :(
    (It's a shame, I've played hundreds of hours of multiplayer and we were always wishing map scripts would be possible for better maps ...
    Slightly offtopic, but how do you put maps scripts in MP?)
    Edit: Got it! Will be using Perfectworld on my next LAN :D (I hope BNW works fine with it)

11. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

According to 2K David, this won't break save games, but I'm still a little worried so am going on offline mode until I can be sure. My current Isabella game is too lucky to abandon!

12. oddtail

oddtail Warlord

They did that? I distinctly recall it being specifically, explicitly said (right from when the MP work was first announced, actually) that the changes are coming to vanilla and G&K as well, and that the team working on multiplayer is completely separate from the one assigned to BNW work.

Heck, I was very happy when they announced that.

Could you please cite your source where they said they were "BNW" changes?

13. Bisqit

Bisqit Warlord

Oh yes I can't wait for the new in-game art. Those civ 5 forests, jungles, roads and railroads have need an overhaul. The only other thing that could use a nice graphical overhaul would be rivers.

14. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

"Added ability to play custom maps in multiplayer."
    "Tracked down and squashed many more causes of out-of-syncs and connection issues, as well as other general bugs."

:woohoo:

15. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

Sooo when can we expect this? I have no clue what "PDT" is... Sounds like some sort of std...

16. Bisqit

Bisqit Warlord

It'll be morning pacific time. PDT stands for Pacific Daylight Time on west coast U.S.

17. callan

callan Warlord

Pfft, it's Pacific Daylight Time, which is GMT -7. However since we are currently in BST (British Summer Time - at least where I am), which is GMT +1, the time offset is 8 hours. A military man really should know that!

18. theadder

theadder Prince

Pacific Daylight Time. Early on in the day for people on the west coast of the United States. Some time in the afternoon to the evening for people in the UK and Europe.

19. anandus

anandus Errorist

Apparently I was misinformed. I thought it were BNW-features.

20. Moroten

Moroten Chieftain

Does this mean that I can play Continents Plus in MP?? Does that Count as a custom map?

Does the AI Changes apply to MP as well you Think?