Brave New World announced!

RPS, more on battle fields from ancient times (your own old battles!) turning into archaeological sites:
"RPS: Is there any extent to which you could game that, like you have in the early game, you have loads of different battles near where you are knowing that you’ll come back to them later with your archaeologists and just get as many relics as possible?

Ed Beach: Not every single ancient battle turns into an archaeology site, and we do try to keep a relatively even distribution of them across the map. So you can make sure that there are going to be a couple nearby you, but there’s no real advantage to try and form extra ones of those.

RPS: Ok, cool. That’s completely the kind of thing that a min/maxer player would do if it was there, I’d imagine.

Ed Beach: You’re not the first person to have thought of that."

RPS, Ed and Dennis on Trade Routes:
"What happens is that both land and sea trade routes open up right in the ancient era, you get one of each type typically, and as the game progresses you can get more and more of those, and those represent the way your civilisation generates additional wealth. It used to be in Civ V that settling along a sea coast or along a river gave you free gold. We’ve taken that gold out of the game and now you actually have to earn it by creating these trade routes.

Trade routes not only shift gold back and forth, but as the game progresses and the other systems in the game unlock, you can start to see that maybe you’re trading with a civilisation that’s much more advanced than you are scientifically. You’re actually getting a trickle of science back from that interchange of goods. You’ll also see, once the religion game is in place, that religion will spread along trade routes. You might want to think twice about whether or not you want to hook up a trade route to somebody who has a very strong religion’s holy city. That might be good if you want that religion to come into your civilisation, but if you’re trying to keep it at bay, you may not want to do that.

So the trade routes, you can unlock by the end of the game, you usually have seven or eight trade routes at least, and there are a lot of different implications for what cities you decide to hook up with with trade, what other civilisations you’re connecting to, there’s a lot of depth added to the economic side of the game with that new system.

Dennis Shirk: And keep in mind, these aren’t just nebulous UI trade routes that float around the map; you actually build the units, you build a caravan, you build a route and they act as an automated unit. When you build your caravan you decide to assign it to a trade route, it comes up with a city list and shows you all the benefits of the different cities in the area that you can connect to, and then it’s going back and forth and you have to also protect those routes because barbarians can kill the caravan. If you’re at war with someone they can come and find your routes and destroy them, so there’re actual physical units on the map that you interact with. They’re not just a nebulous concept that you have to just bring up a UI screen to look at."

I really think they've listened to the fans this time. What a series of neat improvements of CiVs gameplay! Wow and woot!

Guys, I've put everything I can find in the OP, which is currently quite long. I have to go now, but post more stuff you find down here.

RPS, on World Congress, I'm not sure, but is tech-trading back?
"RPS: I guess it kind of does the Cold War thing a little bit as well, where two countries are really opposed without necessarily being in open conflict.

Dennis Shirk: Right. Also the way that it ties into the New World Congress to the way that you’re going to have horse-trading in terms of the buying and selling of tech with other civilisations. A lot of that coming into play in the late game, combined with the ideologies really gives it this 1980s/1990s Cold War feel."

Literally mind-blowin' fantastic
You do realize you just used the word 'literally' figuratively? Expect a visit from the thought police in the near future... They will re-educate you free of charge! :)

Also, expansion rocks my socks off. Figuratively speaking; I'm not taking my socks off until it's over 20 degrees C here. ;)

RPS, more on trade routes and the need to discover cities and protect the routes:
"RPS: Presumably you need to have discovered all the cities they can go to, just because you said it would work from the start of the game and obviously the map starts off dark, they couldn’t just head off into the ether and find someone to do it with automatically?

Ed Beach: Correct, although you don’t necessarily have to have uncovered every step on the path, they’ll be able to come up with the best sea route even if you haven’t explored all of it, but as long as you’ve found that other city on the coast you can open up trade with them.

Dennis Shirk: But they don’t have visibility, in other words they might pass right underneath the fog and that’s where the barbarians might be, so it actually behoves you to have some military units out in the ether, keeping your paths lit up to make sure nothing bad happens to your financial goods as they’re heading off into the fog."

You do realize you just used the word 'literally' figuratively? Expect a visit from the thought police in the near future... They will re-educate you free of charge! :)

Also, expansion rocks my socks off. Figuratively speaking; I'm not taking my socks off until it's over 20 degrees C here. ;)

Ha, I will have more than enough Mozarts & Kubricks to change the way they'll have to do that - and by that, I mean not do it at all!:D

But yes my friend, this is all very good news. Will have to see how it werks, but I think this trade sanctions thing does sound like the solution to "lump sum DOW" - and of course, being able to force someone else to change their victory conditions with culture

"RPS, more on trade routes and the need to discover cities and protect the routes:
RPS: Presumably you need to have discovered all the cities they can go to, just because you said it would work from the start of the game and obviously the map starts off dark, they couldn’t just head off into the ether and find someone to do it with automatically?

Ed Beach: Correct, although you don’t necessarily have to have uncovered every step on the path, they’ll be able to come up with the best sea route even if you haven’t explored all of it, but as long as you’ve found that other city on the coast you can open up trade with them.

Dennis Shirk: But they don’t have visibility, in other words they might pass right underneath the fog and that’s where the barbarians might be, so it actually behoves you to have some military units out in the ether, keeping your paths lit up to make sure nothing bad happens to your financial goods as they’re heading off into the fog."
Dammit, I wanted to start a game as England on the world map but now it feels totally pointless until BNW... International trade is one of my favorite things in Civ, and in its current state Civ V is severely lacking in this area.

Come to think of it, I don't want to play as any other civ either, knowing what goodies I'll be missing. After I'd meet every civ I'd just go 'Where's my world congress?'... :sad:

In the Polygon article, there's a screenshot showing Poland and one other civ (which has colors orange and white). Anyone know what civ it is?

It has the same collar of a civilization in the wonders of the ancient world scenario The hittitis?

As a side note

Hope they finally fix the horrible coup system

Not to mention the redicoulous warmonger penalties you get at diplomacy they should really rework that. Hey wanne join me in a war? A few turns later you warmonger!!!!!!!!
Ghandi the genocide who conquered 2 civilizations call me a warmonger because I decalred war?

The Polish definitely have Winged Hussars as a UU. Whoever the Yellow and Sand civ is (Assyria, I think) has a siege tower for a UU

One article says that the Winged Hussar is Medieval/Renaissance. So it probably replaces the Knight as opposed the the other Hussar, which is Cavalry.

-A "more active" strategy for culture victories is less dependent on turtling, as culture is now external. A culture victory is now triggered upon having "majority culture" with all other civs in the game.

This sorta sounds like a cultural conquest mechanic or something.

They didn't give us many screenshots this time around. :ack:

It would surely be stupid to put in Brazil and not Portugal. Kinda like having America in without the English being present.

So are these Ideologies replacing the late-game sopols? The wording sounds like it.

Cultural Domination? Runaway Nappy will be more of a threat than he is now...?:eek::crazyeye:

Top Bottom