• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm perfectly fine with people opposing the inclusion of certain cultures as civs in the game (although I never would think it would be something to pride yourself in...), but just plainly going out of your way to throw as many insults at the people who don't share your opinion is quite agitating.
I mean, it all winds down to a flag in a video game.

how ridiculous, Italian-Norman.....

I don't think we'll get an Italian-Norman civ and I don't want one in BNW, but how is the idea ridiculous? The Normans conquered Sicily and much of southern Italy and ruled it for the better part of two-centuries. We already have civs that didn't last as long or rule as large an empire in the game. I think calling the idea ridiculous is rather harsh.

I'd be very surprised, and rather disappointed if the Normans were added as a civ - not only is Europe already heavily represented, but there are numerous European civs that would be better candidates. In my opinion at least, Hungary, Italy, Bulgaria, the Swiss, the Kievan Rus/Ukraine, or perhaps a classical European civ like Gaul, the Goths or the Franks would be a far more unique and deserving addition than the Normans. Even Venice would be better than them, and that's another civ idea that I'm really not too keen on (a unified Italy would be a better choice imo).

That's also not taking into account all of the fantastic civ options they have from outside Europe as well - Sumeria, the Hittites, the Khmer, Vietnam, Indonesia, Burma, Tibet, the Mughals, the Kushans, Israel, Phoenicia, Armenia, Kongo, the Swahili, Mali, Nubia, Gran Columbia, Argentina, the Chibcha/Muisca, the Olmec, the Sioux, the Pueblo, the Cherokee, the Inuit - do we really want to include the Normans at the expense of one of those? I know that we all have different priorities when it comes to what civs we think should be included in the game, but the Normans seem like a rather unecessary choice when we already have the Vikings (as Denmark), France and England. If people really want them in, then I'm sure somebody will make a mod for them anyway.

how ridiculous, Italian-Norman.....

There are already the danes...
Moderator Action: This is a discussion thread, so please use your logic to make a case, this is not adding to the discussion. If you do not have anything to add, then please move along as this borders on trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Moderator Action: Further, if you have a problem with another member, please report the post and let the staff handle it. Trying to act like a moderator only makes things worse.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I don't think we'll get an Italian-Norman civ and I don't want one in BNW, but how is the idea ridiculous? The Normans conquered Sicily and much of southern Italy and ruled it for the better part of two-centuries. We already have civs that didn't last as long or rule as large an empire in the game. I think calling the idea ridiculous is rather harsh.

The problem is not size or longevity, I think. The problem is an Italian-Norman civ wouldn't be very special, culture-wise. It doesn't have that much... "personality", compared to Venice, for example.

The danes were normans, that was my point...they were the same population living in two different places. Clearly there were differences, but they belonged to the same "civilization".

Sorry if I sounded rude, I thought my statement was self explaining.

The problem is not size or longevity, I think. The problem is an Italian-Norman civ wouldn't be very special, culture-wise. It doesn't have that much... "personality", compared to Venice, for example.

The Italian-Norman state successfully blended the cultural traditions of the Scandinavian Normans, Latin Italians, Byzantine Greeks, and North African Muslims for 2 centuries. Roger II of Sicily, the greatest King of Sicily, was known for having Arab/Berber Muslims as well as Christians at his court, and was praised by Muslim rulers as one of the greatest of the Christian monarchs. They were far from not being special culture-wise and not having personality. The problem, more so, is translating this into a feasible civilization.

My list with reasoning.
Confirmed Civs:
1. Portugal
2. Brazil
3. Assyria
4. Zulu
5. Portugal
Almost confirmed civs:
6. Morocco
This leaves 3 civs remaining.
7. Lakota/Sioux- The fact that they had the Pueblo shows that they wanted another Native American civ. Of all the remaining ones, I think the Lakota are the most important. They were able to put up a very strong fight against the US even though the US was so much more advanced (possible UA about fighting someone with more techs than you?). They also fit because of the fact that there is said to be a new resource connected to a civ and it could be buffalo with the Lakota. The only other civ that I think properly fits the Native American qualification is the Inuit, but that is only because of uniqueness instead of influence.
8. Indonesia- I'm not very big on my Indonesian history, but from what I know they were a very large trade empire, which fits the new mechanics. This is also an area of the world, SE Asia, that needs more coverage. Siam is not enough. The other civ that fits the SE Asia qualification is Vietnam, but I don't think they are as relevant, and they conflict with Siam as well
9. Belgium- This hasn't been a popular choice, but I think it's the one that will happen. They fit the bill for both being involved in the Scramble for Africa and the fact that the late game is being focused more. We've also yet to see Brussels as a city-state. They overlap with Germany, France, and the Netherlands, but they also have their own distinct history from the others. The World Congress idea also fits them (European Union). The other civ I thought about putting here was Italy, but I think Italy has never been significant enough as a unified nation, and there's the problems with two Romes and a lot of Italian city-states.

My list with reasoning.
Confirmed Civs:
1. Portugal
2. Brazil
3. Assyria
4. Zulu
5. Portugal
Almost confirmed civs:
6. Morocco
7. Lakota/Sioux- The fact that they had the Pueblo shows that they wanted another Native American civ. Of all the remaining ones, I think the Lakota are the most important. They were able to put up a very strong fight against the US even though the US was so much more advanced (possible UA about fighting someone with more techs than you?). They also fit because of the fact that there is said to be a new resource connected to a civ and it could be buffalo with the Lakota. The only other civ that I think properly fits the Native American qualification is the Inuit, but that is only because of uniqueness instead of influence.
8. Indonesia- I'm not very big on my Indonesian history, but from what I know they were a very large trade empire, which fits the new mechanics. This is also an area of the world, SE Asia, that needs more coverage. Siam is not enough. The other civ that fits the SE Asia qualification is Vietnam, but I don't think they are as relevant, and they conflict with Siam as well
9. Belgium- This hasn't been a popular choice, but I think it's the one that will happen. They fit the bill for both being involved in the Scramble for Africa and the fact that the late game is being focused more. We've also yet to see Brussels as a city-state. They overlap with Germany, France, and the Netherlands, but they also have their own distinct history from the others. The World Congress idea also fits them (European Union). The other civ I thought about putting here was Italy, but I think Italy has never been significant enough as a unified nation, and there's the problems with two Romes and a lot of Italian city-states.

I agree but believe Vietnam could potentially replace any of those three. It's really impossible to decide, we'll have to wait and see

My list with reasoning.
Confirmed Civs:
1. Portugal
2. Brazil
3. Assyria
4. Zulu
5. Portugal
Almost confirmed civs:
6. Morocco

It seems quite possible that there will be another native American civ and another South East Asian civ, but I doubt that Belgium will become a civ, let alone Venice. Leave them as city states.

My only reasoning to support my country as a civ would be its colonial history and expansion across the whole continent, its contribution to WWI, its resistance to Imperial Japan and its sports/tourism culture.

My only reasoning to support my country as a civ would be its colonial history and expansion across the whole continent, its contribution to WWI, its resistance to Imperial Japan and its sports/tourism culture.

Assuming your country is Australia, I don't think you should have much hope there.

The danes were normans, that was my point...they were the same population living in two different places. Clearly there were differences, but they belonged to the same "civilization".

Sorry if I sounded rude, I thought my statement was self explaining.

I feel like that works fine for Rome and Italy as well. Except in this case it's the same population, in the same place, but under two different political entities. Rome was orginally a republic, and modern Italy was originally a monarchy. I wouldn't be opposed to an italian civ, but I think Rome covers it.

Well, to be completely technical, Rome was originally a monarchy, too. Just sayin'.

The Italian-Norman state successfully blended the cultural traditions of the Scandinavian Normans, Latin Italians, Byzantine Greeks, and North African Muslims for 2 centuries. Roger II of Sicily, the greatest King of Sicily, was known for having Arab/Berber Muslims as well as Christians at his court, and was praised by Muslim rulers as one of the greatest of the Christian monarchs. They were far from not being special culture-wise and not having personality. The problem, more so, is translating this into a feasible civilization.

I'm not saying they weren't culturally rich. Just that they don't have a "personality", like for example, Venice is associated with commerce and being a republic. The only characteristics from the Italian-Normal state that were "notable", "personality"-wise, were their multiculturality and tolerance. And those characteristcs are both footnote-y and don't fit well in the game.

Also, the speculation for the Normans started with the image of a motte-and-bailey castle. I don't know much about these castles, but from a superficial research, it seems that by the time Normans invaded Italy, they were already obsolete. I think they would fit a generic Norman civ as an UI, but they don't seem to fit Italian-Norman.

EDIT: Let me try to explain myself better. From a historian point of view, the Italian-Norman state is fascinating. But for the game's purposes, the civilizations are like characters, that are cast in roles. The Italian-Norman state would not be a good character. Which is why color diversity is also important.
My list with reasoning.
Confirmed Civs:
1. Portugal
2. Brazil
3. Assyria
4. Zulu
5. Portugal
Almost confirmed civs:
6. Morocco

I'm hoping for Viet Nam, Inuit and Venice, particularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom