Brazil supports the L-20.

Goonie

Lonely End of the Rink
Source

BRASILIA, BRAZIL - Brazil rallied behind Prime Minister Paul Martin's plan to form a new group of the world's top countries, the L-20.

Brazilian President Lula da Silva threw his support behind the project Tuesday after meeting in Brasilia with Martin, who has been seeking allies while on a 10-day foreign tour.

"We want a multilateral system that is solid, effective and representative," Lula said.

"For that reason Brazil supports the Canadian initiative of the establishment of the L-20."

The vote of confidence from the country of 180 million came at a good time for Martin, who has struggled to persuade U.S. President George Bush that the multilateral organization would be useful.

* FROM NOV. 20, 2004: Martin seeks support for L-20 summit

"The L-20 – certainly with Brazil's participation – is a step closer to realization," Martin said.

Among the issues it may tackle are international protocols on counter-terrorism and public health systems.

The two leaders also agreed to form a public-health team to send to Haiti.

Think anything will come from this?

I don't see what good an L-20 would do. It seems it would have too many conflicting members to agree on much.

luiz said:
What does the "L" mean?
League maybe? I would call them Lesser and Greater though.

Anyway, it'll just be more people for the USA to ignore.

The United States will have to participate in this to ensure that it never turns into a body of any consequence.

I think the intent is good, but I am sceptical about what this league will accomplish.

luiz said:
What does the "L" mean?

Large. Honestly, I'm not joking.

Would the L20 include any of the G7 nations or the OPEC nations?

L20 stands for Leaders 20, the informal name that our duddering PM has created. Why do we need another organization? And what's wrong with the G-20, or the UN?

Ahh well, Canadian Bureaucracy at its best.

stratego said:
Large. Honestly, I'm not joking.

:lol:

thats a [pimp] ish name for a serious organization

dose anyone know which the 20 countries would be?

Everyone scrambling to create unions so their voice can be heard. I say again - create a global senate who's votes are weighted based on the population they represent. Everyone should be heard.

Top Bottom