Brothels now legal in Canada

Puck Nutty

Prince
Prostitution has been legal in Canada for some time, but some of the actions associated with the industry were not. Working in a "common bawdy house" was illegal, as was "profiting from the avails of prostitution" (so no security guards or bodyguards).

However, due to a ruling passed down from the Supreme Court of Ontario, the above is now perfectly legal. This allows women to work out of their homes and to hire bodyguards for protection.

However, it should be noted that the feds have a year to draft new legislation in response to this ruling. Additionally, they can appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada if they want (but I don't think the odds are in their favour since their first appeal has been defeated).

So, is this the decline of Canadian morality? Are we better off as a society? Are you likely to visit a brothel if they become as common as Starbucks?

Stinky linky: http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario...ws-brothels-but-soliciting-ruled-illegal?bn=1

Sex workers should be able to conduct business in homes and brothels, and to hire security so long as the relationship is not exploitative, but communicating for the purposes of prostitution should still be considered illegal, the province’s top court has ruled.

The five-judge panel sided with Ontario Superior Court Justice Susan Himel’s decision to strike down the law governing bawdy houses, calling it unconstitutional and “overly broad.”

Three of the five judges, however, disagreed with Himel when it came to communicating for the purpose of prostitution in public, choosing to uphold that law and saying the judge made “several errors” when she chose to strike it down.

That's awesome! With competition the price should lower to the cost of a night of drinking, and you are more likely to remember. Not sure if that's a plus.

Just Ontario, no? Oh right, that does mean all of Canada. Forgot. Forgive me, I'm new here.

That's awesome! With competition the price should lower to the cost of a night of drinking, and you are more likely to remember. Not sure if that's a plus.

Maybe Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver will become spring break hotspots for American teenagers too broke to get to Daytona or Nassau.

Drinking age is 19 here, too (18 in Quebec).

Maybe Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver will become spring break hotspots for American teenagers too broke to get to Daytona or Nassau.

WHOA! 19? Why haven't I been taking camping trips to Canada when I was younger?

Hmph. USA no longer #1.

Nevada has brothels, so that's one part of each country. I certainly disapprove morally, but I'm a bit on the fence about whether or not it should be legal.

It's legal to pick a stranger up at a bar and take them home for sex. How is prostitution so much worse?

Drinking age is also 18 in Alberta and Manitoba

It's legal to pick a stranger up at a bar and take them home for sex. How is prostitution so much worse?

Prostitution is about a lot more than sex. Morally, I don't care who sleeps with whom or for what reason. I do care about things like exploitation and abuse.

Prostitution is about a lot more than sex. Morally, I don't care who sleeps with whom or for what reason. I do care about things like exploitation and abuse.

Well, people are free to exploit themselves if they want too. You could argue that hiring uneducated slackers to do crappy jobs is exploitive, but it's legal and provides support for people that would otherwise be homeless.

The truly exploited ones in the sex trade are the girls being kidnapped and forced into slavery. That's still a crime, and a pretty severe one at that.

Useless has yet to post in this thread.

Check above. Usel

Wait, crap! Avatar switch. Sorry Useless. I Genuinely thought that was you.

@Contre- Switch the avatar!:mad:

(My point addressed to you.)

What a disgrace. Another country goes down the path of sin and self-degradation.

What a disgrace. Another country goes down the path of sin and self-degradation.

I sometimes suspect you have never picked up an Ayn Rand book.

Top Bottom