[BTS] 43 Religions

What if older religons fade faster or disapear when a newer version of that "type" of religion comes into the city

maybe an increased wieght on favorite religion and change so that say muslim emporers would go for islamic religions but if they get get "their" favorite religion in a city they will switch immediately

btw how do you adjust the wieght on whether they switch to their favorite religion or not? I seem to remember reading Isabell was christian/catholic not buddha:lol:

Just a few more thoughts / possible critiques in the Abrahamic class:

Your Christian groups are Christian, Coptic, Catholic, and Orthodox, along with the Mormon spin-off. I assume that Protestantism is supposed to fall under the general Christian? Catholics, Coptics, and Orthodox might not look kindly on that, though I'm sure Protestants would be fine with the idea that they are the root faith. I also think that Arianism might warrent a place as the version (officially heretical) of Christianity embraced by most of northern Europe during the late Roman period. The Germanic tribes that conquered Rome were actually by and large Arian Christians, not Norse pagans. For the first few centuries, Arianism was a very large faction in dispute with the official Church.

I would suggest removing Christian and adding both Protestantism and Arianism. Unfortunately, that removes one and adds two, unbalancing your list.

If you wanted to expand the Abrahamic tree even further, perhaps you could consider including Pharisaism and Sadducaism as Jewish factions instead of straight Judaism (the Sadducees would be the split-off from the more orthodox Pharisees). Another possible Jewish group could be the Zionists, but that might be too controversial.

This ... is amazing ... utterly amazing - I've a few problems with some of your choices though. Sorry to be so pedantic and raining on your parade, but this is still an utterly amazing thing you've done!

i) Religions named after civs - it just seems a bit odd if France founds the Mongolian religion or if Japan founds the Persian religion. Would it be possible to change these to some name that's perhaps less nationally loaded - e.g. change Norse to Ásatrú?
ii) Catholic, Coptic, Mormon, Orthodox, Christianity? Surely it'd make more sense to change Christianity into Protestantism (or to further divide that up into Episcopalian (Anglican's too nationally loaded), Quaker, Presbytarian, Lutheran etc.)? Obviously it's too many to include all of them but I think having Quakers (much more historical significance) replace Mormons (apologies to any Mormons on the boards) and have Protestantism replace Christianity would be good.
iii) Sufism - I know it's called that, but for the sake of consistency wouldn't it make more sense to call it Sufi Islam? As it's Shia Islam and Sunni Islam.
iv) Isn't Bahai spelt Bahá'i?
v) Is there any real need for Scientology? Historically it's had very little significance at all (being very young) and estimates of its membership are between 100,000 and 500,000. It's entirely possible that as a present day religion it's even smaller than Zorastrianism. Culturally it's insignificant too, known more for lawsuits than for any great architecture, music, philosophy or literature.
vi) Atheism and deism - I'm not sure that they'd work as religions in a civ game - I'm an atheist myself and although I'm one of about three that accept that it is a religious belief (even though it involves rejecting the supernatural) you don't get atheist temples or atheist holy cities or atheist missionaries (per se) or atheist miracles at the city walls. Ditto deism. It wouldn't really work in civ unless you lumped up atheism, agnosticism and deism and made them into a religion civic.

Despite this huge list, this is still an amazing mod!

Not a bad list, although you may want to rename the pre-abrahamic religions to something more culture-neutral. Instead of Egyptian you could call it Pharonic. Instead of Hellenism it could be Olympianism, swap Norse for Asgardianism, and so on. I think you could easily go through each of the mythologies listed and find some common point of worship, and name it that.

Haha... Scientology as a corporation. :) You might also want to add Secular Humanism. It ought to replace atheism. It's just a philosophy (as opposed to a religion), but it's generally exclusive with most religions.

This is what I am basing my atheism on. This is not the secular view nor is it "I do not believe in god view". This is I hate anyone with a religion to point of mass killings. This is a view that all religions are harmful and the government actively tries to remove it. Like in Mao's Culture Revolution. Please read the link. Maybe I should have another name for it but what would that be?

Antireligious?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

Eww. If anything I would refer to this is anti-theism. Atheism already gets enough of a bad rap for stuff that has nothing to do with it.

A simple question. Is it possible to make each religion modular? So I can use some of them?

How do you do that out of interest?

to the OP, that's awesome work. I hope to keep up with developments of this mod.

Edit civ4gameoptioninfos.xml. Look for this entry:
<GameOptionInfo>
<Type>GAMEOPTION_PICK_RELIGION</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_PICK_RELIGION</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_PICK_RELIGION_HELP</Help>
<bDefault>1</bDefault>
<bVisible>1</bVisible>
</GameOptionInfo>

Set to 1 and then you're done!

First of all; amazing work.. When this mod is finished and includes inquisitors, religion limits, etc., it should be even more amazing..

Secondly; regarding the icons; I personally think they look great, but if you want to mix them in with the original icons, try adding a little bit of shadow under each icon. If you look at the icons for Judaism, Islam, Christianity, etc. from the Vanilla game, you'll see they all have about two pixels of shadow.. So if you really want to blend them in, try doing that.. Either way, I think they look very good as they are, but I thought I'd just give my two cents..

Good luck with this mod and I hope to see the final result soon.. It should be very challenging! (By the way, this means that finally the right civs will be able to found the right religions.. Only problem could be; there are only a few religious techs, but way too many religions to allow everyone to found a new religion.. Any plans on how to solve that conundrum?)

Top Bottom