[BtS] Dales Combat Mod!

I really don't see why we need an installer anyway... what's wrong with a standard .zip or .7z? Does it cut down on the size?

I really don't see why we need an installer anyway... what's wrong with a standard .zip or .7z? Does it cut down on the size?

Nothing is wrong with a zip file. However, an installer program is the mark of a professional programmer, who really cares about the product he turns out, not to mention the fact that it makes it easier for some people. Not everyone is computer analyst, like myself, with the capability to determining how files work or where they should go. So I have nothing but praise for Dale and his installer program.

Very Respectfully,

Orion Veteran :cool:

Orion Veteran, is your mouth sore? ...

Gaius was talking about the new installer in particular. An installer program isn't the mark of a professional programmer, that's very silly to think so. "Professional" programming is the mark of a professional programmer, not whether he provides an .exe for lazy people or a .zip file which can easily be placed in the proper directory (drag & drop).

While I like .exe's and think they're cool, they're definitely not necessary and aren't the "sign of a professional."

Dale's work speaks for itself. He doesn't need to use an installer to show he's a pro.

Orion Veteran, is your mouth sore? ...

Gaius was talking about the new installer in particular. An installer program isn't the mark of a professional programmer, that's very silly to think so. "Professional" programming is the mark of a professional programmer, not whether he provides an .exe for lazy people or a .zip file which can easily be placed in the proper directory (drag & drop).

While I like .exe's and think they're cool, they're definitely not necessary and aren't the "sign of a professional."

Dale's work speaks for itself. He doesn't need to use an installer to show he's a pro.

:crazyeye: What a silly discussion...

It's just to improve comfort or help people that have some trouble with the computer but want to play. Dale has done a hard and very good job :goodjob: although I hope that he likes my suggestion for battle because I believe it is better than his three single concepts of range bombard, casa and opportunity fire. Sorry Dale, but I think so...

So, what is the default installation path for the complete version?

Personally, I hate installers. I like knowing where every zipped file has ended up. It's not like this is a particularly difficult install anyway.

Yep, I am the one who had a CTD, but it was with Dale's Airbombing Mod (which is included in this one). From what I can gather something is wrong in his latest version of it. I had previously used the Ranged Bombardment Mod for weeks now without any trouble, but suddenly with the new Airbombing system things are going awry.

I have talked the matter over with Dale and I believe he is going to try to look into it. Until then, we'll just have to wait. :(

Dale, please upload your old versions of DCM and AB if it's going to be a while! :D

Thanks for the quick answer. The game crashed when I had reached a tech improvement that probably would have enabled the Airbombombing mod. I really had to laugh when one of the AI (Stalin) civs tried to attack me and I used the Ranged Bombardment Mod to defend myself. It works like a charm when you are defending yourself against greater numbers. Should I try disabling the Airbombing Mod when the game launces and see if it doesn't crash? or would that completely disable all airbombing for gameplay?

:crazyeye: What a silly discussion... It's just to improve comfort or help people that have some trouble with the computer, but want to play. Dale has done a hard and very good job :goodjob:

I agree, as some people just can't seem to relate to those who are computer illiterate. Enough on this. Back to examining the mod...

: I hope that he likes my suggestion for battle because I believe it is better than his three single concepts of range bombard, casa and opportunity fire. Sorry Dale, but I think so...

Thomas SG, you might be correct.

To Dale,

I play tested early combat in the latest version last night and this is what I discovered and recommend:

1. Battle solutions were sluggish and sometimes froze up the screen to the point where all I could do was save and restart the game. Recommendation: The overall performance for combat code needs to be Improve. :please:

2. Opportunity fire worked, but very little damage was inflicted upon the enemy to make it effective. Recommendation: More damage needs to be inflicted, when Opportunity fire occurs. :please:

3. Taking over a city is much more difficult than it was before I used this mod comp. :( The older version of ranged bombardment seemed to work far more effectively. The latest DCM simply takes way too many troops to conquer just a few weak defenders. :cry: Recommendation: Please consider Thomas SG battle solutions (and mine), as they may have merit. ;)

...a. <iCanBombardCityDefense>0 or 1
...b. <iCanBombardUnits>0 or 1
...c. <iCanBombardBuildings>0 or 1
...d. <iCanBombardCityProduction>0 or 1
...e. <iBattleDistance>0,1,2,3,4

4. I like being able to choose the many different options at the start of the game. :) However, it seemed a bit awkward in the selection process. :confused: Recommendation: Change/simplify the selection process to have standard checkbox options instead of on off buttons.

Very Respectfully,

Orion Veteran :cool:

Nothing is wrong with a zip file. However, an installer program is the mark of a professional programmer, who really cares about the product he turns out, not to mention the fact that it makes it easier for some people. Not everyone is computer analyst, like myself, with the capability to determining how files work or where they should go. So I have nothing but praise for Dale and his installer program.

Well I for one am not fond of installers at all, I'd rather have a zip file ;)

I have yet to find a mod installer which actually knows where CIV is installed, they all assume the standard C:... path, mine isn't installed there however. They should at least have the decency to figure that out by looking at the registry ;)

As it is I have to tell them where to install, I might as well just drop the zip there, that is at least as fast.

I frequenty install, delete the installer and zip the result ;)

How funny. :D We are talking about installers when the mod still has issues in it. :lol:

The reason I do not like installers is because, as mamba said, they assume certain paths, and I believe they also make registry entries that are, for all intents and purposes, unnecessary. Basically, the reason Dale made an installer is because there are some people who are "computer challenged" and forget that you unzip the file to Beyond the Sword/Mods/ and go from there. That's understandable, because I've seen about 1,000 questions along the lines of "Where do I put this?" or "I can't get it to work!" on the forums. But in the process he inadvertently alienated the group who have Complete (temporarily).

I really don't care, because I'd rather see the crash reported earlier addressed before we get into these debates. It makes no difference if your mod is in zip or installer form if the thing has hidden CTDs in it. :)

I really don't care, because I'd rather see the crash reported earlier addressed before we get into these debates. It makes no difference if your mod is in zip or installer form if the thing has hidden CTDs in it. :)

I agree, that was just my 2 cents, I do not care much about installers either way but prefer .zips. In any case having a working mod is way more important than having a working installer (or preferably, not having one at all ;) ).

I am also getting a CTD with version 1.1 It is the 2nd turn of a late game war. The first turn, nothing really happened, the computer advanced two squares into my territory. I can upload my saved game. The problem however is that I renamed the mod, so that I could later add some of my own changes. I have not made any changes yet except the name change. If it would be useful to any one I am happy to upload it.

I verified my CTD has to do with the air units. I used the civ changer and switched to the Babylonians, and deleted all of their air units. The end turn did not CTD after that. I went back and deleted all of their missiles.

[edit]I went back and just got rid of their missiles. Their airplane bombing missions worked fine. They sunk a ship I had in port and destroyed a couple of buildings.[/edit]

I edited the <bSuicide>1</bSuicide> tag in the civ4unitinfos.xml to be <bSuicide>0</bSuicide>. With that change it did not CTD. I hope that helps fix the issue. Thanks for the great mod Dale.

Which unit did you use this for? There are only a number of specific units that would use this, guided missiles among them, and if you arbitrarily changed bSuicide back to 0 that might "fix" the CTD, but then you cannot use the unit properly. It's not a solution.

Game frozen after combat... two times in two games ??? Can do NOTHING but advisors. Did you already have this problem before ? The only difference would be Civ launched in french version ? dont think so ??

I understand that changing <bSuicide> to 0 is not really a fix. I was just hoping that it would lead those who know the sdk code to where the problem is.

Suicide is part of combat resolution. Which at present is planted in the middle of the CASA beta code.

Can something with a save that reliably crashes due to this test by turning CASA OFF via the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml setting?

As for an installer, as Gaius says, let's get the mod working first eh? :)

Top Bottom