[BtS] "Extra"

EDIT: Could the reason maybe be that the game is installed @ Programms x86 and not @ Programms?

But earlier you said
My Civ folder isn't installed at the programmes folder, but at the User/App Data folder

It can't be both...

The mod should be in the same place the game is installed, in the Mods folder for BtS right alongside the mods that came with BtS, like Afterworld.

But earlier you said

It can't be both...

The mod should be in the same place the game is installed, in the Mods folder for BtS right alongside the mods that came with BtS, like Afterworld.
It's in the same folder, I've only reinstalled the game ;)

i'm sorry but i can't seem to download this mod. every time i click on "Download "Extra" version 3.19e Full here!" my browser takes me to http://www.craccoclan.com/downloads/Extra3.19e_full.rar but it's just a blank page and i never get a download prompt. i tried getting there from craccoclan.com but that didn't work either. i tried downloading the file with internet explorer 9 and google chrome. please help i just reinstalled civ4 after a year and i want to see all the awesome changes to this mod:vomit: <- i like that smiley

Hey everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't replied for so long, but for most of last year I was quite busy with my study and other projects. Then, Civ5 was about to be released and I assumed that it would be even better than Civ4 so I didn't feel inclined to work on the Extra mod anymore. However, I was wrong. Civ5, although a decent game by itself, is still inferior to Civ4, in my opinion. Therefore, I've returned to playing Civ4 (and the Extra mod) now that I have some more spare time on my hands again.

With that said, I am in fact working on a new version of the Extra mod. With this update will try to fix even more problems (mainly the bugs with unit graphics that appeared because of VD, and hopefully the MAF problem as well...

Additionally, the new version will add some 'extra' things, inspired by Civ5. Of course, no major gameplay changes such as the 1upt system, but rather a few minor things such as the Songhai and Polynesia civilizations, the Pearls resource, the Solar Plant building and a few new wonders.

So stay tuned!

@Madd Muggsy:
Yeah, I'm familiar with those graphical glitches... It happens a lot to flavour units added by Varietas Delectat. For the next version of Extra, I'm going to implement the newest version of VD and try to fix any graphical errors.

@bmarnz:
Fixed, the Silat UU should work fine in version 3.19f and beyond :).

@Thaitanium:
Hm, I see.. Would you have another recommendation for a Vietnamese UB then?

@pmarvin:
Yeah, just put the Extra folder in your Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword\Mods directory :).

@PreLynMax:
Yeah I know.. That's intentional. The thing is, the supermutants are 'national' units, you can only build a few of them - while you can train as many normal mutants as you want.

@Cadbro/Johenric:
The earlier versions don't have any Final Frontier futuristic content yet (only the stuff from Next War), so if you go back to one of those, it should be better. Unfortunately a version without any futuristic content whatsoever would be difficult, since the mod has basically evolved out of an attempt to merge the Next War content into the main game.

@Anyone who mentioned the Memory Allocation Failures:
I have the same problem myself, although it doesn't happen too often.. Still, it would of course be best to keep these to a minimum for everyone.

I've heard several people suggest different things: do the memory failures occur because of the new wonders or because of the new civilizations? What exactly causes it? So could anyone please explain the Memory Allocation Failure problem more thoroughly?

IMO, fixing this bug has a high priority for the next update. Of course, the ideal solution would be to find a way to keep these crashes to a minimum without taking out any existing content. For instance; would replacing the leaderheads with static images solve it?

@About merging Extra with other mods:
I'd rather not delve into this myself, as it would give me even more work than I already have, plus it might make the mod more unstable (see above; with the MAFs). Of course, if other people are willing to do this, I support them fully :king:.

@Woerkilt:
I agree with you about some wonders having similar effects. In my experience from Civ4 LAN parties, my friends always get frustrated if I build too many wonders while leaving too little for them :p. That's why I like having a mod with many wonders to choose from.

@Healz:
You should forget about the Nostalgia and Lords expansions and just install the full version :). That way it's guaranteed to work.

@Toys®Us:
I considered adding Saltpeter, yeah. However, I decided to exclude it for now because it would probably change the gameplay too much (ie. having a prerequisite for building gunpowder units).

@Pug:
The little bug with the Trade technology should be fixed in version 3.19f and above :).

@Iskra123:
Are you still having difficulties with getting the mod to work?

@Squidward117:
The download was offline for a while, indeed. It should be back up now :goodjob:.

All right, here is another update of Extra for you guys :). As said before, this update focuses mainly on ideas from the somewhat disappointing Civ5.

- Download Extra 3.19h!
- Mirror

Buildings

I decided to skip adding any units from Civ5 (simply because there's already more than enough units to choose from), so I went straight to adding buildings. New are the Solar Plant (an alternative way to get electricity in your city; but needs a desert tile nearby) and the Museum (more culture).

Wonders

Civ5 had a couple of new interesting wonders, of which I added 4: Brandenburg Gate, Circus Maximus, The Louvre and Machu Picchu. I had to change the effects for the first three though, but I think I came up with benefits that work well.

Technologies

I added Archaeology as a renaissance-era tech. Obviously, it serves as the prerequisite to build The Louvre and Museums. The tech also grants bonuses for nearby city ruins.

Resources

I added the Pearls resource from Civ5. It's a luxury resource that can only be found in the water, and gives extra gold rather than food.

Traits

To accomodate for new civilizations and leaders (more on this below), I had to add a new trait. I went with Mercantilist, a trait that gives extra food/production bonusses for trade routes.

Civilizations

- Songhai Empire
---> Leader(s): Askia
---> Unique Unit: Mandelaku (replaces Knight)
---> Unique Building: Julla (replaces Customs House)
- Polynesian Empire
---> Leader(s): Kamehameha
---> Unique Unit: Koa (replaces Spearman)
---> Unique Building: Fishery (replaces Lighthouse)
- Finnish Empire
---> Leader(s): Kekkonen
---> Unique Unit: Hackapell (replaces Cuirassier)
---> Unique Building: Sauna (replaces Colosseum)
- Danish Empire
---> Leader(s): Christian IV
---> Unique Unit: Guard Hussar (replaces Cuirassier)
---> Unique Building: Manor House (replaces Castle)
- Romanian Empire
---> Leader(s): Mihai
---> Unique Unit: Vanatori de Munte (replaces Marine)
---> Unique Building: Armuarie (replaces Forge)
- Maghreb Empire (Marocco, Tunisia, Algeria)
---> Leader(s): Idris II
---> Unique Unit: Black Guard (replaces Musketman)
---> Unique Building: Ribat (replaces Castle)
- Mexican Empire
---> Leader(s): Juarez
---> Unique Unit: Villista (replaces Cavalry)
---> Unique Building: Charreada (replaces Broadcast Tower)
- Argentine Empire
---> Leader(s): Jose de San Martin
---> Unique Unit: Granadero a Caballo (replaces Cavalry)
---> Unique Building: Dance Studio (replaces Theatre)

Comments: The Songhai Empire and Polynesian Empire are from Civilization5, obviously. However, in order to keep the 'one leader for every possible trait combinations' thumb rule, I would either have to remove existing leaders/civs, or add more new ones. Therefore I added a number of other civilizations. Since last update focussed mainly on south-east Asia, I decided to go for some more variety this time: Two scandinavian civs, two latin american civs, one balkan civ and one arab civ.

Leaders

- Kossuth, for the Hungarian Empire
- Maurits van Nassau, for the Dutch Empire
- Constantine the Great, for the Roman Empire
- Chandragupta, for the Indian Empire
- Cethswayo kaMpande, for the Zulu Empire
- Adenauer, for the German Empire
- Atototzli, for the Aztec Empire
- Lorenzo the Magnificent, for the Italian Empire
- replaced Cixi with Wu for China, because Wu is featured in Civ5 + her leaderhead is really good

Comments: I also added 8 leaders for existing civs. One of my goals was to make sure that almost all 'original' civilizations had 2 leaders or more, so I gave the Aztecs and the Zulus an extra leader. The remaining exceptions to this rule are now the Mali Empire (which now has Songhai, which is very much alike) and the Viking Empire (which has several modern 'off-shoots' now). In general, I went for the leaders that simply looked most awesome (as a result, most are from Ekmek or The Capo :)).

Graphics

First of all, I replaced several leaderheads with higher quality ones: Casimir, Dido, Gustavus Adolphus, Meiji and Solomon. Secondly, I have implemented the new version of Varietas Delectat (v9.2), with the inclusion of the Polynesia modcomp.

Sounds & Music

This update adds a lot of flavour, audio-wise ^^. For Akbar, Askia, Cetshwayo, Kamehameha and Karl XII diplomacy music has been added, with the tracks found in other mods. For Kekkonen, Mihai, Juarez and San Martin, a friend and I assembled the music tracks ourselves. More importantly, I added a couple of foreign friends from Finland, Italy and Bulgaria to record some lines for me in their own language. I must say I'm rather pleased with the results (especially for Finland). This means that from now on, Finnish, Italian and Bulgarian units speak their own languages when you select them or give them orders :).

3.19h doesn't work for me.
I can load the mod and it says Extra 3.19h in the upper right corner but when I check the Civilopedia or start a game there's nothing from the mod.

I had no problems with earlier versions.

Problem solved..... Winzip created an extra folder.

I love this mod, btw!

I downloaded this last night & so far it looks pretty good. Playing as Finland & I like heariing the language. Nice touch!

I noticed that they don't use vanilla unit graphics, do all the additional civs use unique unit art?

Thanks for your compliments :). Yeah, he really did his best for the Finnish voice samples ^^.

Well, Poland, Hungary, Judea, the Vatican, Australia, Italy, Polynesia, and to a lesser degree, Austria use unique unit art, whereas for the others I've made them share the same unit art with the vanilla civs, provided by the Varietas Delectat modcomp. Denmark and Sweden have the same unit art as the Vikings, Mexico and Argentina have the same as the Spanish, Maghreb as the Arabians, Romania as the Russians and Songhai as the Malinese.

Hey there, I haven't had the chance to try out your mod yet but it looks very, very impressive indeed. Just a few things: are the Lord and Nostalgia add-ons still compatible with your 3.19h new version? Also I noticed you haven't updated the first post with the newest version yet (I downloaded the 3.19f version before finding out you came out with a new one) so would be great for newcomers :). Again, very well done!

P/S: any chance you could implement BUG/BULL into your mod?

@ilidankid: Ah yes, you're right. I should still update the first post. As for Lords/Nostalgia, they are incorporated by default in the 3.19x versions, so you don't need to worry about that :).
As for BUG/BULL, well... the basic premise of the mod is to change as little as possible, while only adding some new content, so I don't plan on implementing any other modcomps. I'll leave that up to the players :).

Hmm, getting a blank tech screen you say? Could you specify with which civilization and leader you're playing?

@angelitocarc: About that error... That shouldn't happen, as the mod only adds .xml and python based content. Are you perhaps using it in combination with other files, such as some altered dll files? Or are you running an older version of the game?

@Chiyu: Hmm I didn't make a save with that game, so there's no way for me to know which Civ and Leader I picked...On the bright side, I just tried a new game with Random Civ and Leader and the tech screen is showing up correctly now!

The greatest mod of them all. But when the religion cant be inquistated it is too good. And aslo the fundatalism +1634432 happiness. Doesnt work and should be like something like 2, 3 or 4.

And as a Scandinavian I can say there is no need for swedish/danish/finnish empire. We are the vikings, nothing more, nothing less.

And as a Scandinavian I can say there is no need for swedish/danish/finnish empire. We are the vikings, nothing more, nothing less.

As a swede(Viking):viking:, I can't agree, the more the marrier... :D

EEkken, Welcome to the forum!

Top Bottom