[BtS] Manhattan Project Answer

Why untradeable? Just make the AI place a high priority on it, so that thy won't want to trade it easily.

EDIT: If its untradeable, can it still be stolen by spies?

Is it really necessary to use the SDK? Couldn't you just make an unresearchable and untradable tech, and then have nukes require that? Then you set a regular XML event to run only when you've completed the Manhattan Project national wonder, which gives you this secret tech.

The secret technology modcomp grants techs when you complete a building so it's perfect for this. If you know another way to grant a tech after completing a national wonder, then you are good to go and please share your methods. You could make it tradable and spyable, just make it really really expensive. This mirrors real life, sure USA could share it's nuke secrets - if they really wanted to, can't see that situation though, economy doesn't suck that bad yet.

Not sure about the spying thing being deactivated along with trading, but if that's an issue, you could always do what you've both suggested. :)

I think I am going to try this out in Python and XML to see if it works. The current system is fine, but if it requires SDK and Python already, it seems logical to eliminate a step if we can.

The secret technology modcomp grants techs when you complete a building so it's perfect for this. If you know another way to grant a tech after completing a national wonder, then you are good to go and please share your methods. You could make it tradable and spyable, just make it really really expensive. This mirrors real life, sure USA could share it's nuke secrets - if they really wanted to, can't see that situation though, economy doesn't suck that bad yet.

well, I definitely agree that the way vanilla civ4 handles the Manhattan Project is unfeasible and illogical. USA would never have started and finished the Manhattan Project in WW2 if it meant the Germans had gotten all the nuclear secrets for free :lol:

I think some sort of national solution would be preferable, but perhaps not national wonder, especially since nukes require already quite a lot of hammers, and frankly I tend to run out of national wonder spots in my games :eek:.

2 national wonders per city means generally that I would have to get a third major production city late in the game since the first two have ironworks + west point, and heroic epic + something else.

Could it however be made just into an expensive normal building? I mean if we look at the historical situation with the Manhattan Project, the headquarters for the project was in Oak Ridge, but the production and research were done all around USA.

Also the United Kingdom did share its nuclear research with the USA during WW2, the British project was called "Tube Alloys" and was merged into the Manhattan project. But perhaps the sharing of nuclear research would be hard to mod in the game, and frankly its not that important compared to fixing the erroneous Manhattan Project of vanilla Civ4

If I could recode it to work in a PERFECT way, it would be a national wonder that got cheaper with every civ that completes it.

"What was once required the greatest minds in the history of science can now be completed by a high school chemistry teacher if he had access to the materials."

I forget where I read that.

If I could recode it to work in a PERFECT way, it would be a national wonder that got cheaper with every civ that completes it.

That would be great.

I'm necro-ing this thread because I haven't seen anything anywhere like this and I really want it in my mod. Has anyone made it so that the Manhattan Project is either a National/Team Project or a National Wonder?

I think theres a BtS tag that says bAllowsNukes in the standard buildinginfos. Dale said something about it a while back, in another thread.

I personally use the Secret Technology route. Building the Manhattan Project gives you the tech "Nuclear Weapons", which is required to build nukes and gives you a MASSIVE bump to your power rating. I also made it so nukes upped your power rating by a lot.

I think theres a BtS tag that says bAllowsNukes in the standard buildinginfos. Dale said something about it a while back, in another thread.

I personally use the Secret Technology route. Building the Manhattan Project gives you the tech "Nuclear Weapons", which is required to build nukes and gives you a MASSIVE bump to your power rating. I also made it so nukes upped your power rating by a lot.

So, if I unerstand you correctly what you did was create a Manhattan project National wonder which gives you the nuclear weapons technology. This technology is required to build nukes. Then you got rid of the vanilla Manhattan Project?

If this is the case how did you get around the bAllowsNukes thing? As far as I know that allows all civs to build nukes.

@MurderofTime:
The vanilla version is, and Grave included an updated version in HitM. I compared the files in the vanilla version with HiTM's source and ripped it out.

@Capo
Yeah, I made a new national wonder (Manhattan Project), removed the original MHP, then made it so building the new MHP gave you the "Nuclear Weapons" technology. I then added it as a prereq for all nuke units.

The bAllowsNukes tag is in BuildingInfos, not ProjectInfos. I think its only for you. Might wanna ask Dale, 'cause I think he's the one that first mentioned it.

EDIT:Here's Dale's post: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5840865&postcount=15

So you are telling me that I don't even need the technology, just the national wonder? Are you sure that doesn't enable nukes for all civs though?

Hmmm, anybody out there know the answer; does the enable nukes tag enable nukes for everyone or just the civ that builds the building?

The enable nukes Tag in the projects allows nukes for the whole world.

I made a "National Nukes" mod some time ago. The core was that the MHP was divided in two parts: One Theoretical and a Practical. While the Theorethical was needed to build the SDI, Bunker and the Real MHP, it also allowed the Usage of nukes for everyone. But to build an ICBM you needed an extra Tech, which you could Research, Steal, Trade or build with the MHP. If you already had the Tech and build the MHP, you would gain some Nukes for free. For me this solution have worked the best, as the MHP stays as an Project, and the KI somehow understands it, or at least it's "impossible" to trick them out. So if you sell them the Tech one turn before they build the Project, they get some nukes for free.

Am I allowed to post a link to the Mod, which atm is uploaded on an other (german) Forum?

The Capo did not mean the projects files but the buildings file. We know that the enable nukes tag in the projects file allows nuke for everyone. We need to know if the tag in the buildinginfos.xml makes a difference.

The Capo did not mean the projects files but the buildings file. We know that the enable nukes tag in the projects file allows nuke for everyone. We need to know if the tag in the buildinginfos.xml makes a difference.

Just tested. It already sayed in the discription that it allows nukes for everybody. :lol:

So it does...

[VK];9011992 said:
The enable nukes Tag in the projects allows nukes for the whole world.

This is what I thought, thanks for the info.

I made a "National Nukes" mod some time ago... am I allowed to post a link to the Mod, which atm is uploaded on an other (german) Forum?

I don't see why not. Go for it! :goodjob:

[VK];9012225 said:
Just tested. It already sayed in the discription that it allows nukes for everybody. :lol:

So it does...

Well, in any event I'd still like to see it. Even if I decide not to use it, I'd still like to use it for ideas.

I'll point out first that I last touched this concept almost 3 years ago, so my memory may be fuzzy. ;)

BUT, in BtS I got Firaxis to add my code so that MHP could be converted to a national wonder and only allow that Civ to make nukes. Hence why bAllowNukes only exists in BtS Civ4BuildingInfos.xml. Due to texts already being locked down I couldn't get a custom text added, so used the default.

So it will display "Allows nukes for all" but in reality only allows nukes for that Civ. So you must build the national project first, before you can build nukes.

OK? :)

Top Bottom