• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[BtS] Manhattan Project Answer

Wells

Chieftain
This modification will make the Manhattan Project a National Wonder, and limit nuclear weapons to people who build this national wonder. The global nature of the Manhattan Project has nettled me since the Original Civilization 3, and now I have done something about it. If you have always wanted to do something about it here is your mod. This mod is for Beyond the Sword.

Manhattan Project Mod

If you have questions, concerns, complaints, etc. You can always refer to the Manhattan Project Question Here

Enjoy.

Just a thought, but wouldn't this mess things up if your city with the Manhatten Project got captured by another Civ? Would yuo then be unable to build Nukes...

Hello Everybody, I'm sorry this took so long. I fixed the problem with the internet. when you click on the Manhattan Project Mod Link It should now take you to a version where the internet is intact. If you lose the city the building is in, you will probably in all likelihood lose the ability to use nukes. Enjoy.

Hey, thats great I always wanted it to be like that since civII. I have an idea, Spies should be able to stop/slow down production of the project and steal info from players who have it already giving the spy owner + :hammers: towards their own manhattan project and/or even steal all the info and plans and getting them a free Manhattan Project in their cap city.
Just a idea. Good work.

Can you rebuild the Manhatten Project if you lose the city it's in?

Will the enemy be able to build nukes if they take that city over?

I have not looked at your mod at all yet, so forgive me if you've already covered this, but wouldn't it make sense to make this as a 'national project', akin to space ship parts, and not a national wonder? Even if the wonder only need be constructed once to enable construction of nukes, an anomalous situation might develop if it's a static building-style wonder and the city in which it was constructed is razed or captured....then you'd have the option to re-construct the wonder in a city later even though you wouldn't need to. Even though the human player would (hopefully) avoid that, the AI might not know the difference....

I have not looked at your mod at all yet, so forgive me if you've already covered this, but wouldn't it make sense to make this as a 'national project', akin to space ship parts, and not a national wonder? Even if the wonder only need be constructed once to enable construction of nukes, an anomalous situation might develop if it's a static building-style wonder and the city in which it was constructed is razed or captured....then you'd have the option to re-construct the wonder in a city later even though you wouldn't need to. Even though the human player would (hopefully) avoid that, the AI might not know the difference....

That's an excellent idea. Can this be done just with xml?

That's an excellent idea. Can this be done just with xml?
-

EDIT: Sorry -- looking at Wells' previous discussion thread, which I hadn't noticed earlier, he already tried my suggestion and it turned out to be a dead end -- the "national" project allows everyone to construct nukes anyway.

Leaving my previous post under a spoiler tag in case anyone is interested. I will probably pass on this mod until a way is devised to make the whole national project thing work....

Spoiler :

I am the *last* guy you should be asking XML questions to (and, for that matter, answering them,) but look in this path:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GameInfo\Civ4ProjectInfo.xml

This appears to have all of the "project" information (like Manhattan, Internet, SDI, Spaceship parts, etc.)

I see the following under the Manhattan Project section:

Code:
            <iMaxGlobalInstances>1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
            <iMaxTeamInstances>-1</iMaxTeamInstances>

Which I presume means that only one (global) instance can be constructed.

The SDI project, on the other hand, has the following values:

Code:
            <iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
            <iMaxTeamInstances>1</iMaxTeamInstances>

And we know that SDI has to be built individually by every team so that it can take effect for that team.

I think if you give the Manhattan Project the same Global Instances/Team Instances that SDI has, it would be a winner.... It would be a true "national project" without having to worry about the anomalies inherent with making it a National Wonder, which is in game terms considered a building that can be destroyed and re-built.

Give it a try and (backing up your files, first!) and let me know how it turns out. I'm going on vacation for the next few days....if it works, I'll start using it myself.

:goodjob:

Maybe! If you set

HTML:
<iMaxGlobalInstances>1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
<iMaxTeamInstances>-1</iMaxTeamInstances>
to
HTML:
<iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
<iMaxTeamInstances>1</iMaxTeamInstances>

there may be a chance.

I will try to test it with worldbuilder.
If it doesn't work right, now everybody can build the manhatten projekt. But everybody can build nukes after the first projekt is completed. An own projekt isn't needed. So it doesn't make any sence.

edith: too late

Bad news. It doesn't work! When one player build the projekt all others can build nukes.

So I tried to give the project to the nukes as prerequested building. Funny result: the palace is than needed to build nukes!

So if you want to you can make the projekt a national projekt that allowes you to build nukes in the capital, but nowhere else!

Just a thought, but why not work the logic like this:

Manhattan project as national wonder---enables building of
Nuclear Weaponization Plant (a city improvement)

Nuclear Weaponization Plant + Uranium is then the prereq for building a nuke
weapon in a particular city. Presumably the plant has material pre-req
of at least uranium.

So the national wonder only enables you to build the factories that build the nukes. Without the factory, you can't build a nuke in a particular city. Lose the city holding the Manhattan project and all is not lost as long as you built a few plants, and ideally the ability to make the plant should persist after the Manhattan project (The logic could be that building the project simply sets a true/false flag for the civ of BuildNukes, and survives past the project ).

Bad news. It doesn't work! When one player build the projekt all others can build nukes.

So I tried to give the project to the nukes as prerequested building. Funny result: the palace is than needed to build nukes!

So if you want to you can make the projekt a national projekt that allowes you to build nukes in the capital, but nowhere else!

Has this gone anywhere? I'd love for Manhattan to be a Nat Wonder.

:old: Okay guys, it's done. It took a very, very long time but it's done.

So there are now two possible ways.

Way 1 (by Dale) - national wonder
Dale made the MHP a national wonder. Once finished it allows the civ (not the team I think) to build nukes. Is the national wonder destroyed/captured nothing changes as Dale says. This national wonder can't be rebuild but nukes can still be build. :crazyeye:

If you like that way please have a look at Dales Combat Mod

Way 2 (by myself) - (team)project
I finally was able to make it a project. Once finished it allows the civ/team to build nukes. As a project it can't be destroyed.

If you like that way please have a look at the german Community Civ V 2.05d (not released) or post here. If enough people like my way I will make a mini-mod asap. :p

Idea.
Way 3 (By myself) - World Wonder
Works like this, the MHP gives you five "Nuke" Resources, these resources are needed to build nuke silos which are needed to build and hold nukes in a city. There resources can not be found on a map. This way, whoever gets the MHP are the only ones able to build nukes, and then they can sell the plans to whoever they want. Then, after the MHP is built, everyone can build their own, nuke wonder, a nat wonder, so that they can build nukes. The Nuke Project gives you two of there nuke resources and gets built four times faster with the resources.

Just an idea, what do think? And the good thing about this is that it wouldn't take much to do. :D Quick and Easy. :D

Nice idea, but missile silos will confuse the AI as it seems - my friend Cybah tried it in his mod. Is a bit tricky.

But the other both ways are ready to use. Those are not ideas - those are existing mods. Both are finished and tested. :D

Oh well, It was just an idea :D

Top Bottom