[BtS Mod] European Empires: Bts

ArbitraryGuy

Rusty Shackleford?
European Empires BtS
A mod by ArbitraryGuy on a map by Arne.

Fifteen civilizations vie for domination in Europe. This mod allows you to play against European civilizations on a modified version of Arne’s Standard European map.

Link to Database:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/./downloads.php?do=file&id=6226

Installation
This mod requires Beyond the Sword...
1) Put the “European Empires BtS” folder in the folder “Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods”
2) Start up BtS. Click “Advanced”. Click “Load a Mod”. Click “European Empires BtS”.
3) Click “Start Game”. Click “Scenario”. Click on any one of the four lovely included scenarios.
4) Win!

Included Civilizations
The fifteen civilizations included are the following from BtS…
Byzantine Empire
Carthaginian Empire
Celtic Empire
English Empire
French Empire
German Empire
Greek Empire
Holy Roman Empire
Dutch Empire
Ottoman Empire
Portuguese Empire
Roman Empire
Russian Empire
Spanish Empire
Viking Empire

Included Scenarios
Four scenarios are included, differing by the number of civilizations on the map. There’s a seven, nine, twelve, and fifteen civilization version of the map. I like the twelve civilization scenario the best, otherwise I feel too crowed or too lonely… but you may have a different preference.

Random Opponents
This may have already been done, but this is something that makes this mod different than all your run-of-the-mill Europe maps and mods: your opponents aren’t predetermined in the included scenarios. Your opponents are random, but they still start in their traditional starting locations. For example, you could play against Frederick’s Germany (starting in Berlin) or Bismarck’s Germany (starting in Berlin) or no Germany at all – your opponents are random but their starting locations aren’t.

Also, the scenarios do not stipulate that you pick a certain leader. For example, you may pick any French leader to lead your Frenchmen to sweet, juicy victory – and they start in Paris (where else?).

Or, pick your opponents by clicking “Custom Scenario”. I bet everyone will still start out in their traditional spots.

European Religions
This scenario includes six religions important to European history and only certain civilizations may found certain religions (no more Isabella founding Buddhism).

Judaism: founded with the European Diaspora tech. Anybody may found Judaism, but nobody may build Jewish missionaries.

Catholicism: founded with the Council of Nicea tech. Only the Celts, French, Holy Roman Empire, Portuguese, Romans, or Spanish may found Catholicism.

Islam: founded with the Spread of Islam tech. Only the Ottomans or Carthaginians may found Islam.

Orthodox: founded with the Great Schism tech. Only the Byzantines, Russians, or Greeks may found Orthodox.

Calvinism: founded with the Spread of Calvinism tech. Only the English, French (pesky Huguenots!), Dutch, Germans, or Vikings may found Calvinism.

Lutheranism: founded with the Spread of Lutheranism (how fitting) tech. Only the English, Holy Roman Empire, Dutch, Germans, or Vikings may found Lutheranism.

Known Issues
A few things still need a bit of refinement. Because of the way I’ve used python to assign realistic starting locations to random civs, you will notice a random revealed area on your map far away from your traditional starting location. Just ignore this… I have.

Also, due to how I’ve scripted this there is a slight chance (about 1 in 7) that you’ll randomly make contact with some random civ before the game even begins. You have two options. First, consider yourself lucky and just ignore it. Second, restart the scenario and it may not happen again. Third (okay, three options), figure out a way around this and send it to me.

Final Note
This is the first step in my Europa Europa: BtS mod that will include many new civilizations (complete with UUs and UBs) and other new, fun, and exciting stuff. Please let me know of any questions, comments, complaints, or concerns you may have.

Here's a question - is 19th century europe mod abandoned?

In anycase, this all sounds cool enough to justify me getting BTS!

Cool so far. Your right about 15 civs being a little crowded. Maybe I'll move HRE to where Austria would be and the Celts in place of Poland.

I am very happy that my favourite scenario is back. :goodjob:

At first look it seems to me that west europe is very crovded as opossed to east europe.

Thanks for the comments, all. Please understand that this is just a quick, preliminary mod I slapped together to get a hang of BtS.

As for crowded Western Europe... it is crowded because I simply included the BtS civs in it. You can mitigate this by selecting your opponents with the "Custom Scenario" option on the second main menu. The Europa Europa: BtS version will have a much more balanced approach to eastern Europe with Austria, Poland, Lithuania, Bohemia, and Hungary.

Enjoy.

Really liking the changes you made to reflect European religious thought. Very playable and somewhat historical. Kudos! Oh, is it just my imagination or is there no oil in north Africa(Libya)?

will check this mod out :)

edit:
-I've started Dutch, there is a fog of war problem, check screenshot:

- you should place more hills in western europe, at least near capital cities... Dutch has no chance for any production :huh:

- also a little much resources would be good because of corporations

will check this mod out :)

edit:
-I've started Dutch, there is a fog of war problem, check screenshot:

From the first post...

ArbitraryGuy said:

Known Issues

A few things still need a bit of refinement. Because of the way I’ve used python to assign realistic starting locations to random civs, you will notice a random revealed area on your map far away from your traditional starting location. Just ignore this… I have.

- you should place more hills in western europe, at least near capital cities... Dutch has no chance for any production :huh:

- also a little much resources would be good because of corporations

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep these in mind for EE.

Nice work AG, I really enjoyed the previous version of this, looking forward to trying it on BTS.

If it is same map as previously, my only suggestion (for now) is maybe a few more resources, I remember playing as Russia and having like 20 cities with not a single resource, and then in a few areas there was like 6 wheats all next to each other.

Keep up the great work.

:goodjob: One of my favorite mods is back! yeah!
Thanks Arbitrary for the work you do. You are the :king:

I've already given a go to the mod, once with Spain and once with France.
I've noticed that the gap betwen Russia and the rest is very big, maybe there may fit another civ.

I played EE vanilla, and i remember there were a lot more nations. Have you plans to create them in the BtS version too?

Anyway the mod seems great as always, i get so much fun playing it. I'm a History lover too, AG!

Have you ever thought about a translation of EE? I could help you with Spanish and maybe French and Italian. And if you would like any suggestion i would be pleased to help.
I could give you any information you would want about Spain, Italy and France, its troops, its spies, etc. Anything you need to make EE even better.

I'd love a version with no Russia, but that's beating a :deadhorse: ;)

A more defined map and no Russia would be ideal, albeit unrealistic.

Great work AG.

Top Bottom