[BTS] New Civ: Scotland

We already had a running a while back in the main forum if you remember! :p

Where in the game do they show up as UU? If they are 'normal' units with no promotions, merely just changed artwork, then this will not effect the game at all even if they have to be introduced into it as UU's. If it is too much work, I would leave the units as non promoted UU's. It is after all a 'UU' for Scotland, however we just don't want 3 or 4 units all UU with promotions for accusations of cheatery!

That I would need to read into. Off my head, the only thing I could suggest would be Scottish Light Infantry. The first Scottish regiment that was accepted for Light Infantry training roughly about 1800-10, 72nd Highlanders.

I don't think there will be a Scottish colloquialism for these troops as they only appeared after the AoU 1707.

No, I don't remember. Was this over the interpretation of the Treaty of Union or something? Just a guess, none of the Scots there liked what I said about that.

Anyways, no, at the beginning of the game they will be listed as a UU; anything I do to stop this will result in the unit being available to everyone. They won't be proper UUs unless I give them extra stats of course ... but it just might confuse people into thinking we were overpowering the civ.

Those names you're suggesting are too technical. I'll just leave it at Highland Rifleman. It is a cool unit in action btw.

No, I don't remember. Was this over the interpretation of the Treaty of Union or something? Just a guess, none of the Scots there liked what I said about that.

Anyways, no, at the beginning of the game they will be listed as a UU; anything I do to stop this will result in the unit being available to everyone. They won't be proper UUs unless I give them extra stats of course ... but it just might confuse people into thinking we were overpowering the civ.

Those names you're suggesting are too technical. I'll just leave it at Highland Rifleman. It is a cool unit in action btw.

I think that topic may have been involved, along with a few words on both sides about the Etymology of Edinburgh :lol:

I understand. Well, even if they do list at the start of the game at least people playing your mod will know which units to look forward too!

No I wouldn't give them any extra promotions as previously discussed, and just leave a note on your OP stating that while they appear as UU they are only included for unit flavour and do not add any bonus other than that to the unit.

It can't confuse them that much, mouse over the Galloglass and it tells you it will come with GII. Mouse over the others, and I presume, it would come up with no added promotions if you coded it that way.

Highland Riflemen are fine by me. Unless you want to pick a regiment and use that instead. I do realise that the game does have programming limitations, and it is near on impossible to get a real life reflection!

Yeah I can imagine it does look cool! Can't wait!

I think we should have two extra resources, White Heather, and Thistles. These give :commerce: similar to wine, perhaps +1 :culture: too! ;) :lol: Think of all the extra commerce of little fish wives sitting around selling their lucky white heather! :lol: (Perhaps not entirely serious here!)

@ Soneji: will add them in the next week some time ... have some tasks I must accomplish first.

@ General Matt: that looks like what Soneji was looking for. Will for sure add that. :goodjob:

@ General Matt: If you ever have time, would you consider making a Scottish musketman - this is the proper Highlander (!). A great contemporary woodcarving was made of Scottish musketmen at Stettin during the 30 Years War:
http://www.historicgames.com/Scottishstuff/stettin.jpg
Just to note, the woodcarving called them Irishmen, but it can be proven that they were Scottish Highlanders.

General Matt's suggestion raises the possibility of two Scottish civs. I find it difficult to hold post-17th century Scotland and pre-14th century Scotland as the same civilizations. They are so different in language, culture, important centers (i.e. city-list); yet it'd be a lot of work to do two. For now we've got a UU and at least three good flavour units. It is a matter though worthy of future consideration.

I saw one of those somewhere, let me see..

Edit: Here we are.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=3633604#post3633604

Well, yes, I'd venture, esp. if you compare Scotland from that era with later Lowland as opposed to Highland culture ... but anyways, 'nother thread as you say.

Just went and integrated the Highland Rifleman. It so friggin' cool. :goodjob: Shame on GeneralMatt for being quiet about it (General Matt, you didn't create a button for it, but now worries I've done that now). The CivGold guys gotta make that rather than an iron age warrior the UU, esp. if they are calling it "Highlander".

One problem is the new flavour units will appear in the game as UUs, when they are not; the only way around this I know is to add a Scottish Art Style, but that would involved the rather tedious and long process of copying and individually editing every unit normally available to European civs all for the sake of 3 or 4 units not falsely appearing to be UUs. Not really worth it atm.

PS, if you can think of a better name for it than "Highland Rifleman", do let me know.

It isn't that hard to add a unit style entry. Just copy the entire European entry (From start to finish) paste, rename to Scottish and put the new entry in for the units you add. I did it for a "British" civ in a little scenario I am working on, works well.

But that is what I would like to see, a British Civ combining Scotland, Wales, England, and even a little Irish.. There is one for Warlords, but not yet for BtS.

Thank you GM.

So we now have two/three highlanders to pick from, your Galloglass, Knight, and now both a Scottish Musketman and Rifleman. :)

If you can wrap all these in calgacus this mod will be impressive compaired to one UU mods previously.

(not that all the units will be promoted UU's)

Thanks General Matt ... that rather bizzarely worked first time. The Rifleman and Swordsman are now flavour units rather than UUs. I'll add the Musketman in my next period of free time. Also, there's a cool celtic chariot that I'll need to include. If you come across other such units, lemme know as soon as you can so I can include them.

And what's that knight you're talking about?

I'm am constantly on the look out for units that I think would fit into your mod!

Did you not change the knight or possibly horse archer?

As I noticed that it had a St Andrews cross on the shield, albeit in Blue with Purple stripe.. :? May have been seeing things.

Well keep up the good work, can't wait to see the next version with these flavour units. Glad that they can be included without showing as UU's as well!

Kudos. :)

There was a BTS Modular mod I saw somewhere that had Mary Queen of Scots as the leader, not sure where I saw it though or even if you would want her as a leader.

As for other units.. The Scottish do not seem to have had a large amount of types of units in history, and I have not seen any Scottish "What If" units..

I've been playing around with Blender but progress is rather slow :p

Almost done with it. Just need to fully modularise it and to figure out what to name the new swordsman, axeman and spearman. Also, found a Highland Grenadier! ;)

The Mary leaderhead - Isabella with a different outfit and background - is alright, but Mary is hardly worthy of being Scottish leader; probably the worst and most disastrous leader in Scottish history. There is also a "Robert Bruce" leaderhead (redone Napoleon); but he is beardless, wearing 19th century attire, and looks like Alex Salmond.

I've been playing around with Blender but progress is rather slow :p

Yes, it can be very complicated. At the moment I am attempting to conquer the 3ds Max 7 demo, it might be very useful to obtain, 3ds Max that is, if I get serious enough about model making.
Good to hear it is almost done, I cannot wait to download it finished!
The Mary I saw was a Catherine reskin.. but I understand her not really being good enough to make the cut.

Yes, it can be very complicated. At the moment I am attempting to conquer the 3ds Max 7 demo, it might be very useful to obtain, 3ds Max that is, if I get serious enough about model making.
Good to hear it is almost done, I cannot wait to download it finished!
The Mary I saw was a Catherine reskin.. but I understand her not really being good enough to make the cut.

Yeah, Catherine, that's who I meant. Confused there.

Almost done with it. Just need to fully modularise it and to figure out what to name the new swordsman, axeman and spearman. Also, found a Highland Grenadier! ;)

The Mary leaderhead - Isabella with a different outfit and background - is alright, but Mary is hardly worthy of being Scottish leader; probably the worst and most disastrous leader in Scottish history. There is also a "Robert Bruce" leaderhead (redone Napoleon); but he is beardless, wearing 19th century attire, and looks like Alex Salmond.

Ooh where did you find the grenadier? :)

How long until you have it wrapped up? Cannot wait!

Oh oh oh please try your hardest to get it up ASAP calgacus.. don't want to start a fresh game until you have released it. I'll be your one man beta tester.

:)

Anyway well done on the hard work.

OK, I was gonna play a test game first, but since you volunteered beta work, I'm upload it for you now. I'll put it on the front page when you tell me it's all fine and good. :D

New Flavour Units:

Carpat: Replaces Chariot
Pictish Swordsman: Replaces swordsman
Scottish Axeman: Replaces Axeman
Scoloc: Replaces Spearman
Toisech: Replaces Horse Archer
Schiltrom: Replaces Pikeman
Clansman: Replaces Musketman
Highland Rifleman: Replaces Rifleman
Highland Grenadier: Replaces Grenadier

Spoiler :

Clansman will need renamed. A dream unit if someone makes it would be the kind of jacobite musketman depicted on all those painting, armed with musket and sword, with fire and charge animations. This one is just a musketman will a sexy tartan number.
Scottish Axeman and Pictish Swordsman need renamed to.

Schiltrom, Scoloc, and Toisech have pedia entries, the rest just go straight to the entries of the units they replace.

I replaced the Horse Archer because no Scottish civ should have such a unit, a unit more at home in Central Asia than anywhere in western Europe. The horseman, named toisech for flavour sake, carries a spear.

I'll need to at some point track the unit makers of each new unit in order to credit. Will start doing that next time I have time.
Link:

Here's what you've been waiting for!

Haha good man!

Units look well cool! :D

I'll probably let you know by tomorrow! ;)

No-one else should download this. The chariot doesn't work properly on that version, but Soneji maybe you didn't build any.

Anyways, despite all my efforts to name these units, they appear in the game without their names. :8 I dunno how to fix that, but I guess it doesn't matter.

LOL ... I was testing it on the WorldBuilder, but didn't realise that when you build these units in the game, it just uses the artwork. Silly me.

No-one else should download this. The chariot doesn't work properly on that version, but Soneji maybe you didn't build any.

Anyways, despite all my efforts to name these units, they appear in the game without their names. :8 I dunno how to fix that, but I guess it doesn't matter.

LOL ... I was testing it on the WorldBuilder, but didn't realise that when you build these units in the game, it just uses the artwork. Silly me.

I did build one, that was when the red dots appeared.

However if I went into WB they would pop up fine...

:crazyeye:

Nice mod- but the Gallowglass seems a bit weak. Tweak a bit to have hmmm... 9 strength? or extra movement? Plz?

Top Bottom