[BTS] New Civ: Scotland

Pangur Bán

Deconstructed
Hey, a few folk were requesting to play as Scotland on Beyond the sword. Well, here you all are:

Leaders
Mael Coluim II, Aggressive & Organized
David I, Financial & Spiritual

UU
Galloglass - Maceman replacement; Starts with Guerrilla II

UB
Royal Society - Observatory replacement; +25% science; 1 free scientist, can turn two citizens into scientists, but costs 1/3rd more and requires University

LINK
Load into the BTW Mods folder, wherever that is located for you. On my Windows Vista machine, this is:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/10777/BTS_Scotland_civ.zip

Mod was made with patch 3.13.

Mael Coluim II on civ selection screen
Spoiler :

David I game start:
Spoiler :

Scotland:
Spoiler :

Meeting Mael Coluim II
Spoiler :

Meeting David I:
Spoiler :

Some Galloglass:
Spoiler :

Galloglass pedia:
Spoiler :

City List:
Spoiler :
<Cities>
<City>Scone</City>
<City>Perth</City>
<City>Dunkeld</City>
<City>St Andrews</City>
<City>Dunfermline</City>
<City>Abernethy</City>
<City>Edinburgh</City>
<City>Glasgow</City>
<City>Stirling</City>
<City>Aberdeen</City>
<City>Inverness</City>
<City>Elgin</City>
<City>Rosemarkie</City>
<City>Brechin</City>
<City>Dumbarton</City>
<City>Cadzow</City>
<City>Roxburgh</City>
<City>Dunblane</City>
<City>Forres</City>
<City>Nairn</City>
<City>Forfar</City>
<City>Dingwall</City>
<City>Tain</City>
<City>Dornoch</City>
<City>Mortlach</City>
<City>Montrose</City>
<City>Arbroath</City>
<City>Banff</City>
<City>Auldearn</City>
<City>Paisley</City>
<City>Forteviot</City>
<City>Clackmannan</City>
<City>Auchterarder</City>
<City>Kinross</City>
<City>Dundee</City>
<City>Lanark</City>
<City>Ayr</City>
<City>Whithorn</City>
<City>Dumfries</City>
<City>Linlithgow</City>
<City>Kincardine</City>
<City>Inverurie</City>
<City>Kintore</City>
<City>Cullen</City>
<City>Lismore</City>
<City>Rutherglen</City>
<City>Renfrew</City>
<City>Wigtown</City>
<City>Kirkcudbright</City>
<City>Finlaggan</City>
<City>Snizort</City>
<City>Falkirk</City>
<City>Dunnottar</City>
<City>Haddington</City>
<City>Dunbar</City>
<City>Berwick</City>
<City>Irvine</City>
<City>Dundonald</City>
<City>Inverbervie</City>
<City>Cupar</City>
<City>Crail</City>
<City>Ellon</City>
<City>Peebles</City>
<City>Traquair</City>
<City>Melrose</City>
<City>Selkirk</City>
<City>Jedburgh</City>
<City>Muthill</City>
<City>Doune</City>
<City>Dundurn</City>
<City>Fettercairn</City>
<City>Fetteresso</City>
<City>Rathinveramon</City>
<City>Urquhart</City>
<City>Beauly</City>
<City>Kingussie</City>
<City>Caerlaverock</City>
<City>Lochmaben</City>
<City>Turnberry</City>
<City>Maybole</City>
<City>Threave</City>
<City>Rothesay</City>
<City>Inveraray</City>
<City>Dunaverty</City>
<City>Dunstaffnage</City>
<City>Portmahomack</City>
<City>Kildrummy</City>
<City>Lumphannan</City>
<City>Edirdour</City>
<City>Dunskeath</City>
<City>Motherwell</City>
<City>Kilmarnock</City>
<City>Kirkcaldy</City>
<City>Livingston</City>
<City>Airdrie</City>
<City>Kirkintilloch</City>
<City>Alloa</City>
<City>Stranraer</City>
<City>Invergordon</City>
<City>Thurso</City>
<City>Oban</City>
<City>Kinross</City>
<City>Leuchars</City>
<City>Anstruther</City>
<City>Lochleven</City>
<City>Lesmahagow</City>
<City>Alness</City>
<City>Dundrennan</City>
<City>Glenluce</City>
<City>Lindores</City>
<City>Cambuskenneth</City>
<City>Crossraguel</City>
<City>Dercongal</City>
<City>Dryburgh</City>
<City>Fearn</City>
<City>Culross</City>
<City>Tongland</City>
<City>Balmerino</City>
<City>Coupar Angus</City>
<City>Deer</City>
<City>Ardchattan</City>
<City>Pittenweem</City>
<City>Monymusk</City>
<City>Restenneth</City>
<City>Strathfillan</City>
<City>Blantyre</City>
<City>Inchaffray</City>
<City>Inchmahome</City>
<City>Fyvie</City>
<City>Loch Leven</City>
<City>Loch Doon</City>
<City>Lochindorb</City>
<City>Kilwinning</City>
<City>Fortingall</City>
<City>Campbelltown</City>
<City>Coldingham</City>
<City>Stow of Wedale</City>
<City>Inchmurdo</City>
<City>Dunoon</City>
<City>Kiltearn</City>
<City>Balconie</City>
<City>Edderton</City>
<City>Nigg</City>
<City>Golspie</City>
<City>Pluscarden</City>
<City>Schiehallion</City>
<City>Dunnichen</City>
<City>Meigle</City>
<City>Aberlemno</City>
<City>Moncrieff</City>
<City>Kinblethmont</City>
<City>Dunadd</City>
<City>Dunollie</City>
<City>St Vigeans</City>
<City>Cadboll</City>
<City>Burghead</City>
<City>Abercorn</City>
<City>Callandar</City>
<City>Methven</City>
<City>Monifieth</City>
<City>Dunning</City>
<City>Dull</City>
<City>Alyth</City>
<City>Inverkip</City>
<City>Kiltearn</City>
<City>Duffus</City>
<City>Balvenie</City>
<City>Panmure</City>
<City>Bothwell</City>
<City>Balmaclellan</City>
<City>Avoch</City>
<City>Rothes</City>
<City>Rossie</City>
<City>Kinghorn</City>
<City>Lochore</City>
<City>Longforgan</City>
<City>Inchture</City>
<City>Manuel</City>
<City>Dalhousie</City>
<City>Cardross</City>
<City>Cambusnethan</City>
<City>Ardrossan</City>
<City>Mochrum</City>
<City>Buittle</City>
<City>Loudon</City>
<City>Urr</City>
<City>Moidart</City>
<City>Kilcolmkill</City>
<City>Sleat</City>
</Cities>

Almost all of the artwork which is new was borrowed from other sources, so some credits must be mentioned:

bernie14, for his Norman swordsman. Norman swordsman perfect for Galloglass save only the shield:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225303

Amra & CIV Gold Library, for the image used for Mael Coluim II, a version of Hannibal remade for the Pictish leader.

Chamaedrys for the image I used for the Royal Society, rather large for the purposes here, but acceptable for just now.:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=204546

David I is Charlemagne with a change in hair color. The backgrounds were changed too for both leaders. Behind Mael Coluim II is Dunnottar Castle, and behind David I, Carlisle Castle.

Thank you very much indeed. :)

Kudos on the city list, or at least names of places, I would have had to reffer to the books heavily on that one!

Thank you very much indeed. :)

Kudos on the city list, or at least names of places, I would have had to reffer to the books heavily on that one!

Peter G B McNeill & Hector L McQueen (eds.), Atlas of Scottish History, was great for preventing me forgetting important places.

Do let me know when and if you play it so I can be confident it runs fine on other machines. :D

Well I played it last night, I would say one thing though, perhaps the Royal Society gives that little bit too much. I've got infantry its it only like 1506! :D

Runs fine, however I must ask.. can you add a second UU?

Thanks for the reading suggestion.

Well I played it last night, I would say one thing though, perhaps the Royal Society gives that little bit too much. I've got infantry its it only like 1506! :D

Runs fine, however I must ask.. can you add a second UU?

Thanks for the reading suggestion.

And that was down to the Royal Society? Well, sounds like you were doing well enough to get Astronomy and Education well before 1506! ;) If you do think it is overpowered, I can take away the second scientist place and remove the extra costs. That'd make it no more or less powerful than the French salon.

2nd UU would of course be unbalanced. You mean a flavour unit? That's no problem if you can direct me to appropriate graphics.

No I'd leave it as is at the moment, let me play a few more games to see how the RC really pans out. It is a nice addition, I think my game last night was pure fluke.

Yes, I don't care for the second UU actually having any extra promotions or strength, but it would be very cool if you can get the swordsmen to look like Highlanders.. ie the stereotypical kilt etc.

As requested.. graphics..

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134956&page=2

(see post number 30)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=163654

Although, my favourite highland unit has to be the highlander from CivGold 3.0 for BtS. I cannot find a graphic pack of that however, twas real cool having blood on the swords!

:)

To annoy you even further, it would be good to see a Scottish gunpowder unit. Not as a UU, merely for unit flavour.

What I would suggest would be something from the Crimean period:

I realise that these were British Highlanders (1850 roughly), however I feel personally that they would merit their inclusion considering how much of an impact they had, and how they became world renound.

However, I think I'm going to have to try and make that unit myself perhaps..

No I'd leave it as is at the moment, let me play a few more games to see how the RC really pans out. It is a nice addition, I think my game last night was pure fluke.

Yes, I don't care for the second UU actually having any extra promotions or strength, but it would be very cool if you can get the swordsmen to look like Highlanders.. ie the stereotypical kilt etc.

As requested.. graphics..

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134956&page=2

(see post number 30)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=163654

Although, my favourite highland unit has to be the highlander from CivGold 3.0 for BtS. I cannot find a graphic pack of that however, twas real cool having blood on the swords!

:)

I'll download civgold and see what can be pinched. I remember there being a Mary leaderhead.

The two units you posted ... when I have time ... I can include as flavour units ... maybe a warrior replacement and a swordsman replacement. But I'll have a look at the CivGold unit too. Civ4 however has no provision for High/Late Medieval light infantry.

A Highlander unit - called by that name - really has to be musket or later; shame I've not seen any such units about yet. As for the Rifleman pic you posted ... yeah ... it looks cool. I'm not the man for making units though. You should however post a request on the unit graphics forum. There's a good chance someone would make it.

I have CivGold 3.0 for Warlords on the system at home, I will have a dig around the folders when I get back to see if I can locate the highland swordsman from that (it is better than those two graphically). Civgold does also have a good Mary leader head, as you say.

Warrior and swordsman replacement sounds good, ideally with the Civgold highlander replacing Swordsman. Maybe the second 'Highlander' I posted a link to above would make a good Pict-ish Warrior?

That rifleman highlander has been requested, with no avail.. I shall see if I cannot conjure someone to do it. It would give the mod a more complete 'Scottish feel'!

I have CivGold 3.0 for Warlords on the system at home, I will have a dig around the folders when I get back to see if I can locate the highland swordsman from that (it is better than those two graphically). Civgold does also have a good Mary leader head, as you say.

Warrior and swordsman replacement sounds good, ideally with the Civgold highlander replacing Swordsman. Maybe the second 'Highlander' I posted a link to above would make a good Pict-ish Warrior?

That rifleman highlander has been requested, with no avail.. I shall see if I cannot conjure someone to do it. It would give the mod a more complete 'Scottish feel'!

Sorry to hear that.

BTW, the swordsman unit you linked seems to be the same as the CivGold one. Also, on civgold, they have a leaderhead of Robert the Bruce, but it is far too unauthentic to be used. I.e. the leader, a redone Napoleon, is wearing a tartan jacket that can date no earlier than the 19th century ... kinda looks like Alex Salmond though. Erm ... there's a thought. :eek: Financial & Charismatic?

lol @ Alex Salmond comment.

The Civgold one I am sure was brighter in colour, and had blood on its sword.

Perhaps I am wrong!

However even if you incorporate those two above as warrior/swordsman it would rock!

Just to mention, I did do a Scottish rifleman, may not be satisfactory though?

Here.

@ Soneji: will add them in the next week some time ... have some tasks I must accomplish first.

@ General Matt: that looks like what Soneji was looking for. Will for sure add that. :goodjob:

@ General Matt: If you ever have time, would you consider making a Scottish musketman - this is the proper Highlander (!). A great contemporary woodcarving was made of Scottish musketmen at Stettin during the 30 Years War:
http://www.historicgames.com/Scottishstuff/stettin.jpg
Just to note, the woodcarving called them Irishmen, but it can be proven that they were Scottish Highlanders.

General Matt's suggestion raises the possibility of two Scottish civs. I find it difficult to hold post-17th century Scotland and pre-14th century Scotland as the same civilizations. They are so different in language, culture, important centers (i.e. city-list); yet it'd be a lot of work to do two. For now we've got a UU and at least three good flavour units. It is a matter though worthy of future consideration.

I find it difficult to hold post-17th century Scotland and pre-14th century Scotland as the same civilizations. They are so different in language, culture, important centers (i.e. city-list)

Yes centres of power changes, however I would not say that culture had changed unrecognisably?

I fail to see how they are not the same Civilization however...

(perhaps one for anther thread..) :lol:

Yes centres of power changes, however I would not say that culture had changed unrecognisably?

I fail to see how they are not the same Civilization however...

(perhaps one for anther thread..) :lol:

Well, yes, I'd venture, esp. if you compare Scotland from that era with later Lowland as opposed to Highland culture ... but anyways, 'nother thread as you say.

Just went and integrated the Highland Rifleman. It so friggin' cool. :goodjob: Shame on GeneralMatt for being quiet about it (General Matt, you didn't create a button for it, but now worries I've done that now). The CivGold guys gotta make that rather than an iron age warrior the UU, esp. if they are calling it "Highlander".

One problem is the new flavour units will appear in the game as UUs, when they are not; the only way around this I know is to add a Scottish Art Style, but that would involved the rather tedious and long process of copying and individually editing every unit normally available to European civs all for the sake of 3 or 4 units not falsely appearing to be UUs. Not really worth it atm.

PS, if you can think of a better name for it than "Highland Rifleman", do let me know.

We already had a running a while back in the main forum if you remember! :p

Where in the game do they show up as UU? If they are 'normal' units with no promotions, merely just changed artwork, then this will not effect the game at all even if they have to be introduced into it as UU's. If it is too much work, I would leave the units as non promoted UU's. It is after all a 'UU' for Scotland, however we just don't want 3 or 4 units all UU with promotions for accusations of cheatery!

That I would need to read into. Off my head, the only thing I could suggest would be Scottish Light Infantry. The first Scottish regiment that was accepted for Light Infantry training roughly about 1800-10, 72nd Highlanders.

I don't think there will be a Scottish colloquialism for these troops as they only appeared well after the AoU 1707. Unless you want the unit to be a Jacobian musketman.

Delete.. I am being silly!

Top Bottom