BtS without mods

howawawa

Chieftain
Are there still people playing this game without any additional fan made mods?
I do.
And I always play with random events and huts.
I realized that almost all of you turn huts and events off and play with mods. Or am I mistaken?

I play a lot of MP so no mods.
And we like huts and random so we use them.
We do turn off diplo victory and vassals since they weren't really thought out and executed properly so not approp for MP games.

When I play SP I use the same settings and just consider it practice.

BUG/BULL or BAT is recommend for SP and MP. They are unaltered gameplay mods with UI enhancements. I highly recommend it. (BAT is BUG/BULL with some graphics. You can add Blue marble for terrain in Custom assets to work with pretty much anything) Surprised Rah and his gang don't use them.

I occasionally play a modpack for a diversion. I used to play them more but now mainly just play standard BTS, HOF games, GOTMs. There's plenty of enjoyment with the base game.

Most forum games here are played without huts and events. What you choose for your own personal games is your choice really.

Oh..and welcome to CFC, OP!!!:banana:

To me playing without k-mod is like playing without the latest patch or playing Warlords instead of BTS. Still good, but k-mod is just a natural step forward.

However it does seem like a lot of players stick with just BUG/BAT/BULL. Makes sense for HoF-style players I guess.

I play with BUFFY because I have to for HoF. If I didn't, I'd probably use BUG + BULL or BAT like (almost) everybody does on this site.
Sometimes I open games without any mods, i. e. when BUG + BULL users post their games (and if they have installed those mods in the custom assets) because BULL modifies some files in a kind, that it doesn't work together with BUFFY. When I do, I find it horrible to look at the game. All of the important information, like how much pop a whip will cost in the production bar, how much overflow that whip gives me and all sorts of similar information, isn't there, I'd go crazy if I had to beat Deity like that!

The game I play is standard BtS though as BUFFY and HoF only allow unaltered gameplay. I also play with huts and events, and I like it. Huts mostly because they mostly have nice results (without Barbs they cannot even spawn Barbs) and events enrich the game imho. The most overpowered events are patched out of BUFFY anyhow (like i. e. Tower-Shield or Police-State event) , so it's not 100% unaltered gameplay, the HoF needs these things though, because games where players would get such events simply could not compare to the other games, which would result in HoF-players having to throw away every game where they don't get such events.

And like limone already said: Welcome to CFC :assimilate: :goodjob:

i play the official game as well. I installed BUG once but i didnt like being warned when AIs started planning war and other things i dont remember so I uninstalled it (or rather i erased the game and reinstalled it all, I dont quite remember, but it was messy...)

i play the official game as well. I installed BUG once but i didnt like being warned when AIs started planning war and other things i dont remember so I uninstalled it (or rather i erased the game and reinstalled it all, I dont quite remember, but it was messy...)

AIs planning war is readily available without BUG mod, so that should not be a reason. BUG is easy to uninstall by the way. If you installed in custom assets then just delete the custom assets folder (a fresh one is generated when you restart the game). If installed stand alone then just delete the BUG folder

AIs planning war is readily available without BUG mod

It's available in the sense that if you go in to the trade screen, hover your mouse over the red text and decipher the response you can figure it out.

It was of course never intended to be as in-your-face as BUG made it.

The information is available, and it makes sense for BUG to include it. Calling it "readily available" however is stretching it and I understand why some players don't want it.

K-Mod of course fixed the issue by making the WHEOOHRN-reply the last and not first check :)

It's available in the sense that if you go in to the trade screen, hover your mouse over the red text and decipher the response you can figure it out.

It was of course never intended to be as in-your-face as BUG made it.

The information is available, and it makes sense for BUG to include it. Calling it "readily available" however is stretching it and I understand why some players don't want it.

K-Mod of course fixed the issue by making the WHEOOHRN-reply the last and not first check :)

The difference between readily available and available is really neat picking.

I play BTS without mods. I find that BUG is really cluttered for my taste, but it sure is handy if you're really into the numbers game. Playing CIV is essentially playing a spreadsheet of data and random number generations with fun graphics.

To me playing without k-mod is like playing without the latest patch or playing Warlords instead of BTS. Still good, but k-mod is just a natural step forward.
That's how it started unfortunately it lost it's way a bit, too many changes for my liking :confused:

Playing Civ without a sensible UI like Mods provide turns a game into work, you have to check so many screens every turn.

Is there a table here that deciphers the response?

There is no deciphering the response. When it says "We have enough on our hands right now" it means they are either at war or plotting a war. It's very straightforward, and the difference with BUG is you don't have to waste time going into the trade screen to know this obvious information. There is no other option for that and it always means what it says.

Playing without BUG imo is silly. Many of these UI features should have been provide standard.

I honestly couldn't play without BUG and BULL now. It's so incredibly useful. It doesn't change anything with the actual game play, so I'm not sure why people would want to avoid it. Other than that I don't use mods, though, so in that sense it's unmodded, as in not changing the actual game play, which is what mods usually do.

I play without any mods.
I don't even want an information about if an AI could probably plan an attack or not - if you would play against a human player (e.g. pbem), there wouldn't be an indicator either.
For me this is even more exploiting the AI.

I play without any mods.
I don't even want an information about if an AI could probably plan an attack or not - if you would play against a human player (e.g. pbem), there wouldn't be an indicator either.
For me this is even more exploiting the AI.

If you don't want that information, you have to blame the base-game, not the mods. Base-game shows when AIs are planning for war, BUG just makes it more visible by pulling the information on one of the most used screens, still, by simply visiting the leader himself, one could always know.

Any particular changes that puts you off?
Not one specific thing, I just wish Karadoc had stuck to fixing Bugs / making the AI smarter then it might have got more acceptance. I do think the AI is far too aggressive now, it plays like a MP game - which is what Karadoc prefers I know.

If you don't want that information, you have to blame the base-game, not the mods. Base-game shows when AIs are planning for war, BUG just makes it more visible by pulling the information on one of the most used screens, still, by simply visiting the leader himself, one could always know.

You are kind of right, but you can choose to not hover over red-colored options in the trade-screen (a screen I don't even visit that often). Choosing to not look at the screen for 10 seconds (?) after each new turn until the messages fade away and somehow blend out the red fists in the standings is more difficult.

You are kind of right, but you can choose to not hover over red-colored options in the trade-screen (a screen I don't even visit that often). Choosing to not look at the screen for 10 seconds (?) after each new turn until the messages fade away and somehow blend out the red fists in the standings is more difficult.

You could reduce the scoreboard (click on your name in it), or probably remove the whole thing via BUG options. But if people don't want that extra info, they probably wouldn't use BUG anyway. I can understand wanting to play the game more 'blind', but to me it's great to have the extra info from BUG. It's so much easier to access it than in the base game, and some of that stuff is quite important.

Top Bottom