Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Hmm this didn't go as planned :mischief:

I was stable. I had 2 cities under Egyptian area, Arabs had 1-2 and Indies had 1 city. Egypt respawned. This was the aftermath:
upload_2018-1-12_13-49-31.png
I lost Alexandria, but not Diaspolis Magna :crazyeye:

I just would like to point out this case "Athens". There was Western and Eastern Roman Empire. Turks spawned. No war to ERE from the Turks. No Athens flip to Turks from WRE. This is not the case when there is only one Roman Empire, Athens always wants to flip.
upload_2018-1-12_14-25-51.png

I managed to get those saves for you. The older one is Norway/Sweden/Bergen. Looks like the Norsk people changed their name right before Bergen was founded.

The newer one is that Incan statesman.

Just hit the next turn to experience those.

EDIT: It seems that Aztec statesman has the same error than Incan.
Alright, just to confirm, are you playing with the VD module? Or plain Git?

Hello there :)

It is good to see there are still Civ 4 mod players. And thank you to Leoreth for developing this nice mod :)

I have a few problems with Dawn of Civilization. I have downloaded this file
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dawnofciv/files/
Install Dawn of Civilization.exe
which i think is 1.4 version with modules.

My issues are,
1- Some units graphic can not be loaded. They seem as pink colour and dont have preview graphic. Heavy Horseman and Janissaries are examples for these. However bombards and cities seem fine. I think it is about graphic module but not sure whicih one is it. Is there any solution for it? Can i delete or disable module whicih causes it? (I have high graphic details)

2- DoC mod is really takes time to start. Game takes 3 mins to start after running shortcut which i tried 5 times for start. And game turns also take like 8 sec to pass next turn. I have 3.1 ghz ryzen cpu, 8gb ram and new 4gb gaming video card. Game is
running in hdd not ssd. Is there anyway to speed these issues :) ?

btw I tried these with ottoman starting in 1700.

I've loaded up 2 Carthage games in a row and both times the Great Cothon was built within 10 turns of my spawning. I'll reply with more details if it happens again.

Infinite python exceptions when adopting Public Welfare:
Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
It occurs upon switching from regulated trade to public welfare in the attached save.

EDIT: it also occurs when switching to Free Enterprise, so it's a more general problem, but I don't know to what extent.

Attachments

• Oda Nobunaga AD-1908 Turn 596.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
View attachment 485228
It occurs upon switching from regulated trade to public welfare in the attached save.

EDIT: it also occurs when switching to Free Enterprise, so it's a more general problem, but I don't know to what extent.

I literally did it in my recent game and never had any issues.

View attachment 485228

Did you make a change in the python code during that game? That generally causes this kind of errors. Restarting the game solves it.

Did you make a change in the python code during that game? That generally causes this kind of errors. Restarting the game solves it.

Nope, no code changes. I had just pulled a fresh Git copy. And the problem persisted after I closed the game (the exceptions wouldn't allow me to continue anyway) and restarted.

Although, maybe it's due to continuing a game that had been started before the latest Git changes

Why is Egypt's land excluded from founding Orthodoxy? There was a long Biblical tradition in that land, Septuaginta was compiled there, the very word Orthodoxy got defined thanks to the effort of Cyril of Alexandria. Even Jesus returned to Israel from Egypt after the death of baby killer Herod. And yet my Egypt discovered Ethics but no religion got founded :jesus:!

View attachment 485228

Got it too. Found the problem and made a PR.
(It is related to being in anarchy)

Last edited:
Why is Egypt's land excluded from founding Orthodoxy? There was a long Biblical tradition in that land, Septuaginta was compiled there, the very word Orthodoxy got defined thanks to the effort of Cyril of Alexandria. Even Jesus returned to Israel from Egypt after the death of baby killer Herod. And yet my Egypt discovered Ethics but no religion got founded :jesus:!

as the Orthodoxy can be founded on Persian Gulf coast, I agree :).

Civ4ScreenShot0141.JPG

How do human Byzantines suppose to score their 2nd UHV with a start like this? Do I have to declare war on fellow Romans, raze "wrong" Constantinopolis and found the right one on the spot? Or should this AI city be treated like Magdeburg which get razed when human Prussia spawns on Berlin tile? Both Prussian and Byzantines have UHVs which check their capital tile...

I only wish it could be possible to "move" Magdeburg to Berlin or this wrong Constantinople to the right spot instead of razing them. It is a nice feeling when you inherit something from previous AI civs, gives feeling of history, because obviously very few civs started to flourish on empty spot.

Oh and by the way Byzantines also start with extra Workers in 3000 BC start, just like it was the case with Japanese before they got fixed.

View attachment 485285

How do human Byzantines suppose to score their 2nd UHV with a start like this? Do I have to declare war on fellow Romans, raze "wrong" Constantinopolis and found the right one on the spot? Or should this AI city be treated like Magdeburg which get razed when human Prussia spawns on Berlin tile? Both Prussian and Byzantines have UHVs which check their capital tile...

I only wish it could be possible to "move" Magdeburg to Berlin or this wrong Constantinople to the right spot instead of razing them. It is a nice feeling when you inherit something from previous AI civs, gives feeling of history, because obviously very few civs started to flourish on empty spot.

Oh and by the way Byzantines also start with extra Workers in 3000 BC start, just like it was the case with Japanese before they got fixed.
Speaking of which, why do we require specific spots for UHVs anyways? Why not just say X Culture in First City by Y date for France's UHV?

Speaking of which, why do we require specific spots for UHVs anyways? Why not just say X Culture in First City by Y date for France's UHV?

Well, I kind of like it because it makes you to bring glory to the famous city in it's actual location.

Civ4ScreenShot0142.JPG

I hope this can be fixed before the v 1.5 release: AI Arabia gets no defenders after the flip in 600 AD scenario. Very silly situation which can be exploited by human Byzantium easily.

Well, I kind of like it because it makes you to bring glory to the famous city in it's actual location.
You don't need a UHV to tell you to found Paris. Why should we force players to settle cities in specific locations to be eligible to compete for the UHV? It makes no sense.

I don't see Rome's UHV telling you which cities in Iberia you have to control. We're not scripting the cities that the AI builds in Iberia because there would be more replayability, so why are we scripting Paris even though it outright reduces strategic variety and thus replayability?

Last edited:
Top Bottom