1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Oh. I didn't mean to imply that... Guess I could have worded my post better. Sorry.

2. IIHAAETTEAAHII

IIHAAETTEAAHII Warlord

Not sure this dynamic name is working as intended ;)

Attached Files:

ozqar, Leoreth and Orbii like this.
  3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

True, it should be Belgiums. Belgia?

4. Enyavar

Enyavar Prince

Well, Groningen isn't really in Belgium. In that period (1580!) the whole area was called Netherlands, the Southern part was the Spanish Netherlands, the North was the Republic of the Seven.

Belgium is only a thing after 1830.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quae incolunt Belgae?

6. IIHAAETTEAAHII

IIHAAETTEAAHII Warlord

'Republic of the Southern and Northern Netherlands' sounds cool to me. A Monarchy with capital in Belgium could be called Kingdom of Belgium, then.

True; it is Rotterdam which is my capital and the reason of the dynamic name, though. That said, considering the city is south of the Waal/Rhine and it apparently counts as in Belgium, that plot should be called Antwerpen; however, considering the new map is coming up, that'll probably solve some of the naming problems associated with the Benelux.

7. alexey795

alexey795 Chieftain

Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG Is this a fair deal?
    maybe yes.

Attached Files:

1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Depends, but I'll look into it.

9. Mxzs

Mxzs Prince

So I've been away from RFC-DoC for a year, but got the itch to play again, and have downloaded and am playing 1.15. It's nice to get back into DoC.

But I've run into the following behavior, and am not sure if it's a bug or a feature. (And if it's a feature, I don't know where I would have looked to find it explained, so apologies if this has already been explained and justified):

After your civilization builds a wonder, the culture it receives per turn drops at least 10% from what the game reports you are getting and what the game itself promises you will get for owning particular buildings and Wonders. Example:

You as Egypt build a city (with a palace) and earn 2 culture pts per turn. Later you build a temple and earn 3 culture pts per turn. So far all is going as the game documents it should. But then you build the Sphinx. This should add 4 culture pts per turn. (If that's the right number; I might be remembering wrong.) The game, both on the Culture slider of the main screen (once that slider has been added with tech) and in the city report screens will tell you that you are earning 7 culture pts per turn. But the next turn it will not give you 7 pts; it will give you 6.3 pts. If you then build the Pyramids (6 pts per turn, IIRC) you will not earn 13 points per turn, but 11.7. And so on for the rest of the game: The game will assure you that you are earning X culture points per turn, but actually you are only getting 0.9X.

That is for Egypt. For Babylon it is even worse -- play as them, and after you build a Wonder your culture per turn will only be 80% of what you are supposed to earn, and what you are being told you are earning. I haven't checked other civilizations to see what their numbers are.

Now, if there is some feature in DoC that nerfs culture per turn when Wonders are built, I guess that's okay. But it's an unpleasant surprise to notice that you're only getting 80% to 90% of what you are being told by the game itself that you are earning. It is no longer enough to glance at the Culture slider to see that you're earning (say) 64 pts per turn. You have to check your city stats on back-to-back turns to find out what you're really earning.

So is this a bug in Culture calculations? A bug in the screen reporting? Or an intended feature?

DarkLunaPhantom likes this.
  10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

As you may be aware, all civs have different modifiers that make them stronger or weaker in various aspects of the game. Most of them affect costs (for techs, units, buildings ...) but with culture they affect the output before being applied to your accumulated culture. This is to have this properly apply to cultural control percentages etc. and so that every civ has the same thresholds for culture levels.

I guess what you are observing is that this modifier is not properly surfaced in the interface. I have made a note to address that.

11. alexey795

alexey795 Chieftain

1st. I offer a horse, he refuses
    2nd. I ask for gold, he asks the horse and agrees
    there are two different decisions. logical conflict.

Attached Files:

DarkLunaPhantom and Leoreth like this.
  12. Mxzs

Mxzs Prince

Cool, I was 90% sure the underlying behavior was intentional, but didn't know if the "underreporting" was an avoidable or unavoidable corollary.

13. Enyavar

Enyavar Prince

You seem to have a point there, but...

First, that famous quote is pretty much a propaganda lie. C.I.Caesar describes a status-quo-ante that shows Gallia as a fractured native land which he single-handedly united under Roman Rule. It's pretty questionable whether the Gauls themselves would have agreed with this analysis. Unless you plan to include a Belgae spawn in 50 BC, that quote doesn't justify "Seven United Belgiums".

Second, before 1830, Belgium was simply a latin name that was in use to describe... the Netherlands! Really! For example, the Leo Belgicus encompasses all the Dutch countries.
    That article actually lists some pretty good alternative names, too.
    I like "Federated Belgium", if it's really necessary to have an alternate historic name for the Netherlands.

need my speed and ozqar like this.
  14. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Khosrau I is missing is missing diplo text when establishing contact.

15. Alexandre92

Alexandre92 Chieftain

Hello again,
    I've tried to play the GIT version, copied to the mods folder after installing v1.15 2016-10-05 (Maybe I shouldn't do that, and there is another right way to play the latest version with the VD and other modules). Here are some errors, I got during launching, and found while started playing:
    Pictures 1-3 - Errors during launching.
    Picture 4 - In the Espionage Advisor there is only one leader and when I'm pressing the button, that encreases or decreases espionage spendings, the error message (white text in top of the screen) appearing.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      302.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You cannot play the git version with Varietas Delectat. The only module I can guarantee will work is Blue Marble.

I usually bring the modules up to date with the main mod during a release. Once development picks up after that, the modules will increasingly become incompatible with git develop. We have reached this point with 1.16 already.

17. Alexandre92

Alexandre92 Chieftain

Ok, got it.
    May I have some more questions?
    The Polish capital city in the game is Krakow, but after they build it, there is no place for Warsaw (all Warsaw cells are side by side to Krakow). Could you do something with it?
    The Byzantine city Singidunon (in 600AD map they start with it) is standing right on the aluminium, and Neutral city Tisfun on the stones. I think it would be better to move resources or maybe cities to the neighboring cell.

18. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It's either Krakow or Warsaw for Poland, there is not enough space for them on the map.

19. Alexandre92

Alexandre92 Chieftain

Well, nowadays the capital and the largest city is Warsaw, maybe it should be their first city?

20. alexey795

alexey795 Chieftain

The city became the actual capital in 1596, when, after a fire at the Wawel Castle in Krakow, King Sigismund III transferred his residence here, while the capital status of the city was confirmed only in the 1791 Constitution.