Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Hi guys, sorry for bothering, but I got an error while launching the mod for the first time, it prompts an error saying the file can't be found (see attachment).
Then, when I click on the shortcut, it says "Civ4BeyondSword.exe has been moved or deleted", and so the shortcut don't do anything.

(I'm playing on the GoG latest version btw)

Attachments

• DoC.png
    DoC.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Where is your mod installed? It should go in /Beyond the Sword/Mods/. Also, how are you launching the mod? If it's via a link, can you check its properties to see where it points? What happens if you start the game by double clicking a scenario file in Private Maps?

I installed my mod in /Beyond the sword/Mods, and tried to launch it via the shortcut created when installing the mod, which points to C:\Civ4BeyondSword.exe mod=\RFC Dawn of Civilization. I tried launching it through the ingame menu, which took about 15 minutes, and the mod crashed while loading, prompting two new error windows (see attachment).
Nothing happened when I tried to double click a scenario file (just windows being like "what programs do you want to choose to open this file ?").
I enabled the Python exceptions as you advised to do in the main post of the thread, but it still crashed.

(oh and thanks for the quick reply)

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Bla.png
    Bla.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 186
I don't know how the GOG install works, but just C:\Civ4BeyondSword.exe looks wrong. Can you look up if Civ4 is in your Windows registry (in system properties -> installed software)? It looks like something went wrong with the installation.

The game is installed and fully playable, and is in Windows registry. GoG installed it in C:\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4.

Oh, so it is Civ4 Complete, without a separate Beyond the Sword directory? What happens if you edit the link to point to the accurate location of the BeyondtheSword.exe?

I tried it (first thing I did actually), but if I link it to the location of the right .exe, it just opens the file where it is located, and if I link it to the .exe itself, it launch the basic game.

Even if you keep the "mod=\RFC Dawn of Civilization" part?

Even if you keep the "mod=\RFC Dawn of Civilization" part?
Didn't though about that, but when I tried typing "C:\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword mod=\RFC Dawn of Civilization" or "C:\GOG Games\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe mod=\RFC Dawn of Civilization", it ended up prompting an error saying that either the name or the path is invalid.

City unrest from conquest always takes exactly two turns, regardless of the city's culture level. I tried my hand at fixing it and came up with the following, all in CvPlayer.cpp in the function "void CvPlayer::acquireCity":

1. "int iRange;" is currently commented out, add it back in.
  2. Between "if (bConquest) {" and "for (iI = 0; iI < pOldCity->getNextCoveredPlot(); iI++)" add "iRange = pOldCity->getCultureLevel();"
  3. Below the out-commented block of code for the old Babylonian UP replace "pNewCity->changeOccupationTimer((pNewCity->getCultureLevel() + 1) * (100 - iTeamCulturePercent) / 100);" with "pNewCity->changeOccupationTimer((iRange) * (100 - iTeamCulturePercent) / 100);"

In my tests occupation now actually takes a turn longer for each additional culture level as was intended except for some reason it's capped at five turns both for Influential and Legendary, but I figure that's good enough for tonight.

Edit: Btw, is it intentional that city occupation doesn't scale with game speed?

That makes sense, thanks. Surprised nobody has noticed it sooner. The occupation timer is deliberately capped at five turns. But I will also add scaling with game speed.

The occupation timer is deliberately capped at five turns.

Why does the Pedia Page for the Legendary culture level claim that it gives 6 turns of unrest on conquest then?

Anyway, while I'm here, have a few more bug reports:

When hovering over the Protestant cross in Academia in the tech tree no tooltip appears. For all other religious symbols in the tech tree a small tooltip tells you that being the first to discover the respective tech founds the religion.

Something is wrong with the Promotion Tree page in the Pedia, the Woodsman line is missing entirely and the Flanking line only starts with Flanking II.

The "Nobles from X family are angry with their inlaws from Y for marrying in a different faith" random event probably shouldn't happen with civs that aren't even supposed to have a nobility in the first place. I have seen it between Canada and America, with both civs being bona-fide liberal republics. I think the event only checks for state religion and no other factors.

And, finally, the Settings tab in the Victory Conditions screen has been missing for several real life years and development versions of DoC, making it a chore to try to figure out your difficulty level or the game speed in the middle of a game.

Edit: Oh wait, there's also some minor interface nuisances:

Yields from (Un)Happiness only seem to be applied one turn late, and the interface isn't at all clear about how it works either.

Air units that are able to bombard defenses should show the percentage in the tooltip also, not just in the pedia.

Why does the Pedia Page for the Legendary culture level claim that it gives 6 turns of unrest on conquest then?
Probably not factored in there, but on the other hand now that culture levels effectively cap the effect I can probably remove that extra limit.

Yields from (Un)Happiness only seem to be applied one turn late, and the interface isn't at all clear about how it works either.
You mean one turn late after adopting the civic? Or are they always one turn behind, every turn?

Which interface do you mean? The city interface?

You mean one turn late after adopting the civic? Or are they always one turn behind, every turn?

Which interface do you mean? The city interface?

Always one turn behind, every turn. If I have, say, only the one base hammer from the city and suddenly get two angry citizens under Totalitarianism then the city will still only have 1 production the first turn they appear, then starting from the following turn it will have 5 production per turn. If the two angry citizens then disappear again a few turns later production will go back to 1 per turn only a turn after they went away.

The tooltips you get when hovering over your production or one of the commerce types, telling you your base production/commerce and various modifiers. The extra production/commerce from Totalitarianism/Public Welfare is included in the base production/commerce instead of being listed separately, which generally makes it difficult to keep track of how much the extra (un)happiness actually benefits you. That's actually how I found out about the yields only being applied a turn late, because I noticed that a city that I had just conquered seemed to magically receive more production than it was supposed to out of thin air and I ran some tests until I found the cause.

Alright, thanks for investigating this.

Sorry, I must have accidentally pushed a debug DLL. Will fix next chance I get.

None of my six Middle East cities (Jerusalem, Trebizond, Konya, Tabriz, Baghdad, Damascus) fell to the Turks, yet Ottomans spawn next turn. Shiraz did, but that should be out of range.

EDIT: They didn't flip Konya, so I presume they actually spawned as a result of Byzantium collapsing in 1285 AD? Not sure, but it sure doesn't look like a normal spawn.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1280 Turn 384.CivBeyondSwordSave
    801.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I am not sure if I am still misunderstanding the Turks unique power, but I just tried rolling a couple games and the barbarians are definitely able to enter my borders even though I am not at war (unless being at war with the Natives minor civ counts, but then you're always at war). Even if the game does think that I am at war, the capture mechanic is not working either; if I attack, it goes to regular combat. Save attached.

Edit: I am on the latest version as of yesterday (recloned the repository due to git issues).

Attachments

• Alp Arslan AD-0690 Turn 190.CivBeyondSwordSave
    332.2 KB · Views: 184
Playing as Moors 600 AD and just noticed Italians are running Republics, but their name is Kingdom of Italy.
Italians were born after Byzantium has collapsed suddenly around 1200. Italians have just Rome and Naples (original Byzantium cities), but the north of Italy with Venezia is HRE, is that the reason? When I played Italians, the name was correct - Italian Maritime Republics.

Attachments

• Emperor Abd-ar-Rahman II. AD-1245 Turn 377.CivBeyondSwordSave
    760.6 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom