Bush disapproval rating hits new high

You just don't get what we're saying. No president may have been able to hold on to those ratings, but anyone should have been able to keep their approval rating from dropping 60 points.

OP gets the same reply as last time. I don't give a crap if he's doing what's popular, he's doing what's right.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot--the actual statistics show that George Bush Jr. is considered both the best AND the worst President ever. I am not making this up, he took both of those titles in actual, properly-certified polls.

Democracy would beg to differ? But then perhaps what is right isn't of a mind of what people want (or I suspect what most people even within the US think is right)

Gotta admire your sticking with the loser though. Even though the rats have long since fled, you're still there clinging to the top of the mast as your legs disappear under the water, fist clamped to your chest and bellowing The Star Spangled Banner. :D

Article said:
"He is more unpopular than Richard Nixon was just before he resigned from the presidency in August 1974."

:lol: Have to say, that's rather impressive. Sad, but impressive.

Bush isn't a bad president, only the events during his two terms have been less than favorable for his image. I have a good feeling the next president will be worse.

:shudder: If the next president is worse, heaven help us. I don't see how that could be a "good" feeling - even if we had a great president I don't see how that could be a good feeling.

OP gets the same reply as last time. I don't give a crap if he's doing what's popular, he's doing what's right.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot--the actual statistics show that George Bush Jr. is considered both the best AND the worst President ever. I am not making this up, he took both of those titles in actual, properly-certified polls.

:shudder: I could point to so many instances where what Dubya's done is not right. I'd probably start with all the instances where he's broken the Constitution. Not that other presidents haven't done similar things - I still think less of of Lincoln for his suspension of habeous corpus back in the day - but that doesn't make what Bush has done right.

he's made alot of mistakes, but he hasn't done anything to deserve the hatred directed towards him. No president can hold on to approval rating that high, because the public has a short memory. his dad had approval ratings around there after the Gulf War, but once that was over, his presidency was no longer sexy so he lost.

I don't know about that. If you think what he's done are not mistakes, then I can see why you'd say he doesn't deserve the hatred. But if we've got the same mistakes in mind (Iraq, economic policy - especially debt) - then I really don't see how you can say he doesn't deserve the hatred (whether you hate him for it or not). I mean - those things have some pretty long-term effects, and if they're messed up, the country can be messed up for a very long time.

I wouldn't say hate from myself - a bit strong and better to reserve for people whom you personally know deserve it. And I wouldn't say the country is hopeless because of Bush - he's just made it a lot harder for the future. And I'm not too confident that we'll get as good a leader as we need soon. Our political system doesn't exactly make it easy to get the great leader we need - by the end of a campaign almost everyone has become, even if they were not at first, just another politician willing to do nearly anything for more votes.

In case you couldn't tell, when it comes to politics, I'm a pessimist :).

One of my favorite quotes: "Every time I've seen this world changed, it's been for the worse." - Every Hammond, V for Vendetta. I wish it weren't so, but unfortunately this quote applies to me as well. Now you know why I'm a pessimist.

My major beef with Bush has been the inane things he does from time to time to pacify to right-wingers, like the gay marriage amendment, etc. I don't believe Iraq is the wrong thing, I believe the American people are tired of it, which puts me in a quandary, since I ardently believe in Democracy, but not the people themselves. As far as economics go, I'll admit I'm not sure what he's really done that was so bad. Unless he's done something to directly effect the economy I don't think its fair to blame him for it, no President has control over the economy without directly passing bills to that effect like the New Deal.

Top Bottom