C2C FAQs - Read This Before Posting

ls612

Deity
C2C FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)​

This is a one-stop thread for all of the most frequently asked questions related to C2C. This thread is designed to reduce the repetitive threads on the forums asking the same questions and discussing the same topics.

Q: Help, I can't install/extract the mod.

A: First, make sure that you have an up to date extraction utility. I personally recommend the most recent version of 7-zip. If that still doesn't allow extraction, your download is most likely corrupted, and you'll need to redownload. If you are having issue with the SVN version, please read the first post of the SVN thread (linked at the bottom of this post.)

Q: OMG, this mod has so much stuff, what exactly is in it?

A: Well, we do have lots of stuff. The mod is based off of AND 1.76, but with a new DLL containing many new features and performance enhancements. Content-wise, we have everything AND had, plus a lot more. Highlights include the Crime System, the Culture System, and the Prehistoric Era, including the Subdued Animals system. This is by no means exhaustive though, and we are adding new stuff every day.

Q: Wow, how can all of that possibly be balanced?

A: Well, it is an ongoing effort to keep things in a state resembling balance. We try our hardest to fix balance issues, and your input is appreciated. (See the links below.)

Q: I have found something unbalanced/I think that there is too much gold/I think there is too little gold. What should I do?

A: Post all of your balance issues on the C2C Balance Thread, where they can be discussed and addressed.

Q: Can I minimize the scoreboard, with so many civs it blocks my view?

A: Yes, you can. Click your civ's name on the list, and the scoreboard will be minimized. Click your civ's name again to maximize the board again.

Q: I've been noticing all sorts of graphics errors with units and terrain (units changing models, terrain being black or pink). What should I do?

A: These sorts of things are known to happen when the game graphics are set on 'low'. Try setting them on Medium and see if it stops, if it doesn't then post about it in the bugs/crashes thread.

Q: Can I change a game option in the middle of the game?

A: Yes you can. However, be very careful about doing this, as you can mess stuff up real good if you don't do it right. To do it see this post for instructions. Using the latest SVN (or V30 when it is released) you can also do it via the Worldbuilder.

Q: I had a crash! What should I do?

A: Post a report on the crash on the v# (whatever number we are on) Bugs/Crashes thread, with details as to what was happening at the time of the crash. Make sure you attach a minidump (found in the same folder as the BtS exe), and a savegame if the crash is repeatable. Post them in a zip file so that the forum will accept them.

Q: I saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad, what should I do?

A: First, make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibing the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.
Can people PLEASE turn on BBAI logging (BUG options, logging tab, set BBAI log level to 3) and post AI logs for most of this stuff (save games are good too, but it takes several hours to analyse what's happening in a save game and since I get several per day and don't have on average more than a couple of hours per day most can never get looked at)

Q: I can't find any logs, how do I get my logging to work?

A: In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
Code:
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0 

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1
You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

Q: How large are the map sizes?

A: Here is a list (measured in tiles);
Duel: 40 x 24
Tiny: 52 x 32
Small: 64 x 40
Standard: 84 x 52
Large: 104 x 64
Huge: 128 x 80
Giant: 160 x 100
Gigantic: 200 x 120
Enormous: 240 x 160
Immense: 300 x 200

Q: What is this I've been hearing about Multi-Maps? Does this mean I'll be able to play on earth and in space at the same time? How will you do this without exceeding memory limits?

A: Multi-Maps are going to be the crowning feature of C2C. They aren't in yet, but are under development. It does mean that you will be able to play on the Earth, Moon, Mars, Solar System, and Galactic maps all in the same game.

We are going to add a Viewports feature to fix the memory issues in large part.

Q: Viewports? What are those?

A: Version 25 now has viewports! A Viewport is a part of the map that the game engine sees, while the dll sees the entire map. This is done to reduce memory usage, which the game engine is horrible at. Using Viewports, you should never experience another MAF, as long as your machine is at least somewhat recent. To enable Viewports, go to Assets/XML/ParallelMaps_GlobalDefines.xml, and change the following define from 0 to 1. If you are using v26 or later, the Viewport options are now controlled in the General tab of the BUG options.

SVN Users: Viewports are no longer necessary! Koshling has fixed the root cause of highly excessive graphic memory usage, so you can now play even the largest maps without using Viewports. This will be generally available in V33 of the mod.

Q: When will you release Multi-Maps?

A: When they're done.

Also, before posting please look at some of the following threads, they have useful discussions/information for new players and posters.

Player's How To Documentation: A good resource for setting up C2C.
C2C Balance Thread: Please post all balance issues here, it makes things easier to track.
Viewports Thread: This thread explains Viewports in more detail, as well as giving setup info for them.
Bugs/Crashes forum: This is where you post all of your issues using C2C, NOT in the SVN thread.
C2C: SVN Discussion: This thread tells how to set up the SVN version of C2C (the modders/playtest version). It has the latest and greatest features, but can be at times quite buggy.

A color other than light blue. Dark Green maybe. I'm kind of having trouble reading it.

I'd go with "no".

I suppose you are using a theme with a dark background. Try setting your theme back to the default theme, Modern CFC, and take a look at what most people will see.

I'd go with "no".

I suppose you are using a theme with a dark background. Try setting your theme back to the default theme, Modern CFC, and take a look at what most people will see.

I have always used Modern CFC. What color do you think is better?

EDIT: Updated the OP to have the new bugs/crashes thread linked.

do this

Caveman2Cosmos Frequently Asked Questions

This is a one-stop thread for all of the most frequently asked questions related to C2C. This thread is designed to reduce the repetitive threads on the forums asking the same questions and discussing the same topics.

Q: OMG, this mod has so much stuff, what exactly is in it?

A: Well, we do have lots of stuff. The mod is based off of AND 1.76, but with a new DLL containing many new features and performance enhancements. Content-wise, we have everything AND had, plus a lot more. Highlights include the Crime System, the Culture System, and the Prehistoric Era, including the Subdued Animals system. This is by no means exhaustive though, and we are adding new stuff every day.

Q: Wow, how can all of that possibly be balanced?

A: Well, it is an ongoing effort to keep things in a state resembling balance. We try our hardest to fix balance issues, and your input is appreciated. (See the links below.)

Q: I have found something unbalanced/I think that there is too much gold/I think there is too little gold. What should I do?

A: Post all of your balance issues on the C2C Balance Thread, where they can be discussed and addressed.

Q: I had a crash! What should I do?
A: Post a report on the crash on the v# (whatever number we are on) Bugs/Crashes thread, with details as to what was happening at the time of the crash. Make sure you attach a minidump (found in the same folder as the BtS exe), and a savegame if the crash is repeatable. Post them in a zip file so that the forum will accept them.

Q: I saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad, what should I do?

A: First, make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibing the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

Q: What is this I've been hearing about Multi-Maps? Does this mean I'll be able to play on earth and in space at the same time? How will you do this without exceeding memory limits?

A: Multi-Maps are going to be the crowning feature of C2C. They aren't in yet, but are under development. It does mean that you will be able to play on the Earth, Moon, Mars, Solar System, and Galactic maps all in the same game.

We are going to add a Viewports feature to fix the memory issues in large part. This allows the main game engine to use less RAM, by only showing a part of the map at a time. You will be able to switch between viewports by going into the military advisor and clicking anywhere on the minimap.

Q: What are the features of C2C?
This list is incomplete, but a good source of features in C2C.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/caveman2cosmos/features/features-of-caveman2cosmos

Also, before posting please look at some of the following threads, they have useful discussions/information for new players and posters.

Player's How To Documentation: A good resource for setting up C2C.
C2C Balance Thread: Please post all balance issues here, it makes things easier to track.
V24 Bugs/Crashes Thread: All bugs/crashes go here, along with AI issues.
C2C: SVN Discussion: This thread tells how to set up the SVN version of C2C (the modders/playtest version). It has the latest and greatest features, but can be at times quite buggy.

NOTE: I am hoping this can be stickied, I'll pm a moderator about it if strategyonly has no issues with it.[/QUOTE]

There is a bug report on our bug tracker which is not a bug.

Problem: The scoreboard is in the way of units I want to select. See screen 1.

Solution: Click on your nation name will minimise the scoreboard list. Clicking on it again will maximise it. See screen 2 and 3.

Attachments

• Problem with score board 0.jpg
    Problem with score board 0.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 710
  • Problem with score board 1.jpg
    Problem with score board 1.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Problem with score board 2.jpg
    Problem with score board 2.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 544
If you look at the "ForKoshling/AIAndy" thread in bugs and crashes, SgtSlick at comment 17 indicates what your .ini file should look like in order for BBAI.log (among others) to work.

Per another discussion in that thread, enable rand event logging should probably be set at 0 unless your bugtesting multiplayer (per AIAndy), as it generates a rather sizable file, and on my machin wasn't overwriting it.

Top Bottom