C2C - Space Terrain

@Hydro/DH - how do you plan to have cities working on space maps? The relevant 'buildings' for such cities would be very terrain dependent. A 'city' in TERRAIN_SPACE (orbital community say) would have its own set of buildings (zero-G gymasium, special habitation blocks, orbital manufacturing facility...). One on an airless moon might have a different set again, on a terra-fromable planet another set, and so on.

We can use vicinity requirements to enable thsoe buildings appropriately, but how do you plan to PREVENT the building of most 'normal' buildings (regular housing for example)?

@Hydro/DH - how do you plan to have cities working on space maps? The relevant 'buildings' for such cities would be very terrain dependent. A 'city' in TERRAIN_SPACE (orbital community say) would have its own set of buildings (zero-G gymasium, special habitation blocks, orbital manufacturing facility...). One on an airless moon might have a different set again, on a terra-fromable planet another set, and so on.

We can use vicinity requirements to enable thsoe buildings appropriately, but how do you plan to PREVENT the building of most 'normal' buildings (regular housing for example)?

Expression system?

Yes, we could use that to control buildings in the Galactic Era. The code is already there.

Plausible, but my main point was that every (well most) EXISTING building will need re-tagging to PREVENT it being buildable.

Not if there was no way to auto-convert

Hmm, I did some looking and I'll bet that if AIAndy added a GOM_MAP with Multi-Maps, the code for earth buildings would look somewhat like

Code:
<ConstructCondition>
  <IntegrateOr>
    <RelationType>RELATION_ASSOCIATED</RelationType>
    <GameObjectType>GAMEOBJECT_MAP</GameObjectType>
    <Has>
      <GOMType>GOM_MAP</GOMType>
      <ID>MAP_EARTH</ID>
    </Has>
  </IntegrateOr>
</ConstructCondition>

GOM_MAP doesn't exist yet, but I'll bet he could make it when he gets back.

Hmm, I did some looking and I'll bet that if AIAndy added a GOM_MAP with Multi-Maps, the code for earth buildings would look somewhat like

Code:
<ConstructCondition>
  <IntegrateOr>
    <RelationType>RELATION_ASSOCIATED</RelationType>
    <GameObjectType>GAMEOBJECT_MAP</GameObjectType>
    <Has>
      <GOMType>GOM_MAP</GOMType>
      <ID>MAP_EARTH</ID>
    </Has>
  </IntegrateOr>
</ConstructCondition>

GOM_MAP doesn't exist yet, but I'll bet he could make it when he gets back.

Yup, that would certainly simplify things

Yup, that would certainly simplify things

It would only simplify things is that is the default for all buildings. Otherwise we will need to add that to every existing building. In which case I would suggest it be a tag instead.
Dang some buildings will be sensible on multiple maps - I doubt I would go anywhere there was not a coffee shop.:mischief:

I was thinking that the Nomad system could be used for this at first. Where you had psudo-cities that could can't build any units or building. You would have to send units to the city to build them (like how the myths work). Then as it can mature into a into normal city once you have sent enough modular buildings to the colony.

We also would still need to specify existing building requirements too. Hopefully Praetyre's dependency web can help out. Not only will it solve problems for Non-Earth cities but should also solve problems for post-apocalyptic cities which lack proper resources.

Once multi-maps are made I think we will need to change the code for the free building to every city to be "free building to every city on the map" and then make a new one that could potentially send a free building to every city on all maps. That way existing buildings will not say send free Fusion power buildings to their off word colonies.

Likewise resources should not be able to spread to other maps until a spaceport is built on that world to receive and trade resources. Likewise any resources on the non-earth maps cannot be sent back to earth either until the spaceport is made.

The Nomad code could be used for moving buildings, like ore harvesters, or floating sea colonies, orbiting space colonies, and generation space ships.

Ok so the moon and mars are the only planets that we gonna see the surface of? The rest will be done like the final frontier?

I would love to see Alpha Centuri. Dunno if you played the game but was a intresting concept.

I would love to see Alpha Centuri. Dunno if you played the game but was a intresting concept.

There are 2 SMAC based BtS Mods available; Planetfall and Conflict on Chiron. Planetfall was the 1st by maniac. And Conflict on Chiron is based off of Planetfall.

There are a lot of SMAC and Crossfire players on these boards.

JosEPh ;)

Top Bottom