C2C - Units

I'm sceptical by nature and until I see evidence that these exist, I remain sceptical ;) As far as I know, they are only theorized because certain equations from Einstein's Theory would allow those. But that is for me like saying "If a Bus has 2 people in it and 5 leave it at the next station, then you must get 3 people in to make it empty." While this is true mathematically, it has nothing to do with the real world. But yeah, we all decide what we want to believe in and as long as you don't want to force your belief on others, I'm fine with that. And it also is interesting game-wise. I just read the quote
"When a scientist says something is possible, they're probably underestimating how long it will take. But if they say it's impossible, they're probably
wrong."

It's true we never experienced negative gravitational force, but if you just inverse it, it will still be very tiny. Better to inverse electromagnetic force then. On the other hand, it's hard for me to understand how such a tiny force can form a planet with such a dense core - let alone neutron stars or even black holes :crazyeye:

how such a tiny force can form a planet with such a dense core - let alone neutron stars or even black holes
It takes a huge amount of mass. And even then, with gravity being so weak, the gas / dust cloud compacting has to be cold - as in, really cold. The slightest bit of thermal energy and it won't happen. IIRC the dust in the cloud serves as seeds, so you get several stars out of a cloud. The primordial clouds had no dust, so no seeds, and the resulting star was huge (Population III stars, please note that this is still hypothetical, but well founded by established science) and short-living.

It's true it would have a lot to do with the amount of mass. And gravity isn't actually weak, it's just that its strength is very dependent on the mass of the object. It can grow to be the most powerful known force in the universe, as in what you have in a Black Hole. Furthermore, with gravity field manipulation techniques, it's quite possible to consider that gravity could be artificially generated in pockets as if there were far more mass in that section of space than what actually exists. If you were to invert the gravity of the mass involved in a planetary body, you would shatter the planet, disperse all its atmosphere, send stones and water out in a spray, particularly if you were to add a vibratory energy through that weapon as well, to help break up the planetary body.

If you were to inverse electromagnetic force, that would probably be pretty powerful as well, but perhaps that would be even harder to achieve... hard to say so we can only theorize. But it certainly would atomize (and more) whatever such a weapon strikes. Perhaps that would be the ground basis for Disintegration?

Gravity can be considered weak for technological purposes. Just because it's possible to do something doesn't make it practical. A weapon that uses gravity beams to destablize a planet might have to be the size of the Moon. A much more plausible use of the 4 universe forces might be Asteroid Terrorism. It won't take a lot of energy to change an near Earth (or Mars) asteroid into a more immediate threat.

Do share!

FYI...
Including the Tech Chart for Space Empires V (or rather from the mod used more often than the base game). It doesn't work like a tree, but rather each field has multiple levels and new fields open up at certain levels. Certain items require various levels in multiple fields (usually no more than 2 fields). It's not that hard to figure out once you read the key at the top.

I'm not sure how many c2c space 'buildings' you would get from this as SEV is much more rudimentary in the economics (basically you build facilities on planets (larger planets = more facilities), that generate one of the following: Research, Intelligence/Espionage, Minerals, Radioactives, Organics, Ship Supplies (i.e. fuels, food, ordinance), and construction yards. There are some specialty buildings including enhancers (e.g. mineral scanners), Fleet Academies, Planetary shielding and at the high end specialty shields that protect the planet and even the star from planet/start destruction. There are also some based on unique racial or ancient/found tech.

Most of the rest of the Tech results are ship components or universal achievements that provide empire wide passive benefits. I generally don't see the components being helpful at least until equipment option is done.
Still there might be something that triggers ideas for those working on space travel. As a note SEV works on the wormhole/chain linked interstellar travel method. At higher techs wormholes can be opened/created or closed.

If someone wants a particular item description I'll see if I can dig it up. I tried the wiki and can't seem to find a universal list.

Attachments

• Kwok's Balance Mod v120+ Tech Chart.pdf
    531.1 KB · Views: 247
Awesome! This will be helpful to review. Thanks!
Gravity can be considered weak for technological purposes. Just because it's possible to do something doesn't make it practical. A weapon that uses gravity beams to destablize a planet might have to be the size of the Moon. A much more plausible use of the 4 universe forces might be Asteroid Terrorism. It won't take a lot of energy to change an near Earth (or Mars) asteroid into a more immediate threat.
As Taxman's list reminds me, shielding may be one reason that new ways to destroy would need to be invented, ways that may not seem to be the easiest nor most efficient, but ones that may be capable of getting through existing defenses. I agree that simply hurling an asteroid at a planet would be simpler and more effective IF that planet doesn't have an effective defense against such a strategy.

Deflecting an incoming asteroid with a laser is actually a quite "simple" and effective way. The laser evaporates the surface, thus creating a "rocket motor" that can slow the asteroid down by a few meters per second. Giving the long timespans it requires for an asteroid to reach earth (if seen early enough), this would be sufficient to dodge it.

Forgive my speciesism, but I agree with Faustmouse's approach. Planetary Shielding would not be a contemporary technology for the onset of this problem. Asteroid hunting and tracking seems to be the best counter measure. Near Earth Object Survey and an Asteroid Belt Survey could be used to increase defenses. The wouldn't be much of a different of the hostile and defensive technologies, and these projects would favor the later.

I understand the arguments and largely agree but to get into such details is kinda missing the point, which is that a solution that is not the most apparently convenient one may be the more advanced and may be, although seeming not as effective, much moreso than a predecessor solution, due to its unique ability to get around concurrently deployed defense mechanisms.

Some reasons why the Polynesian Catamaran UU should be able to enter the ocean like it use to be able to.
There's no fairness to having one unit, granted by one culture, be the ultimate key to being able to circumnavigate the map for whatever civilization gets that culture first.

However, it's on my task list for this version to get the seaworthiness modification done so that it CAN be made the most seaworthy of all early vessels and very capable of distant island hopping. I want it to be accurate too...just not a deuce ex machina solution to the first to circumnavigate bonus.

Because of the introduction of Sea terrain I am finding circumnavigation usually happens before the Classical Era now.
Once Seafaring is researched then Galleys, War Galleys, and Outriggers may find paths that allow this to happen. Really depends on map type and landmasses in the map.

Because of the introduction of Sea terrain I am finding circumnavigation usually happens before the Classical Era now.
True, but that's still not a reason to have one civilization only, due to a set of very difficult factors to be lucky enough to have achieved, be given the keys to this achievement in the late Prehistoric.

Criminals, as a whole, are now set to be upgradeable anywhere (with the exception of if they are in an opponent city... you have to move them out to upgrade them.)
Can't upgrade.

1. Bandit's hideout is built.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

2. Exile is on neutral territory.
Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

3. C2C build 9624.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

UPD.
4. Thief can be built.
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Last edited:
Looked in the unit xml, and exile is not set to be upgradeable anywhere, might be an oversight, easy to fix though.
Ok... yeah, I'll fix that. However, you can't upgrade in a rival city even if you can upgrade anywhere. But yeah, I'll fix the Exile unless you wanna correct that before I can.

Ok... yeah, I'll fix that. However, you can't upgrade in a rival city even if you can upgrade anywhere. But yeah, I'll fix the Exile unless you wanna correct that before I can.
I'd rather it not be upgraded, at the very least, to the bandit line. Maybe ambushers or something.

Oh well, was hoping the Exile was a dead end unit. :p

Top Bottom