Can anyone recommend unnofficial add-on/light mods?

ringwraith18

Chieftain
As the title. I've tried Revolutions before but the barbarian events ruined it. I've also tried Vincente's mod, which I did enjoy, but it changed too much for me. So I'm looking for a mod that changes things up a bit without changing the gameplay basics of Civ IV.

Peace.

Bug/Bull mods don't change the game but do improve the UI. Bat mod includes Bug/Bull + adds graphic improvement and gives the game a new feel. I highly recommend Bat.

seconded

BAT is your mod

Note that there is a Better BAT AI mod and some little extra packs for the base mod that add a little bit. Otherwise BAT is unaltered gameplay.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-bts-unaltered-gameplay-bug-bat-and-bull.268/

If you want to participate in Hall of Fame (HOF) and Game of the Month (GOTM) games on the forum, you might want to install BUFFY which is bug+bull+hof mod.

Only other mod pack I think that comes close to maybe what you want is KMod. It does not really add anything to the game, but changes up some mechanics. AI is a bit smarter and the game overall tends to be harder relative to difficulty as the AI is more aggressive. It includes bits of BUG improvements to.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ-4-k-mod-far-beyond-the-sword.470/

You can install all these mods and just try them out and see what you like. At minimum, BAT or BUG/BULL will at least make very nice UI additions to the game that makes the overall experience better for you.

Oh, and you can find Blue Marble in the BUG/BAT link as well. Blue Marble simply improves graphics and you can change colors of the UI, which is nice. BAT includes it already, but you simply install Blue Marble and just have it there permanently..it conflicts with nothing.

Last edited:
Lymond, I love you. :love:

back at ya :D

I already had the BUG mod installed since it's pretty much mandatory. Playing around with A New Dawn but I'm not sure if I like it yet. It seems like the starting terrain has such a big impact on your gameplay, yet on the other hand you start the game without being able to see the agricultural resources that are so essential to your early growth, and that really bugs me.

You might want to try my mod, History Rewritten (link in my signature). It adds/expands/improves content and mechanics, but not to the extremes of C2C or A New Dawn. If it's still too many changes for you, then I would also recommend BAT and K-Mod (included in History Rewritten).

So it souinds to me like you want more stuff, but not too much stuff. There are a lot of modpacks that add considerably to the game, sometimes to the very extreme like C2C. (

So try Xyth's mod...haven't myself, or you might try the Realism Invictus, one of the oldest big mods for the game that is still very active an the original modder still updates it. RI adds/changes quite a bit to the game, but I think it is reasonably done. Note, that some resources are still revealed by certain techs, but most of those techs come very early, and resources like wheat, corn, pigs, cows, horses, seafood are revealed from the start. Idea behind RI is to add a bit of historical accuracy and concept to the game.

Note: A lot of the big modpacks have the hidden resource thing in the game, and I do think some take it to the extreme. But keep in mind that a lot of them have borrowed assets and concepts from each other.

I can't think of a mod that adds just a little bit to the game from an altered gameplay perspective, which it seems you want. But I think RI may be the closest thing to it. I thought one the principal ideas behind Legends of the Revolution, if I recall, was to "enhance" the game without going overboard with changes. Haven not played it in years so don't quite remember, but sounds like you already tried that mod - did you look closely at the LoR forum to see if some features could be deactivated. I think the revolt stuff comes from Revolutions DCM and that feature can usually be adjusted in the game options. Same with some other mods. And events you should be able to disable in custom game or scenario setup.

Others I've tried that may be an option are Quot Capita (which now I think it is being kept active/updated in a new iteration called Quot Capita: Majestic). It's a pretty big mod. Another you might like to try is Rhye's and Fall of Civilization (RFC). It's one of the most classic modpacks for Civ IV and is actually delivered as custom content with base BTS. However, much work as been done since and you should try the modmods like RFC: Dawn of Civilization, which is really the goto version of RFC now.

The deal with RFC is it adds very little from a base game perspective - like new units, buildings and stuff, no hidden resource junk. It's more of a history simulator played on a custom scripted world map. The big thing is the Unique Historical Victory conditions and event driven scripted map. They are actually quite fun and allow you to play some rather shorter games with some ancient civs like Egypt or Babylon or longer games with others. Civs spawn the map at or around there historical dates. Like Egypt, Babylon, China, and India are present at the 3000BC start, then civs like Greece, Rome, Persia spawn some years later in the late BCs. and so on.

Last edited:
Hey I broke down and actually downloaded the bat 4.1 mod and used it.

Quite impressed. I got a kick out all the little details, like the female great people.
Well done to all the people that worked on it.

Hey I broke down and actually downloaded the bat 4.1 mod and used it.

Quite impressed. I got a kick out all the little details, like the female great people.
Well done to all the people that worked on it.
[Curtsies]

We're glad that you enjoyed it. :)

I was always a hold out since I played so much MP and we all had use the same thing. But now that I'm playing less MP, I thought I'd try it.

At first you almost feel like it's cheating but then remember that if you weren't so lazy it's all already there. It's funny because you see all the messages and start to feel guilty thinking you should be micro managing more. (and what's really necessary at the top level)

My favorites are the worker management. and the diplo markers. Saves soo much time.

I hit a wall and started feeling the game was getting stale. After installing BAT4.1 more than a year ago I felt new life breathed into the game. My thanks to Lemon Merchant and others for putting it together.

I hit a wall and started feeling the game was getting stale. After installing BAT4.1 more than a year ago I felt new life breathed into the game. My thanks to Lemon Merchant and others for putting it together.
If you like a little bit smarter AI with your game, I have also made the Better BAT AI mod. It's the same as the Better AI mod, but has the BAT engine and graphics in it. I currently have it updated to be the same mod version as BAT 4.1.

Try it. You might like it as well. :)

I wish I had known that, I would have done that one instead. ;) Well something to do this long weekend.
It's like the R&R mod for colonization. The modders do so much for our game enjoyment, that I'm always impressed with their efforts, and greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again to all that do the hard work.

Top Bottom