Can Infantries protect me from Rifles + Artilleries?

Sidney Magal

Latin Lover
This is a situation I may have to face in the Barb Monty RPC I'm playing. The Vikings have rifles and are currently researching physics. I bet that, right after it, they'll go to artillery and attack me. They have been preparing for war for quite some time now. Are 5xp aggressive infantries capable of holding them artilleries? I usually try to stay the heck out of these wars, but I think there's nothing I can do.

AN human can eat aggressive infantry with rifle + aircraft and even more easily with rifle + artillery.

Since it's an AI, you stand a chance, but I would suggest to keep a lot of infantry or cavalry to attack the SoD and avoid collateral damage. (yes, cav don't flank artillery but can destroy rifle SoD). Machine gun is another way ; since they does not take collateral damage, you can stockpilemachine gun in front city. If so, keep some infantry behind, so they can go and destroy weakened unit after theirs attack, or simply retake your city in case of emergency.

I agree with the Machine Gun suggestion. If you have the time and production capacity to do so, crank out a bunch of MG's. In addition to being exempt from siege units' collateral damage (but not bomber collateral damage), MGs' also get 50% bonus against gunpowder units meaning they'll eat Riflemen for breakfast, especially with multiple Drill promo's.

If the AI attacks and your stacks contain MG's and Infantry promoted with a good mix of promotions (Pinch, Charge and tile defense) the best defender selection will always draw a mismatch (in your favor), until or unless you are overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

>>Are 5xp aggressive infantries capable of holding them artilleries?
Protective would have been better esp. if you can make it 10... or 8 w/ Churchill
---
if you can have the initiative and attack in your lands you'd be fine.

Four machine gun will hold a looot of infantry. But of course he will bring more then a lot, so you'll need infantry too. There was a thread here a little time ago where people was saying that protective machine guns were unbeatable until mariners. Of course, you are not protective, but that still shows how strong they are...

About collateral damage, they change the focus from unit quality to until quantity, IMO. I think this is exactly why they are in the game, in fact. So, apart from the machine gun trick, what you should think is: yes, infantry can and will hold against rifleman and artillery. But you need a good number...

Infantry can hold against Arty/Rifle, but only if you counterattack. You will need lots of infantry for this - Ragnar builds big stacks, but once they are gone you can march into his territory and win the war.

Yep, just make sure you're on the offensive so you avoid collateral damage. They'll be moving at 1 tile a turn through your territory, so this shouldn't be difficult at all.

Everyone's pretty much covered the best of these ideas. Maybe one more: bribe someone into war against him ASAP. Let him waste his time moving in against someone else. Of course, this one is more situational, but if it's possible it'll work nicely.

You will need lots of infantry for this - Ragnar builds big stacks, but once they are gone you can march into his territory and win the war.

I would just point that, at least in my opinion - usually playing Immortal -, it's not really one big stack and then he is gone, most of the time. The AI usually manages to get a second stack after the first one falls. It won't be as strong as the first, but do not underestimate it. If you just barely dealt with the first, you may be in trouble. But if you destroyed the first one with few losses, then yes, you are probably ready the finish him up...

I would just point that, at least in my opinion - usually playing Immortal -, it's not really one big stack and then he is gone, most of the time. The AI usually manages to get a second stack after the first one falls. It won't be as strong as the first, but do not underestimate it. If you just barely dealt with the first, you may be in trouble. But if you destroyed the first one with few losses, then yes, you are probably ready the finish him up...

I'm not an immortal player, but on lower levels (Monarch+) I have fought Ragnar and lost to some almighty stacks. However on some occasions I have managed to beat them off and then his forces were relative weak by comparison - it takes time for him to build the big stacks, and while I agree you shouldn't get overconfident, giving him time to rebuild can also be a mistake.

This comment was specific to this AI as I have rarely seen stacks so big deployed by other leaders.

I'm not an immortal player, but on lower levels (Monarch+) I have fought Ragnar and lost to some almighty stacks. However on some occasions I have managed to beat them off and then his forces were relative weak by comparison - it takes time for him to build the big stacks, and while I agree you shouldn't get overconfident, giving him time to rebuild can also be a mistake.

This comment was specific to this AI as I have rarely seen stacks so big deployed by other leaders.

Agreed! In my experience Ragnar is the worst when it comes to big stacks... I recently was in a war with him and getting ready to deal with a big pile of units that I thought was his SoD. He had been in war with Elizabeth too, and made peace when I attacked him. Well, a few turns later, I am presented to his real SoD! Three times as big as the first, that I tought was the main one.

That's what motivated my previous post, mainly. But in my games, other AI's (even not especially warmongering ones - like, say, Victoria) are also capable of setting up at least a second stack after I destroy the main one. It's this aspect that I would not underestimate. You deal with the main stack with little losses? Ok, you are ready to conquer. But if you had considerable losses, watch out for the second, and maybe third stack. After that point, then I'd be reassured they'd stay inside their walls and mostly defend.

You have to attack units capable of causing collateral damage before they can get the chance. Collateral damage is cruise control to victory.

nothing can protect you from the nefarious AI or cheaters on Multi player like the sound advice of Attacko's Guides.

unless you like to reload -then read others.

Top Bottom