Can you admit you are wrong in public?

I have a few times, I can't remember where. I do remember a compromise with Bill not too long ago, but I can't think of any examples of "Okay I'm wrong", although I'm sure they happened. Nobody is always right and those that think they do have a complex.

Vary rarely do I admit that I am wrong.

Well, I'm not sure where this thread went in the last ten posts, but back on topic...
I agree, admitting that at least part of your argument is wrong is a good tactic. It allows you to reposition your point to reach a consensus.

Also admitting that you are wrong is vital otherwise you could sound unreasonable which is way worse than just being wrong and admitting.

I learned this tactic by playing poker.
I'm curious as to how... Knowing when to fold sort of thing?

admitting your wrong is for losers, winners convince the other person he's wrong. why admit your wrong? you must be ******ed to do that

j/k

I admit my mistake always.Somewhere you see the proofs.

Well, I'm not sure where this thread went in the last ten posts, but back on topic...I'm curious as to how... Knowing when to fold sort of thing?

Yes, exactly. When you accept your mistake is like folding in Poker.
Just like some hands, you have to give up some arguments.

I don't know that I'd say I was wrong, as many are perspectives... but I have not communicated well enough to contradict myself, lol.

It seems that internet forums are not viewed as public places for majority of the posters, or that they at least have final veto over anything which makes them right anyway :mischief:

I even have trouble admitting that I am wrong, to myself. I don't think i ever have here, and rarely in real life.

Cognitive dissonance, what a concept. Apart from Eran, it seems to be pretty rare around here according to self-report ... hmmm ... :mischief:

Looks like I get to be first to link, as requested in the OP, to a post where I admit I was wrong:

OOPS
Oh, well, if we're going to be serious, I am often wrong, and don't mind admitting it. It's the best way to learn. IIRC I admitted a mistake here just a few hours ago, and expect to make more mistakes soon.

It's actually a measure of self-confidence. When you get to the point where you can say to yourself: "I make mistakes; I will try to learn from them," you have made a major step forward. Being wrong doesn't make you bad or stupid, it makes you human. Being able to admit you're wrong makes you mature. Lots of people never get to that point. Try it, you'll like it.

I have the uncanny ability to turn "outright wrongness" (on the rare occasion it might occur) into mere "quasi-inaccurateness, from a certain point of view". But should my statement(s) be wrong due to being misinformed, I fully acknowledge it and graciously upgrade my knowledge immediately. I enjoy taking part in discussions on things I have little knowledge about - it can be a great way to learn. You put forth a notion that you have... it gets shot down out of the sky without mercy... then you learn and are all the better for it.

Top Bottom