• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Yes, "Collector" seems like the likeliest agenda to me, but I actually am vibing a reverse Pedro: Kristina admires Civs that recruit many Great People and hates people that disregard them. (it would synergize well with their Civ5 abilities, at least :p)

I was thinking her agenda might be tied to accumulating great works from Great People, or other means, to differentiate her from Pedro, however that would be what I wanted for Ashurbanipal for Assyria.
As for accumulating science Seondeok already has that so, maybe a mixture of earning a lot of both culture and science would be a good agenda for her instead.
Her agenda could be liking people who collect great works of art and disliking those who don't.

Edit: I just realised you said the same thing. It's time for bed.

Yes, "Collector" seems like the likeliest agenda to me, but I actually am vibing a reverse Pedro: Kristina admires Civs that recruit many Great People and hates people that disregard them. (it would synergize well with their Civ5 abilities, at least :p)
I like that idea. Then Ashurbanipal can get the "Collector" agenda in the next expansion disliking Civs who collect more great works than him. :D

Seriously, though, any time you fly into an even decent-sized American airport, the first things you can spot upon your decent are the baseball diamonds. I've never flown into Canada (only driven in) so I can't say about the hockey rinks, which are probably largely indoors now anyway, but even as an American minor-fan of Hockey, I get a kick out of seeing an open-air hockey rink whenever I do. They signal a sense of community gathering in the cold for crazy revelry. So I'm sorry if some people feel that they are stereotypical but they are beautiful to me and feel distinctly Canadian as well.

I get a kick out of seeing an open-air hockey rink whenever I do.
Now that I think about it, I don't think there are any really professional ice arenas (like, hockey team rinks) outdoors. It wouldn't be usable in the summer, and it's warmer in a hockey rink in the winter than the outside.

(Speaking from experience, maintaining an outdoor rink is a huge pain.) It gets plenty warm in the summer, even in the 'Last Best West'!

I think Ron MacLean was correct when he said "if you want to show someone what Canada is, you take him to the television on Saturday night for Hockey Night in Canada, and it becomes crystal clear".

Ron MacLean is the host of Hockey Night of Canada and therefore has a vested interest in blowing hot wind about his own show, but I'm personally shocked that anybody could hear that tripe and not fall off the chair laughing.

Now that I think about it, I don't think there are any really professional ice arenas (like, hockey team rinks) outdoors. It wouldn't be usable in the summer, and it's warmer in a hockey rink in the winter than the outside.

Yeah, but they do the Winter Classic in Yankee Stadium (right by where I live in Harlem) and when I visit my family in Crested Butte, CO, there's an open-air rink there that the town goes crazy for. I just have an emotional attachment to them.

(Edit: not the Winter Classic, but the Yankee Stadium has been home to outdoor hockey games. Which, along with hosting my NYCFC, helps to alleviate the taint of my hatred for the Yankees.)

(Speaking from experience, maintaining an outdoor rink is a huge pain.) It gets plenty warm in the summer, even in the 'Last Best West'!

Unlike other sports *cough*baseball*cough*, professional hockey likes things controlled in terms of rules, so yeah, there's no permanent outdoor rinks. Never mind the fact that weather is too variable, you can't have an outdoor rink for most of the hockey season anywhere, since it's either going to be too warm or too cold to maintain. Yes, they do a handful of outdoor games a year, and they've even hosted outdoor games in LA, but for a one-time thing, you just put a ton of money on cooling the ice that they can maintain it.

Now, smaller towns will setup outdoor rinks that people can play shinny on, so it's not totally unrepresentative to have an open arena like they show. They wouldn't usually have that many stands around them for a small outdoor arena, but yeah, artistic license since otherwise they usually just look like a big box building, so don't really look good on a map.

Trying to work out how Canada will not suck. They are a late game civ with no bonuses to actually get to the late game other than the surprise war thing, which hurts them as well.

About farming tundra, tundra in Civ6 isn't really tundra. By definition tundra IRL doesn't have trees, if it has trees it's called taiga. Tundra IRL is pretty much the equivalent of snow in Civ6, no trees, no significant amounts of food. Civ6 tundra is more equivalent to taiga and plains areas that have a shorter growing season due to longer winters. In the end there are many different terrain types IRL, and Civ only has a few.

About farming tundra, tundra in Civ6 isn't really tundra. By definition tundra IRL doesn't have trees, if it has trees it's called taiga. Tundra IRL is pretty much the equivalent of snow in Civ6, no trees, no significant amounts of food. Civ6 tundra is more equivalent to taiga and plains areas that have a shorter growing season due to longer winters. In the end there are many different terrain types IRL, and Civ only has a few.
This is all true, but taiga isn't much better for farming than tundra...

I am a baseball fan, though I can see how people think it is boring (nobody's ever accused me of being exciting). But it is absolutely ingrained in the culture, national unity, even the language so much that we usually don't even notice. It would probably make it difficult for non-speakers though. "Ballpark Figure." "Cover your bases." "You threw me a curveball there." "Rain check." Etc. I'd hate to be an outsider and have someone throw me one of these "out of left field."

Baseball does spread and strengthen culture (or at least did). You can see that in Japan and Korea, or the Caribbean or South America where Americans spent time and brought their game with them. It happens with hockey too. I'm not sure they knocked it out of the park with that choice, but it wasn't the whiff that people are saying it was either.
Baseball is even popular in Canada.

Look at the size of the Toronto Blue Jays fandom! All of Canada is within the Blue Jays' blackout zone.

Of all baseball teams with subreddits, the Toronto Blue Jays has the second-largest behind the Boston Red Sox.

Yes, I'm a huge Toronto Blue Jays fan.

Yeah, but they do the Winter Classic in Yankee Stadium (right by where I live in Harlem) and when I visit my family in Crested Butte, CO, there's an open-air rink there that the town goes crazy for. I just have an emotional attachment to them.

(Edit: not the Winter Classic, but the Yankee Stadium has been home to outdoor hockey games. Which, along with hosting my NYCFC, helps to alleviate the taint of my hatred for the Yankees.)

Actually, the NHL (National Hockey League) has 2 outdoor games a year, the Winter Classic and the Stadium Series. Sometimes even a 3rd one, The Heritage Classic, which is a Canadian teams only game.

These outdoor games have been played all over Canada and the USA, going as far a having one in LA and one in Santa Clara !!! Talk about engineering complexity ;-)

But in the end, no, there aren't any permanent outdoor rinks for professional hockey... Just a LOT of small Canadian town outdoor rinks for the winter season

Baseball is even popular in Canada.

Look at the size of the Toronto Blue Jays fandom! All of Canada is within the Blue Jays' blackout zone.

Of all baseball teams with subreddits, the Toronto Blue Jays has the second-largest behind the Boston Red Sox.

Yes, I'm a huge Toronto Blue Jays fan.

Plus, the Rays are moving to Montreal very soon :cool: It WOULD be good to have the expos back, they should have never left...

Top Bottom