• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Reminds me of the drunk CivII military advisor
Ah, the days when the ESRB was less sensitive about that kind of thing. :p Actually, the ratings of 90s and 00s games can be pretty astonishing: Morrowind got by with a brothel, alcohol, drugs, smoking, and an astonishing amount of (low-res) gore in a T game. :eek: That The Sims franchise is still rated T never ceases to amaze me; the only logical conclusion is that EA is bribing the ESRB. :mischief:

I also wonder how the fact that you don't have to worry about faith and still get all those National Parks will play into Canada
Barely. Your comment made me realize that in the past few games I always had enough faith for at least one Naturalist, while not having a single religious district in my borders. Faith...finds its way.

Barely. Your comment made me realize that in the past few games I always had enough faith for at least one Naturalist, while not having a single religious district in my borders. Faith...finds its way.

For me it is almost always due to Triangular Trade.

That would be entertaining though. Maybe next Civ game can be rated T?

Which is amazing considering city razing is a thing. Not to mention killing units in general. But I guess as long as you don't see it, it didn't actually happen. :)

Ahh, the palace. I really miss getting to add to my ever-improving palace throughout the game. But I miss the HOF and map replay more. Now that the HOF is coming, I'll agitate for adding the map replay next....

On topic, thanks for all the Canadian history lessons, everyone! :goodjob:
Nah, Palace>Map

PET would have been an horrible choice, because he is deeply hated but a large portion of french Quebecers... He's the one who activated the war measure act in 1970 and sent the army in the street on Montreal to contain the 'french separatist danger'... and had
hundreds of people arrested for having 'ties to a revolutionary group' without having to prove anything on them.

That plus the fact that his son is PM now made it a no-go !

Ah, the days when the ESRB was less sensitive about that kind of thing. :p Actually, the ratings of 90s and 00s games can be pretty astonishing: Morrowind got by with a brothel, alcohol, drugs, smoking, and an astonishing amount of (low-res) gore in a T game. :eek: That The Sims franchise is still rated T never ceases to amaze me; the only logical conclusion is that EA is bribing the ESRB. :mischief:
...oh, and Kirby's Dream Land 3 had a giant floating eye monster that spews blood. It was given a K-A rating (predecessor to the E rating).

Let's also mention StarCraft and StarCraft II both having the Teen rating, despite blood and mutilations galore (and Sarah Kerrigan)!

they just outsource the adult stuff toward the modder
any "adult stuff" they introduced is being modified like Deadpool 2 in Once Upon a Deadpool

they just outsource the adult stuff toward the modder
It has euphemistically labeled sex and alcohol, no mods necessary. :p City Living adds hookah smoking to that. Also 80% of the female clothing consists of mini skirts and tops with bellybutton revealing necklines. :rolleyes: I repeat: that The Sims is not rated M is baffling. Do euphemisms really change the rating?

It has euphemistically labeled sex and alcohol, no mods necessary. :p City Living adds hookah smoking to that. Also 80% of the female clothing consists of mini skirts and tops with bellybutton revealing necklines. :rolleyes: I repeat: that The Sims is not rated M is baffling. Do euphemisms really change the rating?

Yes. People get a lot less up in arms over 'making a beast with two backs' than they would over just saying sex.

Of course that's more older generations and the cultural norms are shifting, but that's another discussion

A bit late replying to the compaints about RCMP bearing rifles ... but they did, and still do.
Here's a good old picture from their predecessor the NWMP.

and accompanying article
http://antiquearmsinc.com/wincheste...t-mounted-police-rcmp-legion-frontiersmen.htm

Yes, they were originally organized as a cavalry unit, and then later assigned policing duties.

The point was more that part of why they became famous was their penchant for policing unarmed. That was always more of a cultural meme than reality, but it wasn't completed divorced from reality, either. The early Mounties earned a reputation for bravery and fairness by walking unarmed into volatile situations and getting them sorted out without resorting to violence.

Yes, they were originally organized as a cavalry unit, and then later assigned policing duties.

The point was more that part of why they became famous was their penchant for policing unarmed. That was always more of a cultural meme than reality, but it wasn't completed divorced from reality, either. The early Mounties earned a reputation for bravery and fairness by walking unarmed into volatile situations and getting them sorted out without resorting to violence.

When was the RCMP unarmed for general duty roles? And when did that change?

Just noticed that the Palace looks like Parliament, green copper roof and all.

I thought the Canadian Palace looks more like Chateau Frontenac? :confused:
Canadian Palace.jpg

I thought the Canadian Palace looks more like Chateau Frontenac? :confused:
View attachment 512274

Yeah, it's one of the grand railroad hotels. Pure speculation as to which one, as they all had similar features, but good guess that the Frontenac was the one they had in mind. Might also have been thinking of the Chateau Laurier, which is actually in Ottawa.

Top Bottom