Canada

Tactician Zhao said:
perhaps someday we'll see how Canada fairs in a war after it gains independence :p

Independence from the United Kingdom or independence from the United States? ;)

But I LOVE this line of reasoning.

You see, I myself am a serf in TWO of Her Majesty's realms (Australia AND Canada), and am finding it very hard to live amidst all this peace, order and good government. My one hope is that a good, strong American will come along and free me from the shackles of parliamentary democracy, perhaps replacing it with a republican model of some sort, in which every election is fair and proper and the powers of the executive are never abused!

Only THEN will I understand freedom! God Bless America! God Bless America!

Hozchelaga said:
My one hope is that a good, strong American will come along and free me from the shackles of parliamentary democracy, perhaps replacing it with a republican model of some sort, in which every election is fair and proper and the powers of the executive are never abused!

Only THEN will I understand freedom! God Bless America! God Bless America!

well, unless you're sitting on some oil, I wouldn't hold my breath ;)

"THE RIGHT HONORABLE GENTLEMAN REFUSES TO TELL US WHAT HE PLANS TO DO IN ORDER TO ENSURE OASIS WILL NOT BREAK UP!"

Hozchelaga said:
Good call.

(exhales)

:lol:

in all honesty, I have nothing against either Canada or the USA.. I think I may have come off as a jerk in some of my posts, and I did not mean it

every nation will have its faults and peaks (though I can't really think of a downside to living in Canada, it certainly beat the weather and political climate of where I am currently chained)

Jecrell said:
Every nation with a rich history deserves to be in the Civilization series, but for Civilization IV I think they must also have a great leader as well. Who would be the great leader of Canada?

I have no idea, but perhaps someone can fit the bill?

maybe samuel de champlain. hes the one who discovered canada or maybe Paul Martin ( he is the current prime minister and did/is doing some really good things. its cuz of him we dont have a deficit and no debt and that we make extra money. Or maybe Adrienne Clarkson., but i would go for paul martin,

Tactician Zhao said:
well, unless you're sitting on some oil, I wouldn't hold my breath ;)

Aren't the oil-shale fields in Alberta the world's largest petroleum deposit? :mischief:

Tactician Zhao said:
:lol:

in all honesty, I have nothing against either Canada or the USA.. I think I may have come off as a jerk in some of my posts, and I did not mean it

I don't think you wrote anything inappropriate. I have been enjoying reading your posts.

Besides, there's a kind of insanity invested in all of our posts. After all, we are writing anonymously to complete strangers about topics of no real importance, so it's best not to take things seriously.

I don't. :crazyeye:

Hozchelaga said:
I don't think you wrote anything inappropriate. I have been enjoying reading your posts.

Besides, there's a kind of insanity invested in all of our posts. After all, we are writing anonymously to complete strangers about topics of no real importance, so it's best not to take things seriously.

I don't. :crazyeye:

good to hear that.. I'm pretty much the same way, I just sometimes get paranoid that I'm going to offend someone.. nearly nothing I can even imagine offends me, especially on topics such as this.. but sometimes it seems like some people take things too seriously.. and was really enjoying the discussion :thumbsup:

I do agree that Canada shouldnt be in it (I am Canadian, Bc!) but we do have a pretty violent past.

LAnkou said:
as there's a lot of canadian here, is this true that there was Canadian troops everytime UNO get somwhere ?

(UNO = UN?)

We've been on every UN tour.

Edit: Also Canadian and I don't think we should be in there.

Man this is funny.

If we're going to have a leader let it be Stockwell, he did alot to get Canada on center stage. And for crying out loud Bryan Adams isn't our leader, he's our nuclear detterence. You start thinking up ways to invade and whoosh off he goes on another tour. He's canada's UU, replaces the nuke.

BTW Don Cherry is a Prat!

John A Mcdonald should be the leader if Canada was in Civ but it's not and i doubt it ever will be :( the only way it's gonna get in there is by mod so I hope someone makes one.

There are many patriotic Canadians me being one of them, Im joing the military next summer. but most Canadians are pascifist and think that nothing will ever happen to them. Like with all the threat of terrorism in the world today Canadians still dont really seem concerend and if they arnt concered then well neither is the government thats why are military is so undermaned and underfunded but lately things have started looking up as the government has made the biggest increase in defense spending in 20 years and are increasing the overall military by 8000 men and women.

But just so people understand the diffrence here between the US and Canada you have to go back to when the US was founded. The US was founded basically by traitors of the British empire call them what you want but thats what they were. Canada on the other hand was founded by the Loyalist who still felt loyaltiy to Britan so they whent up North to only still britsh controlled settlements which just happened to be french Quebec. after the Revoloutinoary war the States got Greedy and decided they wanted the rest of north america (not including mexico) so they decided to invade Canada in the war of 1812 which they lost. this is a very intersting war that not many people know a hole lot about so look it up very intersting stuff. Canada didnt even have it's own flag until 1965 I believe and didnt cut all the ties with Britan untill 1982 when we fianlly brought our constituition home from Britan. Thats why many Canadians still are loyal to the crown and we have such close ties to Britan. the queen is still basically the leader of Canada and we have a Governer General in our parliment which is the representitve of the queen which must give his/her approval and signature for bills to become laws. sorry this is getting kinda long so I'll stop here hopefully I answered some of your questions about Canada since I have heard some of the same questions over and over. If anyone would like to know anything else just PM me.

spa said:
If you can call the dismal failure to take Canada despite larger numbers and despite the fact that Britain was too busy dealing with Napoleon to do anything a victory :rolleyes:

The only US victory was managing to avoid getting thumped out of existence in the counter attack.

PS I can't believe I walked into this sterotypical American/Canadian debate but damn it I just couldn't resist.

Say what you will but The Brits were totally shocked when we didnt surrender after they burned our Capitol. No Nation had ever before kept on fighting after losing their capitol. Well The Americaan colonists did when NYC was taken but we weren't a nation. Besides 1812 was more about the British hijacking sailors off our ships and the fact we were close(relationship-wise) to France, than about Canada...we invaded Canada because it was easier than walking to England...lol.

Canada, just like the US, Australia, New Zealand, etc.... are offshoots of the grander English/British civilization (and a bit of French). For the most part, the natives were killed off or are marginalized (except not so badly in New Zealand)

Canada has contributed to the world stage....just not by invading and killing people. :rolleyes: Peacekeeping, and humanitarian intervention in a large part were Canadian ideas. Person and Lord Axworthy had a lot to do with those. Canada also very efficently deals with internal terrorism. Americans know anything about the FLQ? Probably not cause they didn't last very long. ;) Trudeau sent in the tanks and they fled. Our legitimate seperatists movements were allowed to express themselves in a national referendum (twice)....as opposed to conqured in a bloody civil war.

Canada hasn't "contributed much" because what it does is largely invisible. And if people can't see it, people can't acknowledge it.

All that being said, Canada should not be in Civ 4. It hasn't ruled a region or empire over history like most/all of the powers in Civ 4.

Also, Canada has a lot of oil (and natural gas) off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador (Grand Banks and Labrador Sea) as well as in the frozen arctic. Although, I shouldn't tell Americans that...they might put us back on the map. ;)

Pounder said:
Looks like with Global Warming et al, Canada is going to be the place to live, may well be the country of the future as it thaws, they seem to be buffered from most of the natural disasters and have the resources the world needs.

Funny that most believe that when global warming finally comes it will bring about another 'mini' iceage, don't think I will be moving to canada anytime soon ;)

-SA

Top Bottom