Canadian MP seeks cancer treatment in California

emzie

wicked witch of the North
Liberal MP Belinda Stronach,who is battling breast cancer, travelled to California last June for an operation that was recommended as part of her treatment, says a report.

Stronach's spokesman, Greg MacEachern, told the Toronto Star that the MP for Newmarket-Aurora had a "later-stage" operation in the U.S. after a Toronto doctor referred her.

"Belinda had one of her later-stage operations in California, after referral from her personal physicians in Toronto. Prior to this, Belinda had surgery and treatment in Toronto, and continues to receive follow-up treatment there," said MacEachern.

He said speed was not the reason why she went to California.

Instead, MacEachern said the decision was made because the U.S. hospital was the best place to have it done due to the type of surgery required.

Stronach was diagnosed last spring with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). The cancer is one of the more treatable forms but Stronach still required a mastectomy -- which was done in Toronto -- and breast reconstruction.

Stronach, who announced last April she would be leaving politics before the next election, paid for the surgery in the U.S., reports the Star.

"As we said back in June when we confirmed the surgery, this is a personal and private matter between Belinda, her family and her physicians. I think you'll understand that because of respect for Belinda's privacy, we refrained from offering specific details around her medical treatment," said MacEachern.

While it is rare for MPs to seek treatment outside Canada, MacEachern said Stronach was not lacking confidence in the system.

"In fact, Belinda thinks very highly of the Canadian health-care system, and uses it when needed for herself and her children, as do all Canadians. As well, her family has clearly demonstrated that support," MacEachern told the Star.

MacEachern did not offer any other details regarding what type of surgery Stronach had or what she paid for it.

Frankly, I'm disgusted. She's an MP for the same Liberals who vowed to never let a privatized system usurp what we have.\

As rich as she is, she can fly wherever she wants for health care. She shouldn't be denying other Canadians from doing the same without leaving the country.

American hospitals are better than Canadian hospitals, no surprise.

Now let's watch as people parlay that into an argument against univeral healthcare insurance, which wouldn't change the ownership of hospitals or your choice of doctors at all, but would just mean that if you weren't on an insurance plan, you'd automatically be put on a bare-bones insurance paid for by the state.

Before... Insured: Go see doctor of your choice, doctor sends bill to your insurance co., insurance co. forwards uncovered remainder of bill to you. No health insurance? You're out of luck.

After... Insured: no difference. Not insured: go see doctor of your choice, doctor sends bill to the Universal Insurance Agency, UIA sends uncovered remainder of bill to you.

The only people who hate this are insurance stooges and dupes of insurance stooges. So quick question, how many of you who would oppose the above, work in insurance?

Hmm.

Canada's problem is government OWNED/RUN hospitals.

Canada's problem is government OWNED/RUN hospitals.

Actually, there are very very few government doctors. Most hospitals are privately owned as well. It's not a government-run system but rather a government-funded system.

Her life is on the line, so I don't blame her for being hypocritical.

Her life is on the line, so I don't blame her for being hypocritical.

Nor do I. However, can you, in turn, not blame her for keeping other Canadians from seeking the same care within Canada?

So basically isn't it affirming what most people agree on?

For ordinary healthcare things, Canada and other countries like that are better.
For stranger diseases and maladies, the USA is the place to be.

Frankly, I'm disgusted. She's an MP for the same Liberals who vowed to never let a privatized system usurp what we have.\

As rich as she is, she can fly wherever she wants for health care. She shouldn't be denying other Canadians from doing the same without leaving the country.

I agree with you. If she does this, then she has no right to prevent other canadians from doing the same.

Going to the U.S. for extra treatment? Can't anyone do this?

If they have the money, yes. How many Canadians can afford to pay for treatment out of pocket? Traveler's insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.

It's not forbidden in any way to seek treatment outside the country... unless she wants to pass laws making it illegal, I don't see the hypocrisy.

If they have the money, yes. How many Canadians can afford to pay for treatment out of pocket? Traveler's insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.

Depends... in Bangkok (for instance) there are some world class hospitals, all privately run and funded, of course. Excellent treatment can be yours for just a few thousand dollars (or less). A little saving up and most Canadians can indee afford that, plus airfare of course.

It's not forbidden in any way to seek treatment outside the country... unless she wants to pass laws making it illegal, I don't see the hypocrisy.

Because she (and the Liberals / NDP) are whole-heartedly against a privatized level of healthcare entering Canada. However, when it was her own neck on the line, she didn't hesitate to skip out on it.

Basically, her party espouses the Canadian system and then she engaged in health tourism. If Canadian healthcare is so great, she should have stuck with it.

It's not as if she is saying that other people cannot go to America and be treated... anyone with the money, American or Canadian (et al) can be treated in American hospitals- anyone without will be turned away, American or Canadian.

It's not as if she is saying that other people cannot go to America and be treated... anyone with the money, American or Canadian (et al) can be treated in American hospitals- anyone without will be turned away, American or Canadian.

No, but she is saying that other canadians SHOULDN'T have to go to America to get treated, at least accordion to what she ran on last election. Therein lies the hypocrasy.

No, but she is saying that other canadians SHOULDN'T have to go to America to get treated, at least accordion to what she ran on last election. Therein lies the hypocrasy.

Should not have to, but sometimes they do, so let's work on a way to make it so that they don't.

Hey Presto! Hypocrisy disappears.

Why is this surprising Augurey? Socialized welfare is for the proles.

Should not have to, but sometimes they do, so let's work on a way to make it so that they don't.

Hey Presto! Hypocrisy disappears.

I completely agree.

Why is this surprising Augurey? Socialized welfare is for the proles.

I've used both systems and vastly preferred my Canadian experience. But I've never needed anything major and I am dismayed that for something life saving, a (very) prominent Lib MP decided the system her party champions wasn't good enough for her. If it wasn't good enough for her, it makes me fearful for the thousands of Canadians not as fortunate.

I've used both systems and vastly preferred my Canadian experience. But I've never needed anything major and I am dismayed that for something life saving, a (very) prominent Lib MP decided the system her party champions wasn't good enough for her. If it wasn't good enough for her, it makes me fearful for the thousands of Canadians not as fortunate.
So basically you're upset that a politician is acting hypocritically in her own best interest?

That's pretty much democracy. It sucks, but since democracy sucks, well....not much you can do about it, unfortunately.

So basically you're upset that a politician is acting hypocritically in her own best interest?

That's pretty much democracy. It sucks, but since democracy sucks, well....not much you can do about it, unfortunately.

No, I don't care when Canadians seek treatment in the US or anywhere else (though very few actually do). I'm upset that a Liberal MP told Canadians that what we have is fine, and then turned around and didn't use it. If it's not fine for her, then it's not fine and needs to be fixed.

American medicine, the best money can buy.

Two ways to look at that.

Top Bottom