[BTS] Cannot survive the Industrial era at Emperor difficulty

@Oaq

It is now 680AD, and I have over 550 beakers/turn (breaking even at about 50%), 23 cities, and killed off 3 civs. I have printing press and education and am closing in on lib for communism. Conquest is just about done for this point.

I am willing to bet this is much further than you have reached by your save in 680AD, by any measure. My current position is what you are capable of when you maximize expansion instead of holing up in a corner, and learn to build an economy.

Spoiler :

20200328044806_1.jpg

Attachments

• Giuseppe Conte AD-0680 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    180.4 KB · Views: 71
@Oaq
There are many expert and helpful players on this thread. It is true that you made multiple mistakes. I think, if someone is doing multiple things incorrectly, it is more helpful to just re-learn from scratch.

https:// www. youtube. com/ watch?v=wm1CQxACekg

https://www. youtube. com/ watch?v=foJlw1EQIso

I've been watching Lain's playthroughs lately. It's different from HoF in that you don't re-roll until the perfect start. It's more natural and widely-applicable. No magic - - just attention to details and not forgetting things.

Reactions: Oaq
@Oaq

It is now 680AD, and I have over 550 beakers/turn (breaking even at about 50%), 23 cities, and killed off 3 civs. I have printing press and education and am closing in on lib for communism. Conquest is just about done for this point.

I am willing to bet this is much further than you have reached by your save in 680AD, by any measure.

You win that bet.

Apparently, you are winning the game, as well. I cannot conceive of 23 cities in 680AD.

Writing two months later, I can report that the advice in this thread is generally good. I have not yet won at Emperor difficulty but, having received the advice, I can now penetrate all the way to the space age with a realistic chance to win.

Most importantly, you have taught me how to be aggressive in wars I can actually win. One must know when to strike. One must foresee a war 25 turns or so before the war actually breaks out. Technology is crucial, which means that cottages are crucial. And one must chop some wood.

When one first tries Emperor difficulty, all wars seem to be futile wars of attrition; but wars can be won without excessive attrition, after all, can't they? One needs to know how to absorb an enemy attack, however, and when to launch a counterattack (not too soon, not too late, too late being worse than too soon). One also needs to read the diplomatic situation correctly before the war breaks out.

Civ4 is a deeper game than Civ3. Thank you for the advice.

If you get the start right, expand to grab enough land and work on diplomacy the rest should follow. Emperor is quite winnable. Once you have 10-15 cities you will generally be larger than any AI on map under normal maps.

Reactions: Oaq
Top Bottom