• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Note this is a serious question, but what do Europeans call "popcorn"? Do they call it "popmaize"? Or something completely different?
In Norwegian it is just "popkorn", but to put it in perspective, a grain of sand is called "sandkorn", because we use the word for anything that is smaller than a pea. I think the root of the word corn really means: something small; and that it is reflected in many european languages including British.

Both the word corn and grain stems from the same indoeuropean word "grano". (the latin word "granum" and the english word "core" are also variations of that word.)

Most types of seeds could be thought of as corn in many countries; in Britain corn is usually wheat, in Ireland/Scotland it is oat, and in germany it is often rye.

We call it popcorn, because that's its name. We certainly don't call maize corn though, if it ever comes up in conversation. Likewise, we call those little yellow things sweetcorn, because that's what it's called too. "Cornflakes" are made with wheat, though.

Sorry... I'm trying to stay neutral on this discussion but to a US ear, Maize means something people in Mexico eat - whatever it may be. Maybe vaguely has something to do with corn. Corn is not A grain it is THE grain that comes on a cob. To consider that it means generically "grain" is actually kinda offensive. It means corn and corn means corn. To say otherwise is to utilize another language.

I don't see how it can be offensive that "corn" means something else in another country, cereal grains specifically across the pond. That said, Thunderbrd, that 'other language' is also English and whilst US English speakers are the largest group of English speakers in the world, they're still less than half of the Anglosphone world. With current trends, I doubt it will be too long before Indian English takes over that distinction from US English as well.

To add to the debate.

There are four main cereal grain crops in C2C.

Wheat, Barley and Rice. [Old World]
Corn. [New World]

In Europe (now):

Corn is either Maize - that is fed to livestock.
Corn on the cob - same as maize (but people are squemish, don't like to think they eat the same food as cattle etc).
Sweetcorn - Corn with the kernals removed from the husk.

Plus many derivatives - popcorn. polenta etc.

The other three are not usually refered to as corn, they are cereal grains.

Cereal, a group of grasses cultivated for their edible seeds. In British English, "corn" can mean any cereal.

The confusion probably comes from Kelloggs, who called their wheat flakes - corn flakes.

This should probably go under subdued animals, but I will place it in both. A Subdued Elephant can create an elephant herd, and a Tamed Elephant can also create an elephant herd. Everything a Subdued Elephant can do, a tamed elephant can do.

A Subdued Rhino can create the myth of the unicorn. A Tamed Rhino CANNOT.

Should not any tamed animal create everything it's subdued version can?

Sorry... I'm trying to stay neutral on this discussion but to a US ear, Maize means something people in Mexico eat - whatever it may be. Maybe vaguely has something to do with corn. Corn is not A grain it is THE grain that comes on a cob. To consider that it means generically "grain" is actually kinda offensive. It means corn and corn means corn. To say otherwise is to utilize another language.

What about a "kernel"? Is that universal or are their different meanings for a seed of Zea mays (using the Latin since that stays the same no matter your language).

I don't see how it can be offensive that "corn" means something else in another country, cereal grains specifically across the pond. That said, Thunderbrd, that 'other language' is also English and whilst US English speakers are the largest group of English speakers in the world, they're still less than half of the Anglosphone world. With current trends, I doubt it will be too long before Indian English takes over that distinction from US English as well.
It's not 'offensive' so much as it is disturbing. It's like finding out that half the world considers the word Banana to mean 'generic fruit' and having someone argue that a foreign term from a Columbian native tribe that you've heard but never really USED in every day language is what a banana should actually be called and that apples, too, are Bananas. It just does NOT sit right.

To add to the debate.

There are four main cereal grain crops in C2C.

Wheat, Barley and Rice. [Old World]
Corn. [New World]

In Europe (now):

Corn is either Maize - that is fed to livestock.
Corn on the cob - same as maize (but people are squemish, don't like to think they eat the same food as cattle etc).
Sweetcorn - Corn with the kernals removed from the husk.

Plus many derivatives - popcorn. polenta etc.

The other three are not usually refered to as corn, they are cereal grains.

The confusion probably comes from Kelloggs, who called their wheat flakes - corn flakes.
Well... HERE, corn flakes are actually made from corn. If they kept the name and changed the grain elsewhere then yeah, they're the ones at fault for perpetuating a major international confusion (that they wouldn't at the time have figured would ever be an issue since the world was never expected to become quite as global as it is today.)

Either things have changed or I am missing something. I researched Writing, but not one of the civs I talked to had the option of establish embassy. Not just red lined, but no listed at all. No list for right of passage either. Then as time went on, some of the civs talked to me to ask for right of passage, and only then did the establish embassy show up as an option, even if I that civ would not let me choose that option.

I researched currency, I get notified that xyz civ has x amount for trade. but when I click on that xyz civ, no money is listed in the trade items.

To add to the debate.
Which country does that apply to?

Keloggs Corn flakes is made of maize in Scandinavia, France, Spain and Germany as far as I know. It is quite unusual to change the main ingredients of a commercial brand.

I too was under the impression that British corn flakes were made with wheat, but it's possible that we're wrong. Definitely though, when we talk about golden ears of corn, we're referring fields of wheat rustling in the breeze. I imagine that that too is different in the US. :p

If we wanted a neutral way to get around the issue, simply have a single Corn God circle (which requires maize, wheat, rye or barley) and let each reader decide for themselves what that is.

There you go. You learn something new every day. :)

My BAD.

The referance to wheat was from Wiki. They did start with wheat flakes (accidently.) Then over the years tried other grains.

Cornflakes now uses mainly Maize (corn) and also some Barley - I just checked the packet.

This is entirely unrelated, but just food for thought:

I'd be surprised if it hasn't come up before, but for the sake of realism, consider switching innocuous animals (giraffes, pigeons, ducks, etc.) to "can only defend." I was attacked by a flamingo the other day and didn't know whether to laugh or shake my head, so I did both, killing two birds with one stone sort of like one bird kills two stone throwers.

Alternatively, just cut out the ridiculously inoffensive ones, such as the terrifying Duck of Doom.

Top Bottom